Bear Attacks Hunter & Guide (Guide Missing in WY)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jd259

WKR
Fighting a bear with your hands, okay. The moment you try to catch a gun to shoot the bear is all the time it needs to rip your neck off. The hunting guide guy is an amateur

Wow you should be banned for even making a ridiculous statement like that... a father/husband lost his life and that’s what you have to say about him? Your an absolute joke of a human.

spaniel

FNG
Very sad for all involved. A lot of emotion in this thread.

All I will say, is gun or spray, have it on you at all times. Don't need to get back to your pack. When I am in grizz country, my 44Mag is in a paddle holster on the hip belt of my pack. If for any reason I drop my pack, the first thing I do is transfer that holster to my waist belt. The MOST LIKELY time you are to encounter a bear is when you are dealing with a carcass.

Mercyme, could you please share your vast and unending knowledge of bear encounters with the rest of us???? Pretty please??? Hell man, I bet I had more bear encounters in the last week than you'll have in ten lifetimes. I'm still waiting for your firsthand account of the amateurism of the "hunting guide guy". Can't wait for those succulent pearls of wisdom to grace this thread. Oh wait....never mind, that's not gonna happen. You just realized that you are the worst kind of jackass; and you'll be spending the night under your bed in your mom's basement sucking your thumb, clutching your beloved IPad, wishing your favorite Hushlife flattie would fit under there too. PM me if your balls drop and you want to discuss the first ten ways you went wrong. Yes, I do know the man. And yes, you made it personal.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I took Mercyme’s comment as an over the top sarcastic joke.
Maybe too early for that....

Sad deal.

Not sure what to make of the gun toss and flee.

I think most attacks the bear just neutralizes the threat then leaves. Perhaps that’s the thought with flee and call for help rather than stay and fight till the death.

I’ll have to read Alaskan bear tales again. Woods in the dark was rough after the first reading though. But I was a teen in Alaska....

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
Yep sad Deal forsure.

When out in nature its a new ball game called survival. I heard it hear once " I'd rather be judge by 12 then carried by 6". That really stuck with when I heard that. Yes I've had an 800lb grizz charge me and my 12 yr old this yr, game changer for sure on my thoughts on them. There's been some real sh#@y comments on here from people who probably don't get out of their trucks to hunt, pretty easy being a tough guy from a 3/4 ton 4x4!

My respect to the guide and his family and friends and to the hunter who will never be the same.

Mercyme, could you please share your vast and unending knowledge of bear encounters with the rest of us???? Pretty please??? Hell man, I bet I had more bear encounters in the last week than you'll have in ten lifetimes. I'm still waiting for your firsthand account of the amateurism of the "hunting guide guy". Can't wait for those succulent pearls of wisdom to grace this thread. Oh wait....never mind, that's not gonna happen. You just realized that you are the worst kind of jackass; and you'll be spending the night under your bed in your mom's basement sucking your thumb, clutching your beloved IPad, wishing your favorite Hushlife flattie would fit under there too. PM me if your balls drop and you want to discuss the first ten ways you went wrong. Yes, I do know the man. And yes, you made it personal.

bluetick - Sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to your buddy's kids and wife.

Fatcamp

WKR
Sounds like the cub was caught in the snare- the sow charged them when they got there. Also sounds like both bears had pepper spray remnants and other signs that they were the culprits.

Game & Fish: We got the right bears, one was sprayed - more details of the encounter - Buckrail - Jackson Hole news

They say it isn't normal behavior but it sure sounds to me like bears intrude on kills in that area all the time. Not just defend their food. They actively head towards rifle shots according to what I hear.

Mercyme

Banned
i think the best way to handle bear is by running, those things are very big and not so much of a good runner, its surprising a bear attacked two armed men and one is mission.

Mercyme, hahahaha. Damn son, now I realize I'm dealing with a level of intelligence that almost approaches the bacterial level. Go back to your biologically and genetically unsound existence and shut up. Outrun a Grizzly, wow....seriously???? It's good to have heard the best example of the worst advice ever.

adamm88

WKR
Sad deal especially for his kids.

Question for people who are familiar with the area, is this the area where the griz hunt is supposed to be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think the best way to handle bear is by running, those things are very big and not so much of a good runner, its surprising a bear attacked two armed men and one is mission.

Can one of the mods please ban this fool? We don't need these kind of people on here.

Schism

WKR
My prayers are with both men and their families. May God help them in this time of tragedy.

I’m sorry for the loss of your friend, Bluetick. My heart goes out to you.

hi2u

FNG
Mercy is trolling...

The majority of this thread is overlooking the cowardliness of the hunter. Everyone who hunts knows, do not run from a bear. He left the guide to die... No way around it. Everyone needs to look at the evidence and story told.

Shrek

WKR
Mercy is trolling...

The majority of this thread is overlooking the cowardliness of the hunter. Everyone who hunts knows, do not run from a bear. He left the guide to die... No way around it. Everyone needs to look at the evidence and story told.
I can’t go so far as calling him a coward. We weren’t there and we don’t know what he was told to do in this situation. This didn’t unfold over hours on the internet but in seconds in real life. What might appear cowardly on the internet may have been the logical thing to do in IRL. Lots of reasons he might have tried to toss the pistol to the guide and went for help. We weren’t there...

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Mercy is trolling...

Please do not let this forum turn into something like 24 hour campfire. We do not know if the guy was a coward-certainly seems odd that he would give up a gun then run. This assuming the details we have so far are accurate.

And also ignore idiots instead of calling them out. Stupid people reveal themselves and you can see the spelling and obvious stupidity of the moron that he/she/it is only trying to get responses. Do not humor this goofball-and I do not mean hi2u is the offender but I see no sense in even typing this morons screen name.

Very sad event to be sure. Who knows if the truth ever get told here.

Prayers for the friends and family of this man!

Mercyme

Banned

Oh this is going to be fun, first of all, i wonder how a bear snicks up on you, i mean these thing are large and loud, a baby could see them coming, now we have two armed hunters that are sane, (Not Insane or high on cheap drugs)...among them is a guide who's job is to weigh in when things get out of hand, basically "GUIDE" hunters. Now this two guys got mauled by a bear and the guide is missing, call me a perfectionist but i';; tell you this, i believe when things goes wrong, someone is to be blamed for not going their job right. i haven't been attacked by a bear but i have been hunting since i was a 20 years old. i have been skinning rabbits, shooting and working on building rifles, if i was out there with a friend or my one of my brother, i assure you my good sir that i will be able to take that bear down, a lung shot will do the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.