bears and wolves in Idaho unit 67?

I'm from Kansas, and heading out to Idaho in october to do my first western mule deer hunt and I was wondering if anyone in the area has had any run ins with bears (black or grizz) or wolves?

KurtR

WKR
I haven’t hunted that unit know a guy who has and he has seen both grizz and wolves. I would assume black bears are there to but they generally are not a problem

Definitely more wolves and black bears. Grizzlies are probably there somewhere although I’ve never seen them in there and never want to either. You’re in pretty close proximity to the Tetons so you can do the math.

VANDAL

WKR
I was charged this spring while shed hunting by a black bear sow with cubs in 67. She came at me 3 different times even after I emptied my bear spray on her. It was quite the rodeo. Odd thing was she saw me over 100 yards away and came at me like a rocket. She could have easily turned and ran the other way but chose to charge.

I’ve never seen a grizzly in that unit but hear of a few sightings every year. I’m much more cautious in there now while hiking around, especially in the thick draws below the high country.

If you leave your camp unattended for long periods of time or stashed within reach, you can bet it will be torn up by a bear sooner or later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Parkercox77
That had to be scary! Thanks for the heads up! Would you recommend keeping everything in a vehicle? Or keep food and such a few hundred yards from where you camp?

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it stashed in the air from 550 cord hung off a branch. Not in a car. Bears can and will rip a door right off for a box of cereal or whatever it can smell. It happens in Tahoe regularly.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I used to live and work in Yosemite. You should see how quick a bear can get into a car. They reach up, hook their claws on the door frame and pull down. Boom. Busted glass and broke window frame. They can rip through a seat in a few seconds to get to anything that smells. I watched one walk through a parking lot one night busting windows out of cars at random. Just swatted at them and shattered windows. I'd hang food and think seriously about a bear fence around camp. Peace of mind could be worth it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk