Becoming the supervisor of your coworkers / shiftwork questions

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I appreciate every response and have read them multiple times. I even let the wife read this thread which means my internet cover is now blown! :)

I’ve been in HR management for ten years, and every time I interview someone for a leadership position I ask why they want the responsibility because it is so much more stress and worry. I don’t really ask to get any specific answer, but I want them to think about it. Being responsible for other people and projects is not for everyone. Most supervisors I have worked with find that part of the job to be the least satisfying (hence why I ask the question).

Here's where I'm torn. I have ideas to improve morale and the culture in the office which is desperately needed. I feel like I could accomplish this but the office manager also micromanages quite a bit. He only has a couple years left so that may not even be an issue either.

Since you are in HR....my coworker is also my "out west" hunting partner. I am guessing that would have to change if I became his supervisor. I really don't see a way around that.

On the flip side, could you work for the other guy if he gets the boss job?

We started around the same time and used to hang out quite a bit before we got married and had kids. Honestly, he's kind of a prick but has his good qualities too. I have a good example. I asked him what he thought of the supervisor job since it might come open in the next year and if he'd be interested. He said and I quote, "what choice do I have?" I asked what he meant and he said, "well, who else would they pick for it?" So yeah that's what I'm dealing with and I was frankly kinda shocked by such a smug comment. I don't think he knows I'm also being considered.

You've got some things to think about long and hard and only you can come up with the answer.

You said you enjoy what you do now and this promotion doesn't appeal to you. Some people enjoy their position and do not want nor are wired to be boss. You mentioned that the new responsibilities doesn't appeal to you or interest you multiple times. Once you are in the position, more than likely the stress will be even more than you can imagine. I don't know what you do, but it will definitely be more stress. You will probably wake up in the middle of the night with work on your mind or go to bed with work on your mind. There will be days you lose sleep because of work, have work on your mind on the weekend or off times. If it doesn't appeal to you now there is a good chance you will really resent it once you are under the stresses.

Then again you may decide the joys of the position outweigh the stress and downsides.

You've got a lot of soul searching and contemplation ahead of you.

Appreciate the post. I've even been stressing about this ever since my supervisor told me in my progress review that he'd like me to fill his shoes. I was humbled but stressed almost immediately.

I’m in a leadership position and have been supervising people most of the last decade. I will offer a couple thoughts on your situation. 1.) If you take the promotion do it for the right reasons. Not everyone is cut out for leading people. Almost anyone can manage people but leading is the key and believe me there is a distinction between managing and leading. I CHOSE to be in a leadership position because I care about the work my agency does and I DEEPLY CARE about the people around me and being the “boss” lets me support them much better than if I’m just another one of the guys. 2.) don’t worry about supervision of your current coworkers. If you are good at your job and a competent employee, along with being a good human being they will give you the respect of the position as well as the respect to you as a person. 3. If you don’t take it don’t complain about the person that does.

I completely understand the difference b/c we experience that in our office now. There seems to be a disconnect between supervision and "the rest of us". Part of me thinks I could improve things since I came up through the ranks and know the ins and outs and how we all feel. I also know that you can't please everyone. I have had several coworkers tell me they'd prefer me over anyone else in that position.

I agree with many of the above. The way you worded your initial statement, you should not take the position. If your harping about peoples "BS & Sickness" I can say you aren't cut out for the role and likely a better asset to the company in your current role. Not hating your job is a luxury not many people have. Hold onto that.

Appreciate the reply and you make some good points.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Obviously you are a leader or you wouldn’t have been asked to fill the position. So, take that with the advice about how it’s not for everyone.

Only you can decide what’s the best for you and yours. More money means more investment opportunity’s. We can all talk shop about the time off. But, we’d have to include at the cost of less time with your family in the current position you are at. Which few have. And, you gotta look at the big picture

My outside look in says you could use the extra money. To shorten your employment time if nothing else. And, That you’d do fine managing people. The other stuff is dictated only by you.

Good luck and God Bless.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. We have two supervisors and a manager in our office. The other supervisor has told me he's on my side and pulling for me. I really need to have a talk with him as he was in my position years ago and we share the same interests. I think he had initial regrets but seems to enjoy the position now.

Do you trust the people who will be above you? You will become the person expected to implement their ideas, eveb if those ideas are BS. Though, you will be able to filter some of the BS before it reaches your people.

Are you comfortable saying "this is on me." I have had leaders refuse to put directives in writing (and threaten me for documenting that I did something in compliance with their directive), but expect me to comply. I have told people under me "chart that you told me (i.e. put it in a legal document) and that I said no, I will answer for the why if we get called to the table."

For me, I stepped out of leadership due to the people over me. It is one thing to shoulder BS, it is another to have to pass it down onto others.

Hopefully, none of the applies to your situation, but it is something I failed to think of when taking on more responsibility.

I actually think some of this would apply and is part of the reason I am hesitant about the position. Did you go back to your previous position by chance?

Sounds like you like your current job and already know you wont like the new one as much. You didnt mention money so I feel like you its not enough to motivate you to deal with the BS.

The salary increase is one of the missing pieces. It's kinda hard to ask your supervisor what you'd be making in his position. :) Thanks.

I would consider it if it allows for a transfer of some sort. Being the guy who got picked for management, well that's a title you really need to decide if you want.

I agree. A transfer would make this easier. What do you mean exactly about being the guy that got picked for management and liking that title? I could see if it was nepotism and undeserved.

if you can separate off time from work the man get after it and climb the ladder and. Make as much money as you can ! Other wise look at that cup half full, seems like you got a good thing going.

Pm me if you want more insight on my experience.

Brandon

Appreciate the insight. I'll shoot you a PM tomorrow. Thanks.

Take the promotion.

People promote for lots of reasons.

Money
Schedule
Leadership desires
Poor bosses
Tired of their job.

The biggest is probably money. I would never dismiss that in the decision. But it wouldn't be my only consideration.

Read some leadership books. My favorite so far is extreme accountability. There are others.

You've got time to decide. Track to the wife, talk to your parents maybe someone else who knows you.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the book recommendation. I actually thought about picking up a book or two. I'll give it a read.

hodgeman

WKR
I made the leap to management years ago. Everybody wants to be the boss until it's time to do boss shit. If you're a leader, then lead. That may be why your current boss wants you to take the job- he sees it in you.

Some of your friends will no longer be your friends. You'll make new ones. If positional authority can spoil your friendship, it was never solid enough anyway. I'm headed out hunting this week with a guy I worked for for 12 years. He's been retired for 6 and we're still best friends.

Michael54

WKR
I went from regional manager of a trucking company of over 300 employees for 10 years to a logistics coordinator for a contractor. It was the best thing i've ever done. As far as work ladder goes i'm now on one of the bottom 3 rungs and the pay isnt as good. However being able to leave work at work and being home when im home has done wonders for my marriage. 3 years ago i was borderline moving out and getting a divorce. The reduced stress from work has done wonders for my family. The if not me then who mentality lead to some of the worst years of my life. Nothing quite like stressing over making sure 300 employees keep a steady paycheck and getting a big F YOU in return. It usually starts with your work friends trying to take advantage of you and ends with a whole bunch of bs. If you can work for the other guy let him have it and keep doing what makes you happy.

WCB

WKR
No reasons your friendships can't stay intact. It is called being an adult. But I have seen people change once they go to management and some people can't handle it. Same with workers once someone moves up they label them a sellout instantly.

Money is obviously a major decision when you have bills and a family. However, sounds like with the "mico managing" office manger you are going to be a yes man or just a punching bag between him and the work force.

However I agree with a few other people. If you have no interest in the things a supervisor has to do (scheduling, incompetence, discipline) don't even think about taking the job. Why? because that is literally what you are supposed to do. I know you said you would give it your all but its not the same as powering through manual labor. Think of all the stupid things your current coworkers or others in the company complain about or try to get away with....you now have to deal with that on top of probably another 40-50% of crap with those same people that you don't hear about. Supervisor 7a,-4pm jobs turn into 24hr on call if not physically it probably will be mentally.

Unless you see a good future line of promotion to a job you would more desire or the pay is good enough where you are thinking of a deadline number of years to bank money and retire or get out for another opportunity from what you wrote in your posts, I wouldn't do it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I actually think some of this would apply and is part of the reason I am hesitant about the position. Did you go back to your previous position by chance?

I was able to go back, I came close to burning bridges though.

I agree. A transfer would make this easier. What do you mean exactly about being the guy that got picked for management and liking that title? I could see if it was nepotism and undeserved.

It's just really tough managing your friends. It's what people have eluded to in the other posts. Some are going to have resentment that they were overlooked, some feel like they get special treatment from knowing and working with you. It's why a lot of times a company will hire management from outside, and why it's best for management to not socialize with employees.

If you are put in the position of overseeing your coworkers, the company is expecting you to do exactly that. Your previous coworkers look at it as having a friend in management. Many times a person does change with that position, either from the responsibility or seeing a different side of things. You are likely going to need to pick a side on many things. Make sure you can seperate work life from the rest of your life. It sucks when you get to the point that you can't leave work at work.

What kind of direct supervisor would you have above you and what is the company culture? Your boss and the company culture will be the biggest impact to your success and enjoyment of a new role. I had an opportunity in my current position to advance but from prior experience I recognized the challenge/reward ratio issues and have not regretted my choice. Many guys chase leadership roles for a title and a pay check, not because they want the actual job. I’ve known my current boss for 10 years, he’s been a ladder climber the whole time, and bitched about every job he’s been promoted to. He’s currently in the job he wanted 10 years ago and miserable and in over his head. If you don’t like the job your taking today, you probably won’t like it tomorrow.
It sounds like your going into it with your eyes open. Be objective in the decision and you’ll be ok. I was fortunate to be in management early in my career and it’s helped shape my priorities since. Time off being my priority, lol.

I’ve been in HR management for ten years, and every time I interview someone for a leadership position I ask why they want the responsibility because it is so much more stress and worry. I don’t really ask to get any specific answer, but I want them to think about it. Being responsible for other people and projects is not for everyone. Most supervisors I have worked with find that part of the job to be the least satisfying (hence why I ask the question).

If you are happy in your current lifestyle and income, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do not take this job just for the higher pay. Only take it if you think it will make you enjoy work more. I can guarantee the extra money won’t make you happier if the work isn’t what you want to do. I’ve doubled my salary the last 2-3 years and feel no happier than before.

You said “once I walk out the door, I don't have anything hanging over my head.” I have not been in that position since college, and envy those that are. The first thing I think about when my head hits the pillow and when my eyes open in the morning is work. I can usually let go on the weekends and stuff but not everyone can.

Do what you think will make you happiest without money as part of the equation. And if you decide to take a risk and go for it, see if your company has a policy that allows you to go back to your old position if this doesn’t work out.
Im an HR professional as well. Agree consider the pros and cons. What is most important to you?

how much politics and BS are you expecting? What would your new manager be like? Your new manager is going to really determine if you'll be happy. Your direct manager has the greatest impact on all the HR bs like engagement, your happiness, your pay etc. if you like the manager youll be workong for, Id go for it.

Gonna add after reading a lot of the doom and gloom posts that things with ypur coworkers arent always going to go bad. I do performance management and leadership development as my HR discipline. PM me if you want to go deep into some specifics of transistioning from peer to leader and i have some tips I can share.

Going back to seeing the kids every night... the points about your sanity above are great, but in my mind what will work out best for the family is the ticket.

I moved up in my career and find myself in a leadership position. Do I like it? Is it easy? Am I great at maintaining relationships? Am I the best fit? Probably not... and I sure do miss punching the clock and keeping my head down which is a fine take on your situation.

On the flip side, I now see nearly every sports event, eat breakfast and dinner, and camp/hunt/fish with all three kids almost every weekend... and we are in a better spot financially than most folks in their 40s (debt free). Being a ghost for a couple weeks a month was great for me before kids, but seeing that time slip away with a family is tough.

I would definitely find out how this would change your salary - you could be surprised either way and it'd be hard to make a good call without that piece of the puzzle.

And congrats on having a tough decision to make, not everyone gets that opportunity! Good luck.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The salary increase is one of the missing pieces. It's kinda hard to ask your supervisor what you'd be making in his position. :)
No it's not. It's a variable that is very much an appropriate question. It shouldn't be the ONLY question, but salary is always a big consideration into taking other jobs or promotions. Some aspects of a job aren't worth the extra money in some cases. You couldn't pay me enough at this point to do shift work like your schedule.

I would sit down with your supervisor and pick his brain about every aspect of the job before considering it. You don't have to ask him exactly what he makes.........just ask him what the salary range is for that particular job, and understand that you would most likely be coming in at the lower end of that range........while he may be at or near the top end.

Jkr61

FNG
Big change from being another guy on the line to being the guy who is responsible for the line. Your job will now be to make sure they are doing their job- if you take the job. Your relationships will change.

As stated, as their boss, you can't always be their friend. Sometimes that works out, but not always. Those that went to exploit it or hold it against you, aren't really friends, so don't sweat 'losing' them. Your job is your job, its not high school.

Take it if you want the job. Be aware though that if you don't at least apply and interview, the shop will perceive you from that point forward as not wanting to and therefore not worthy of moving up.

In general, follow opportunity.

Do what is best for you and your family, always put family first. An employer will never give you the support that you receive from your family. My advise is to pray heavily on the matter and do what you truly feel is best for you and your family

rayporter

WKR
i turned down supervision once [ and they never look at you again after a rebuff] 25 years later i retired and never once regretted my decision.

i never knew what the salary was but it was substantial. a coworker saw the bosses check and said to the boss " I'll do anything for that kind of money" and he did. he never looked at us as friends again and was a total company man. he sold his soul to the company.

as a side note me and him had done some crazy shit and he was one of the biggest goof offs the company had ever had.

he took a rifle to work and climbed a very tall microwave tower and then shot a skunk. when some one seen him he threw the skunk in the company car to hide it.

socoalt

WKR
I went through a similar situation last Oct. when my boss left. It was unexpected and taking a promotion myself was the last thing on my mind. I also had a schedule where I was off 2 weeks off every month that allowed me to spend alot of time off doing whatever I wanted. At the time I had no interest in changing that. After my old supervisor told me that I was the only person that her boss was considering for the position before they posted it externally I started giving it some serious consideration. I took the job and so far it has been a good decision. Besides a fairly nice salary increase I have gotten alot of opportunity to improve my leadership skills, and make improvements in the work place. I can honestly say that The changes in the relationship between you and your co-workers, the schedule change, the change in the job duties etc., will all be what you make of it. Yes I have had days where I miss my old schedule but not as often as I thought I would.

You have been encouraged to apply because of the potential that other people see so keep that in consideration. Opportunity rarely knocks when you are expecting it and even though you may not feel you are ready circumstances maybe telling you otherwise.

It is a decision only you can make and this is just my perspective. But in my experience the people who are looking for promotions are rarely effective leaders. It is the ones who don't ask for responsibility but have it given to them that turn out to be the right ones for the job.

ODB

WKR
I’ve managed those who were my peers, it went fine. But then it was obvious I was a leader/manager and they would rather work for me than anyone new. My role as manager was to stop the shit from rolling past me and let them do what they already did well. At times I stayed overnight with them working on projects and tried to be less of a pusher than a puller with them. I got several awards for my department and every time 100% of my gratitude went to my team for their hard work.

one thing is to beware of the Peter Principle. If you don’t know what it is, look it up and make sure you understand where you might end up.