Becoming the supervisor of your coworkers / shiftwork questions

cnelk

WKR
Yeah the Peter principal...one of your subordinates screws up....you're the first to get kicked in the Peter.

No.
The Peter Principle is when someone is elevated to their level of incompetency.

The Peter Principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their "level of incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another.

WCB

WKR
No.
The Peter Principle is when someone is elevated to their level of incompetency.

The Peter Principle is a concept in management developed by Laurence J. Peter, which observes that people in a hierarchy tend to rise to their "level of incompetence": employees are promoted based on their success in previous jobs until they reach a level at which they are no longer competent, as skills in one job do not necessarily translate to another.
It's a joke....I know what the principle is.

but it isn't wrong

Rich M

WKR
I manage a small department, would love for someone to step up and show some enthusiasm. So, that you are being considered shows that you have a handle on the job, are the better of the choices, and are already in some kind of leadership capacity - or at least the guys respect you.

Your hunt buddy will still be your hunt buddy.

Consider it.

Lowg08

WKR
I’m going on 6 years of being a foreman and 7 before that being a crew leader. I don’t mind dealing with the BS. I have managed to learn how to shut it off at 5:30. Just ask yourself this. How much is my time worth?

That's why I am very leery about work relationships and try not to intermix them with fun stuff. You may very well be their supervisor one day, hence part of your dilemma.

By the sound of your kids' ages, you are still early in your career. If nothing else, do it for a resume builder. But in the end, only you and your family can make this decision.

Scottyboy

WKR
One of my best friends was in your exact shoes (swing shift with “lots” of time off). Yes it’s true you have a lot of time offf but how much is really ‘used’ before jumping back into the swing schedule.

anyways, he recently too a 9-5 type role in his company and has never been happier. Did he enjoy 2.5 or 3x pay on weekends, holidays etc for the past 15 years...absolutely. Does he like having a schedule and being home when his kids are home....absolutely.

Some good advice on this forum so far from both sides of the coin. As someone who does supervise for a long time, you need to not look short term but long term as well. What is your 5 and 10 year plan look like? The only thing that matters is your family, not your job, not your "stuff", just family. Notice I didn't say coworkers/friends? You need to look at your finances and know how close you are to retirement, or what will it take for you to get there. Unless your getting a pension at the end, 9-5 is not enough. Some people are fine working till they die, but Im not one of them.

The time with your family can't be redone, there is no next week. I'd look at your situation and say to yourself, how long to you intend to stay with the same company? If you don't take the management job what does that mean for you in 5 or 10 years? If you do take the job, how does the pay compare to the industry around you? Same pay, under paid, etc. What's an extra 10% a year to you, what if it's 20, 30 or even higher? What if you could double your salary with less work in 5 years? Think long term not short term. Some pain now can pay massive dividends down the line.

Is the requirement you're on call 24/7? Then they better pay you to be, very well in fact. Maybe this company isn't your end all be all. You might good at your job there(big fish, small pond), and your comfortable, but if you took the management gig, could you parlay that into an even better gig down the road with the same company or a better one?

Don't worry what your friends say, do what's best for your situation and family. Anyone that gossips or talks ill of you is simply jealous they can't or won't take a chance on themselves.

Good luck!

tdhanses

WKR
Take the position and don’t let it go to your head, you already know how to work with your coworkers so don’t automatically change who you are, be you and they’ll respect you.

Personally your biggest issue with be the other guy that thinks he is getting it.

I can’t imagine working shift work like you do, my kids are a huge part of my daily routine.

idcuda

WKR
Growth mindset - do it. I've been in the same boat and don't regret it.

Another thing to consider is the toll that night shifts take on your health. That alone would be enough reason for me to take the new position. Do some research, if you haven't already, on how night shifts and irregular sleep can affect you long-term. Matthew Walker is a good place to start the Googling - he studies and writes on the topic.

We started around the same time and used to hang out quite a bit before we got married and had kids. Honestly, he's kind of a prick but has his good qualities too. I have a good example. I asked him what he thought of the supervisor job since it might come open in the next year and if he'd be interested. He said and I quote, "what choice do I have?" I asked what he meant and he said, "well, who else would they pick for it?" So yeah that's what I'm dealing with and I was frankly kinda shocked by such a smug comment.

That alone tells you 1) he isn't supervisor material (he isn't professionally mature enough) and 2) you'd be miserable having to report to him. That would compromise your relationship because of his arrogance.

I can tell already you'd be the better fit and if that compromised your relationship, then bad on him.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I would definitely find out how this would change your salary - you could be surprised either way and it'd be hard to make a good call without that piece of the puzzle.

And congrats on having a tough decision to make, not everyone gets that opportunity! Good luck.

Checked out the pay scale and looks to be at least a 15% increase. Bonus increases by 5% as well. Thanks.

You have been encouraged to apply because of the potential that other people see so keep that in consideration. Opportunity rarely knocks when you are expecting it and even though you may not feel you are ready circumstances maybe telling you otherwise.

It is a decision only you can make and this is just my perspective. But in my experience the people who are looking for promotions are rarely effective leaders. It is the ones who don't ask for responsibility but have it given to them that turn out to be the right ones for the job.
Thanks for the reply. I like that last part you said and truly believe it to be true.

I manage a small department, would love for someone to step up and show some enthusiasm. So, that you are being considered shows that you have a handle on the job, are the better of the choices, and are already in some kind of leadership capacity - or at least the guys respect you.

Your hunt buddy will still be your hunt buddy.

Consider it.
You guessed correctly. I guess I left out that I am currently in a leadership type role. Nights, weekends, and anytime after 4PM, I'm the one the other employees turn to and have to make the tough decisions. It's kind of hard to explain but my position has a ton of responsibility but not much authority. I already have to call people from home, cover shifts when the scheduled person calls out sick, etc. It was a promotion that actually involved working more nights and holidays. Doesn't sound like much of a promotion I guess but it was. One plus is I'm hardly on call like I'd been for most of my time there.
The time with your family can't be redone, there is no next week. I'd look at your situation and say to yourself, how long to you intend to stay with the same company? If you don't take the management job what does that mean for you in 5 or 10 years? If you do take the job, how does the pay compare to the industry around you? Same pay, under paid, etc. What's an extra 10% a year to you, what if it's 20, 30 or even higher? What if you could double your salary with less work in 5 years? Think long term not short term. Some pain now can pay massive dividends down the line.

Is the requirement you're on call 24/7? Then they better pay you to be, very well in fact. Maybe this company isn't your end all be all. You might good at your job there(big fish, small pond), and your comfortable, but if you took the management gig, could you parlay that into an even better gig down the road with the same company or a better one?

Don't worry what your friends say, do what's best for your situation and family. Anyone that gossips or talks ill of you is simply jealous they can't or won't take a chance on themselves.

Good luck!
Good points. If I turn down the supervisor position, I should still move right into another position working dayshift. The guy working that job is planning on retiring in the next couple years so I should be coming off swing shift no matter what. With the supervisor position, I would technically be on call to answer questions 24/7. However, we hardly call supervision afterhours now as we seem to have a good group of people that know their stuff.

Growth mindset - do it. I've been in the same boat and don't regret it.

Another thing to consider is the toll that night shifts take on your health. That alone would be enough reason for me to take the new position. Do some research, if you haven't already, on how night shifts and irregular sleep can affect you long-term. Matthew Walker is a good place to start the Googling - he studies and writes on the topic.

Almost afraid to read but I know what you are talking about. It is also a very sedentary job so double whammy.

That alone tells you 1) he isn't supervisor material (he isn't professionally mature enough) and 2) you'd be miserable having to report to him. That would compromise your relationship because of his arrogance.

I can tell already you'd be the better fit and if that compromised your relationship, then bad on him.

Appreciate that. Believe it or not, he's actually gotten better but he has definitely showed his true colors over the years. My supervisor knows this and I believe the manager does too. Guess I have that going for me.

Appreciate all the input and advice. Got some thinking to do!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Checked out the pay scale and looks to be at least a 15% increase. Bonus increases by 5% as well. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. I like that last part you said and truly believe it to be true.

You guessed correctly. I guess I left out that I am currently in a leadership type role. Nights, weekends, and anytime after 4PM, I'm the one the other employees turn to and have to make the tough decisions. It's kind of hard to explain but my position has a ton of responsibility but not much authority. I already have to call people from home, cover shifts when the scheduled person calls out sick, etc. It was a promotion that actually involved working more nights and holidays. Doesn't sound like much of a promotion I guess but it was. One plus is I'm hardly on call like I'd been for most of my time there.

Good points. If I turn down the supervisor position, I should still move right into another position working dayshift. The guy working that job is planning on retiring in the next couple years so I should be coming off swing shift no matter what. With the supervisor position, I would technically be on call to answer questions 24/7. However, we hardly call supervision afterhours now as we seem to have a good group of people that know their stuff.

Almost afraid to read but I know what you are talking about. It is also a very sedentary job so double whammy.

Appreciate that. Believe it or not, he's actually gotten better but he has definitely showed his true colors over the years. My supervisor knows this and I believe the manager does too. Guess I have that going for me.

Any update?

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
Any update?

Actually yes. I was approached last week by my manager inquiring about my interest in a different department. Kinda hard to explain but this department is picking up more work and responsibilities that my department has been doing for years. Call it a shift in the dividing line of responsibility. So we're losing some work and this other department is gaining it. That comes with them needing more people and preferably people with experience dealing with this equipment.

My manager was wanting to feel me out and see my intentions about possibly applying in this department. I hadn't really given it much thought this time around as honestly I applied for and was offered a job there 12 or so years ago but then respectfully backed out (no bridges burned) and stayed where I am now. Main reason were rumors of that job moving out of state which I didn't want. Well that didn't happen and now they are building a new high dollar facility (millions) to house their people. The building will be protected from earthquakes, EMP strikes, etc. It would not require me to relocate. The commute would be 25ish more minutes for me but I'd be able to work from home too.

Anyway, my manager told me that the other department manager thinks highly of me and feels like I'd be offered the job if I were to apply. It would be a hybrid position (work from home and in the office), daylight hours, no callouts, a good bump in salary to my supervisor's current salary, and bigger bonus. So I'd be making what my supervisor is making (which is the job I'm being considered for in my department once he retires next year) but I'll have zero supervisory responsibilities.

My manager realized that the more he talked the more I became interested in this other department. I don't think that was his intentions but he also thinks it would be a good opportunity for me and wanted me to be thinking about it. Just put it this way... I'm currently updating my resume. :)

I've been in my office 15 years and have a really good handle on the day to day operations. I have a good chance of becoming supervisor in my office but it truly doesn't appeal to me. Since we are losing work there is also the worry that my supervisor's job won't be filled once he retires. So I might not even have the chance at that job anyway.

This may be hard to follow but I don't want to say too much on a forum. Basically, I'm at a crossroads with what to do but it's a good problem to have.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
So this a maybe a three part question. I've been working shiftwork the past 15 years. I really don't mind the schedule because it gives me a lot of days off. I work 4 12's (days), 3 12's (nights), 3 12's (days), 4 12's (nights) and then off a week each month. So I'm off 12 weeks a year and this is not counting my vacation. So although I work swingshift I really don't mind the schedule because I have a week off every month. I do work nights and holidays but that is what I signed up for and you won't hear me complaining.

My supervisor is retiring in a year and has told me he wants me to take his spot. There is another guy that will be considered as well (has 6 months more seniority than me) but that hasn't mattered for other promotions. Apparently management will recommend us both for some sort of leadership program to better prepare us for the role. I'm told I'm preferred due to my people skills but both of us are on par as far as skill and experience.

The job would be Mon - Friday 7 to 4. No holidays, weekends, etc. More money but more bureaucratic BS, conference calls, and other things that just don't really interest me. It would be a more family friendly schedule though (8 and 3.5 year old). No more weeks off each month built into my schedule but I could pretty much schedule vacation when I wanted and not have to pick a year in advance.

I would miss the time off but could finally get on a solid daily routine. Other thing is becoming the boss of my coworkers/friends. We all get along well but I also know which ones are lackluster and that would probably need to be addressed. I'll mention one other thing. If I don't get this job or decline, I'll have another opportunity in the next few years for a daylight job but same salary as now (maybe a little less actually because of no holiday or overtime pay).

I'm kinda stumped about which way to go. If I turn down the supervisor's job - one may not become available again. I enjoy my current position and I'm good at what I do. Dealing more with ppl's BS (scheduling, sicknesses, incompetence, discipline, etc) just doesn't appeal to me. I feel I would do well in the job and definitely give it my all. Another pro with my current position is once I walk out the door, I don't have anything hanging over my head. Everything is real time. The supervisor or other future position - I would have work on my mind even after work..sometimes taking work home with me. Just something I'm not used to.

Another big plus of my current job is the amount of time I get to hunt. Possibly the biggest reason this is a hard decision. I guess this is a good problem to have. Thoughts?
I am a manager of my old module and more. From what I just read - Don't do it.

If you want to advance up the ranks beyond the ranks of job you are considering you will have to take the promotion. If there is no further advancement beyond that job and you like what you do now , don't think you will enjoy the new job, can live with pay and feel secure that the job will be there long term then turn down the promotion. Being a manager is no easy gig. You will find yourself pinched between the guys you supervise and the management above you. I been there. I did the management gig for 10 years and when a good opportunity came along to have a job I liked and managing only myself I took it. I have the ability to get out of town hunting when I want to.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Same situation here in 2014 I was made the Supervisor of the same team I was on for 5 years. So I had to go through as well. I was one of the leads on the team so alot of folks already looked at my in this capacity but it was the best move I made going from Engineer to Supervisor of the team. my biggest challange was letting go tasks that I would normally just do in the past. Now I had to Delegate and trust others. That was not easy =)

Okhotnik

WKR

Good luck. Once you go into management be prepared to take the job home with your every day and on weekends and vacations. And you may be forced to implement new policies, whether good or bad, on your former co workers and friends.

Oilfieldmiller

Lil-Rokslider
Hours/days/weeks/months/years more with your family is worth some “potential” discomfort in your work.

When we’re all 80, I believe we’ll all regret the time we lost with our family and not the headaches of work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAAAR

FNG
So this a maybe a three part question. I've been working shiftwork the past 15 years. I really don't mind the schedule because it gives me a lot of days off. I work 4 12's (days), 3 12's (nights), 3 12's (days), 4 12's (nights) and then off a week each month. So I'm off 12 weeks a year and this is not counting my vacation. So although I work swingshift I really don't mind the schedule because I have a week off every month. I do work nights and holidays but that is what I signed up for and you won't hear me complaining.

My supervisor is retiring in a year and has told me he wants me to take his spot. There is another guy that will be considered as well (has 6 months more seniority than me) but that hasn't mattered for other promotions. Apparently management will recommend us both for some sort of leadership program to better prepare us for the role. I'm told I'm preferred due to my people skills but both of us are on par as far as skill and experience.

The job would be Mon - Friday 7 to 4. No holidays, weekends, etc. More money but more bureaucratic BS, conference calls, and other things that just don't really interest me. It would be a more family friendly schedule though (8 and 3.5 year old). No more weeks off each month built into my schedule but I could pretty much schedule vacation when I wanted and not have to pick a year in advance.

I would miss the time off but could finally get on a solid daily routine. Other thing is becoming the boss of my coworkers/friends. We all get along well but I also know which ones are lackluster and that would probably need to be addressed. I'll mention one other thing. If I don't get this job or decline, I'll have another opportunity in the next few years for a daylight job but same salary as now (maybe a little less actually because of no holiday or overtime pay).

I'm kinda stumped about which way to go. If I turn down the supervisor's job - one may not become available again. I enjoy my current position and I'm good at what I do. Dealing more with ppl's BS (scheduling, sicknesses, incompetence, discipline, etc) just doesn't appeal to me. I feel I would do well in the job and definitely give it my all. Another pro with my current position is once I walk out the door, I don't have anything hanging over my head. Everything is real time. The supervisor or other future position - I would have work on my mind even after work..sometimes taking work home with me. Just something I'm not used to.

Another big plus of my current job is the amount of time I get to hunt. Possibly the biggest reason this is a hard decision. I guess this is a good problem to have. Thoughts?
Don't do it. I am a shift worker (plant operator) at a refinery for the past 10 years. Not only will you lose the time off, your time at work will be less enjoyable. Never ever let anyone make you take work home.

Especially in the current woke, I mean work, environment, being in supervisor positions is asking for headaches.