Battle of the 30s

Brendan

WKR
Broz did a very detailed comparison like this with the 300WM and 30 Nosler over on LRO. Might be worth looking up to help as a starting point if you haven't already.

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
I have seen it. I have already owned two custom 300WM and two 30 Noslers. I am not going to give out any spoilers but I will say I have had quite different results. As a matter of fact I started playing with the 30 as Jeff's rifle was being built. Jeff is a great guy with a wealth of knowledge. We will see when this is over where the PRC fits.

gbflyer

WKR
Cool. Wish I had an extra 300 H&H barrel to send ya for a real piece of nostalgia.

davsco

WKR
yeah 300wsm would be a nice add to the test, but you can't test everything...

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
yeah 300wsm would be a nice add to the test, but you can't test everything...

You send the barrel I will do the testing. I already have WSM brass and dies. The WSM is well documented to have a accuracy node around 2850 with 215s but usually takes a 28-30"barrel to get there with H4350(the preferred powder). When it comes to pure accuracy it would be hard to beat the WSM.

deadwolf

WKR
You send the barrel I will do the testing. I already have WSM brass and dies. The WSM is well documented to have a accuracy node around 2850 with 215s but usually takes a 28-30"barrel to get there with H4350(the preferred powder). When it comes to pure accuracy it would be hard to beat the WSM.

I’d like to be able to load 215’s in my 300wsm, but I’m hobbled by the short mag box on my CA Ridgeline @ 2.90” oal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
FURMAN

FURMAN

WKR
Yes, If I were going to go wsm it would be in a defiance medium or a long action.

deadwolf

WKR
Yes, If I were going to go wsm it would be in a defiance medium or a long action.

Knowing what I know now, if I wanted to shoot anything over 185’s I would’ve stuck with a 300win mag. The draw for me with the WSM is the short action itself, for all the reasons people like short actions. And in all honesty, for my hunting I don’t really need anything over a 185. But...the 215s for moose and bear would sure be nice, though not at all necessary.

So I can understand doing a WSM or SAUM on a medium action but not on a long action. If a guy was gonna do that, I think you might as well just go for a 300 win mag, 30 Nosler or Rum. And if you want to shoot the bigger bullets and load long on a short action, you’re gonna need a Wyatt’s and to buy a custom reamer, which is exactly what I plan to have done on my next project.

Looking forward to the results/outcome from the OP!

Best of luck with your testing. It should be informative and a lot of fun. Even staying as precise as you are with barrel length and everything else, and even if you used the exact make of barrel as the other chamberings, the velocities could still be skewed by a lot of different factors. That being said, you probably cannot do it much more precise then you are attempting to.

Maybe you should throw a 30-06 in the mix just for fun and just because so many of us love that cartridge. Have a 30-06 laying around with a 26" barrel on it to play with. I know the velocities would not be close, but Id like to see how the accuracy would be.

David

davsco

WKR

super appreciate the offer but it's just a caliber i'm thinking about getting. so no gun and no barrel yet. and i don't even handload, at least yet though it seems unlikely. i (lefty with limited choices) keep going back and forth between getting a tikka t3x or holding off and maybe something a little better will come along without a huge wait and lefty tax. thx for doing the testing!

ckleeves

WKR
We will see when this is over where the PRC fits.

My guess is right between the Nosler and WM.
Are you using Saami chambers in all the rifles or are the WM and Nosler going to be throated for the 215’s? I have a 300 WM reamer that’s set up for the 215 if you need it.

Danny1788

FNG
What about the 300Norma it should fit in that as well unless you are limiting it to .532" case heads. The 300 Norma I chambered was pretty impressive.

sneaky

"DADDY"
What about the 300Norma it should fit in that as well unless you are limiting it to .532" case heads. The 300 Norma I chambered was pretty impressive.
I think most guys don't want to carry that big action around. The writing seems to be on the wall for the 300 Norma to not be as readily accepted as they thought it was going to be. It's nice to see this test, but in reality, how many more calibers do we really need at this point?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

how many more calibers do we really need at this point?

None. We just need broader adaption of some of the new ones and more brass options. 6 dasher, 6.5 and 300 PRC, 28 and 30 nosler, 6.5 and 7 SAUM, and I’ll be happy.

Norma case is a bad bitch but finding an action for it kind of sucks. They should have made 30 degree shoulders too.

sneaky

"DADDY"
None. We just need broader adaption of some of the new ones and more brass options. 6 dasher, 6.5 and 300 PRC, 28 and 30 nosler, 6.5 and 7 SAUM, and I’ll be happy.

Norma case is a bad bitch but finding an action for it kind of sucks. They should have made 30 degree shoulders too.
It says a lot when the group they made that round for passed on it. I wouldn't want to carry the extra weight of the extra large action and those rounds, when a 300 PRC will do almost the same thing, or a 30 Nos.

All of the new variants are just minuscule changes to existing cases. I'll stick with a handful I'll load for and call it good. No PRS darlings for me.