Bear Behavior and Elevation

jpkoepse

FNG
Context: Spring Bear out west

In high elevation areas (4.5k - 8k), are bears staying in their dens much longer than bears who live in lower elevation areas?

Do you find most bears at a specific elevation band?

Do you find that the "elevation band" you are spotting bears at varies by location based on elevation at same time of year?

Example:

May XX
Spot X (elevation 1800-5000ft) - Bears spotted at 4k
Spot Y (elevation 4000-8500ft) - Would you expect to see bears at 4k here?

Background: Been hunting the west for spring bear for 4 years. Finally had success this year. Have hunted the same area where elevation is 2000 - 5500 ft. Interested in hunting higher elevation area and trying to understand what elevation I should be looking at, when.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Great question-in general, around me-the snow is the biggest factor on timing, as the green up drives the action.
The elevation band you are speaking of is also dependent on snow levels.
My first and biggest indicator is the snow water equivalent and how soon/late is spring melt off.
Be interested to hear other input.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen bears at 4800’ and 7300’ the last five days. I can’t seem to find a rhyme or reason for elevation. I seen a lot of elk at both elevations as well which was puzzling too. This was my first year spring bear hunting but I noticed wherever I found elk- I found bears. I am curious to see what the fall patterns are?

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I have seen bears at 4800’ and 7300’ the last five days. I can’t seem to find a rhyme or reason for elevation. I seen a lot of elk at both elevations as well which was puzzling too. This was my first year spring bear hunting but I noticed wherever I found elk- I found bears. I am curious to see what the fall patterns are?
Elk and bear elevation seems to correlate for me as well. If elk are up higher than I am, I dont tend to see bears unless they are dinks. Depends on snow levels overall and different areas of the state. I have an area that is 3k feet, great spot beginning of April as it is a great denning area but come May they are gone if there's snow melt off at 4500 feet.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

NCTrees

Lil-Rokslider
Elk and bear elevation seems to correlate for me as well. If elk are up higher than I am, I dont tend to see bears unless they are dinks. Depends on snow levels overall and different areas of the state. I have an area that is 3k feet, great spot beginning of April as it is a great denning area but come May they are gone if there's snow melt off at 4500 feet.

Perhaps bears are hanging around the heards this time of year to pick off calves? Not sure there is a correlation with elk but the bears here are brutal on fawns.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Perhaps bears are hanging around the heards this time of year to pick off calves? Not sure there is a correlation with elk but the bears here are brutal on fawns.
They do put a hurting on calves. I also think both elk and bears know how to find the best vegetation and follow it up around the same pace.

MT-nuffgun

Lil-Rokslider
I’m sure they are there partly for the calves but while I was there a few days ago there were no calves yet and the elk and a nice color phase bear were feeding on the lush green slope about 100 yards apart and it seemed like they were not concerned with one another at all. Not enough light to get to that bear and it was my last evening hunting. Bummer

akcabin

Lil-Rokslider
I would believe that depends on a few things. Food availability, less likely to come out until there is food.
Sow or boar. Sows having a mothering instinct will likely not roam as much. Boars will be boys.
Population.
And bears can be bears, unpredictable. So lots of correct answers