Becoming the supervisor of your coworkers / shiftwork questions

Finch

WKR
So this a maybe a three part question. I've been working shiftwork the past 15 years. I really don't mind the schedule because it gives me a lot of days off. I work 4 12's (days), 3 12's (nights), 3 12's (days), 4 12's (nights) and then off a week each month. So I'm off 12 weeks a year and this is not counting my vacation. So although I work swingshift I really don't mind the schedule because I have a week off every month. I do work nights and holidays but that is what I signed up for and you won't hear me complaining.

My supervisor is retiring in a year and has told me he wants me to take his spot. There is another guy that will be considered as well (has 6 months more seniority than me) but that hasn't mattered for other promotions. Apparently management will recommend us both for some sort of leadership program to better prepare us for the role. I'm told I'm preferred due to my people skills but both of us are on par as far as skill and experience.

The job would be Mon - Friday 7 to 4. No holidays, weekends, etc. More money but more bureaucratic BS, conference calls, and other things that just don't really interest me. It would be a more family friendly schedule though (8 and 3.5 year old). No more weeks off each month built into my schedule but I could pretty much schedule vacation when I wanted and not have to pick a year in advance.

I would miss the time off but could finally get on a solid daily routine. Other thing is becoming the boss of my coworkers/friends. We all get along well but I also know which ones are lackluster and that would probably need to be addressed. I'll mention one other thing. If I don't get this job or decline, I'll have another opportunity in the next few years for a daylight job but same salary as now (maybe a little less actually because of no holiday or overtime pay).

I'm kinda stumped about which way to go. If I turn down the supervisor's job - one may not become available again. I enjoy my current position and I'm good at what I do. Dealing more with ppl's BS (scheduling, sicknesses, incompetence, discipline, etc) just doesn't appeal to me. I feel I would do well in the job and definitely give it my all. Another pro with my current position is once I walk out the door, I don't have anything hanging over my head. Everything is real time. The supervisor or other future position - I would have work on my mind even after work..sometimes taking work home with me. Just something I'm not used to.

Another big plus of my current job is the amount of time I get to hunt. Possibly the biggest reason this is a hard decision. I guess this is a good problem to have. Thoughts?

def90

WKR
As I get older I don’t get how some of you guys that work schedules that flips days and nights back and forth do it, it’s gotta wreck havoc on your health after a long enough period of time. You might have a week off a month but how many of those days are spent in bed catching up with sleep or just dealing with business that everyone else deals with on a normal schedule.

I’ve been in HR management for ten years, and every time I interview someone for a leadership position I ask why they want the responsibility because it is so much more stress and worry. I don’t really ask to get any specific answer, but I want them to think about it. Being responsible for other people and projects is not for everyone. Most supervisors I have worked with find that part of the job to be the least satisfying (hence why I ask the question).

If you are happy in your current lifestyle and income, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD do not take this job just for the higher pay. Only take it if you think it will make you enjoy work more. I can guarantee the extra money won’t make you happier if the work isn’t what you want to do. I’ve doubled my salary the last 2-3 years and feel no happier than before.

You said “once I walk out the door, I don't have anything hanging over my head.” I have not been in that position since college, and envy those that are. The first thing I think about when my head hits the pillow and when my eyes open in the morning is work. I can usually let go on the weekends and stuff but not everyone can.

Do what you think will make you happiest without money as part of the equation. And if you decide to take a risk and go for it, see if your company has a policy that allows you to go back to your old position if this doesn’t work out.

reaper

WKR
Life is about free times...do not take the job, working nights sucks but if having this job is an additional stress...money is secondary for me,I work Monday to Friday 15h15 to 23h40 and I'm so sick of it,I'm always looking to find something with less hours to have more time in the outdoors.My garage is filled of awesome hunting, fishing, backpacking gear and I don't even have enough time to use it...

IMO do not take this job.

Envoyé de mon Pixel 4 XL en utilisant Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Once you cross the line into management you are no longer ‘friends’ with the ol co-workers.
It’s just different.

They will still want to be friends but as soon as you have to wear that management hat and do evaluations, reprimands, and all that ass Boss stuff, it becomes difficult. Very difficult.

On the flip side, could you work for the other guy if he gets the boss job?

Huntinkev

FNG
You've got some things to think about long and hard and only you can come up with the answer.

You said you enjoy what you do now and this promotion doesn't appeal to you. Some people enjoy their position and do not want nor are wired to be boss. You mentioned that the new responsibilities doesn't appeal to you or interest you multiple times. Once you are in the position, more than likely the stress will be even more than you can imagine. I don't know what you do, but it will definitely be more stress. You will probably wake up in the middle of the night with work on your mind or go to bed with work on your mind. There will be days you lose sleep because of work, have work on your mind on the weekend or off times. If it doesn't appeal to you now there is a good chance you will really resent it once you are under the stresses.

Then again you may decide the joys of the position outweigh the stress and downsides.

You've got a lot of soul searching and contemplation ahead of you.

Mudslinger

Lil-Rokslider
Personally, I took another job outside of my company for more money. It was more money but a heck of alot more stressful, which I took home with me. I only made it 1 1/2 years into the new job (luckily I didn't burn any bridges at the old job), I went back to my old place and like you have plenty of time off but I have to travel. In my instance, it was not worth the more stress. Ask yourself if you want the headache. Talk to your wife and go with what your gut tells you also. It sounds like your gut says don't take it.

Northpark

WKR
I’m in a leadership position and have been supervising people most of the last decade. I will offer a couple thoughts on your situation. 1.) If you take the promotion do it for the right reasons. Not everyone is cut out for leading people. Almost anyone can manage people but leading is the key and believe me there is a distinction between managing and leading. I CHOSE to be in a leadership position because I care about the work my agency does and I DEEPLY CARE about the people around me and being the “boss” lets me support them much better than if I’m just another one of the guys. 2.) don’t worry about supervision of your current coworkers. If you are good at your job and a competent employee, along with being a good human being they will give you the respect of the position as well as the respect to you as a person. 3. If you don’t take it don’t complain about the person that does.

TSAMP

WKR
I agree with many of the above. The way you worded your initial statement, you should not take the position. If your harping about peoples "BS & Sickness" I can say you aren't cut out for the role and likely a better asset to the company in your current role. Not hating your job is a luxury not many people have. Hold onto that.

Obviously you are a leader or you wouldn’t have been asked to fill the position. So, take that with the advice about how it’s not for everyone.

Only you can decide what’s the best for you and yours. More money means more investment opportunity’s. We can all talk shop about the time off. But, we’d have to include at the cost of less time with your family in the current position you are at. Which few have. And, you gotta look at the big picture

My outside look in says you could use the extra money. To shorten your employment time if nothing else. And, That you’d do fine managing people. The other stuff is dictated only by you.

Good luck and God Bless.

I agree with many of the above. The way you worded your initial statement, you should not take the position. If your harping about peoples "BS & Sickness" I can say you aren't cut out for the role and likely a better asset to the company in your current role. Not hating your job is a luxury not many people have. Hold onto that.
Well said.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Do you trust the people who will be above you? You will become the person expected to implement their ideas, eveb if those ideas are BS. Though, you will be able to filter some of the BS before it reaches your people.

Are you comfortable saying "this is on me." I have had leaders refuse to put directives in writing (and threaten me for documenting that I did something in compliance with their directive), but expect me to comply. I have told people under me "chart that you told me (i.e. put it in a legal document) and that I said no, I will answer for the why if we get called to the table."

For me, I stepped out of leadership due to the people over me. It is one thing to shoulder BS, it is another to have to pass it down onto others.

Hopefully, none of the applies to your situation, but it is something I failed to think of when taking on more responsibility.

Sounds like you like your current job and already know you wont like the new one as much. You didnt mention money so I feel like you its not enough to motivate you to deal with the BS.

It's difficult to manage people you have worked side by side with.

If it's a transfer with different employees it would be different, managing the people you worked shoulder to shoulder with is 4x harder.

I would consider it if it allows for a transfer of some sort. Being the guy who got picked for management, well that's a title you really need to decide if you want.

Opah

WKR
Bottom line you must be the supervisor NOT Friends, your friends will abandon you when they cant jack off because you are there supervisor.
Be prepared they will want favors they will start to take more time off and expect you to cover them and all sorts of stuff they would have never done.
so when you cant fix it or give the time off or have to take ome kind of action on them they will curse you. the best thing you can do is make it known you are now their supervisor .

Stikbrandon

Lil-Rokslider
Was in your shoes last year, been with my company for almost 15 years started when I was 19. I have done every job in my department from the very bottom to being topped out. I had the opportunity to jump ship and become management, everything change my friend.... your old co-workers are no longer co-workers they are your employees that you are now responsible for 100% of the time, when they go home you are still responsible for them, what I mean by that is if they don’t show up the next day who is upper management gonna call and so on.

I hated how work followed me when I was off work, on vacation or on the weekends. It was miserable, my wife has a high stress job so there was that added factor to the equation to, how is you partner going to take it when you can’t just shut it down when you are on date night or vacation?
Needless to say 6 month in to my permanent management position I couldn’t take it anymore. Thankfully for me my senior leadership is awesome and truly care about there employees and allowed me to go back to my previous position.

if you can separate off time from work the man get after it and climb the ladder and. Make as much money as you can ! Other wise look at that cup half full, seems like you got a good thing going.

Pm me if you want more insight on my experience.

Brandon

Marble

WKR
Take the promotion.

People promote for lots of reasons.

Money
Schedule
Leadership desires
Poor bosses
Tired of their job.

The biggest is probably money. I would never dismiss that in the decision. But it wouldn't be my only consideration.

Read some leadership books. My favorite so far is extreme accountability. There are others.

You've got time to decide. Track to the wife, talk to your parents maybe someone else who knows you.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk