Beginner archer - wrist strap or thumb release

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
So a couple of weeks ago I jumped down the archery rabbit hole. Went to a super good shop, that is unfortunately a 20 hr drive\ferry ride away from me, and got all set up. (compound bow if it matters) I'm loving it so far, shooting at least a dozen arrows every day after work, and more on weekends. Going to be joining the local archery club soon, and have been reading tons of info about bow tuning, arrow making, proper form, and so on and so forth. Basically absorbing everything I can.

My question is about releases, obviously. I have both a wrist strap and a thumb style, the wrist is a Scott Freedom XT, with a squeaky aluminum pivot thing where it attaches to the actual strap. The thumb is a Tru-Ball Max Pro 4. I have adjusted the Tru-Ball to a pretty light weight, and the Scott is non adjustable, unless I take it apart.

It seems like lots and lots of the pros are using a thumb release, or even a tension release, and not very many are using a wrist strap. What is the reason for this ? Is a wrist strap\trigger less accurate ? Is a thumb style more convenient ?

The reason I am asking is that because I am new at this, I feel like I don't have anything to 'unlearn'. I have also seen numerous articles and internet posts where folks are saying to commit 100 % to the release you are using until you are totally comfortable with how you are shooting with it. So I feel like I need to pick one, and use it exclusively until I master it, but which one should I pick, keeping in mind that the end goal is hunting, and not from a stand ?

Eric4

Lil-Rokslider
For hunting, I would recommend the wrist strap as it is always attached.

My last release was a hot shot vapor thumb release and for hunting, I found it less convenient. It was too awkward dangling from my wrist, and was too light of a trigger to attach it to my bow and go walking around. I know some thumb releases are strong enough to snap on and not have to worry about

I have switched to the hamskey drop-tine which is a wrist strap trigger release. I find it to be more accurate than my thumb release because I can set a heavy trigger. I also think it is easier to attach and draw in a heart pounding hunting scenario due to the open hook design. It can be done without looking down at my D-loop

I highly you go back and listen to the Nock On podcast. John discusses this topic many times in great detail. If I had to do it all over again, I would have never used a wrist strap. I have learned the surprise shot from day one. A true surprise shot is the way to become the best archery you can be.

elkguide

WKR
You say that you are going to join your local archery club. There you will likely find a bunch of people using different releases for each of their own reasons. I would ask of those there, if they will let you try their releases and see which one feels the best to you.

For me, when shooting in the back yard, I frequently will use a thumb release but when I'm practicing with my hunting set ups and when hunting, I am most comfortable with a wrist strap. The only accuracy or consistency difference for me in release types has been the difference in a caliper release vs: a hook type release. I am more accurate with a hook all day long.

My current release of choice is a Carter Quickie. I've used that release for many years and even though when a new release comes out, I am quick to try and see if this "new" release is the one...... I always seem to come back to the Quickie when I go hunting.

Muley15

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer shooting with a thumb release but I hunt with a wrist release. I personally like the Spot Hogg wise guy.

KMT

WKR
Everyone has an opinion, and that's why there are several styles of release. For me, the wrist strap is the best option.

RCA , 20 hours ? Damn man. I thought the 2 hour drive for me was bad. Are you on Vancouver Island ? The wrist release is the only release I have ever used and love it. I shoot pretty good and follow KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) . Switching from 1 release for this and 1 for that just never appealed to me. If the wrist release works good for you thats what I would go with but I have zero experience with the thumb system.

OP
RCA Dog

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I highly you go back and listen to the Nock On podcast. John discusses this topic many times in great detail. If I had to do it all over again, I would have never used a wrist strap. I have learned the surprise shot from day one. A true surprise shot is the way to become the best archery you can be.

Lol it was the Nock On stuff that got me interested in a thumb\back tension release in the first place.

OP
RCA Dog

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
RCA , 20 hours ? Damn man. I thought the 2 hour drive for me was bad. Are you on Vancouver Island ? The wrist release is the only release I have ever used and love it. I shoot pretty good and follow KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) . Switching from 1 release for this and 1 for that just never appealed to me. If the wrist release works good for you thats what I would go with but I have zero experience with the thumb system.

Yeah, 20 hrs into a 24 hr drive. I was passing through Edmonton going north to drop half a moose off. Yep I'm on the Island. The not switching makes a lot of sense to me.

Boreal

WKR
I was in the same position not long ago. I started with a wrist strap, but thought I should learn the thumb release, even though my shots were good to 80 yards with my Spot Hog Wise Guy. The Stan's release worked at the range. At first my groups opened up, but with practice they got better. I took both releases hunting, spot and stalk deer. I started with the thumb release, but after having to dig through pockets to get the release, I abandoned it for the Wise Guy that was always on my wrist where I wanted it. Since then, the Stan's doesn't get used and with practice my groups with the wrist strap are as tight as they were with the thumb. My bottom line, find the one you're comfortable with, practice as much as you can, and don't worry about what everyone else is shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaseyU

WKR
I can see the dilemma. When I started I used a wrist release. And then I transitions into using back tension with a wrist release and then switched to a thumb release 4 or 5 years ago and love it. I would definitely stick with one or the other. They both have positives and negatives. You want to practice like you play. Just remember all the release aid aside. There is so much more that goes into accuracy and constancy than just the release. Stance... grip.. anchor... then throw shitty weather and a slope. All aside in my opinion the most important thing in archery is consistency. Obviously everyone practices. Practice the same thing every time and you will be a far better archer. Best of luck and report back on what you liked and decided. And welcome to the dark hole of archery :)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
^^totally agree

I wish I would have gotten this advice when I started. The problem with trigger finger releases...though easier to start....you develop bad habits that are hard to fix.

OP
RCA Dog

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. I think I will make a commitment to learn the thumb style, and see where it goes. It's not like I can't go back to a wrist strap if I fail miserably. I will have to figure out the best way to carry the release, but the one that I have has a little hole in it for a lanyard or whatever, so I will figure something out.

Tex68w

WKR
I'm fairly new to archery as well. Nothing about the hand hold release appeals to me at the moment but I'm only looking at this from a hunting stand point since that's all I plan to do with a bow for a while until I get the 3D bug. I ended up with a Carter RX2 since I wanted a hook and I like how this release hooks into the line and releases away from my face which is nice with a beard.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I prefer a wrist strap release with a trigger finger trigger. To me it's much simpler and I'm more accurate with it.

elkyinzer

WKR
For the last 10 years I've shot a Winn Free Flight. It's the only release I'll ever shoot and I mention it because it's a little different style than all the other releases mentioned. It has a "bar" built into a glove like contraption that fits in the palm of your hand. This makes the perceived weight of the draw feel much better than pulling a wrist strap. As I was making the jump from finger tab shooting, that was essential for me. The one downside is that it tends to be bulky to wear around but you do get used to it and it doesn't hinder me at all even on run and gun type elk hunts. Otherwise the release mechanism is conventional trigger style, although I wrap my hand around and use tension in the meaty part of my middle finger to achieve a surprise release, which I've never seen anyone else do really, just something I came up with because I was struggling with punching the trigger. It's a system I think more hunters would use if they tried it out.

d90rick

Lil-Rokslider
RCA, a bunch of great advice above and welcome. One thing to do, you mentioned the thumb release you have it set light, set the spring trigger tension high, this will help you from punching the trigger and you will keep the back tension as you pull through. best of luck!

12ring

FNG
As stated already, I prefer a back tension and thumb release for practice/3D and a wrist release for hunting- currently I am running a Silverback Nock2It, and Scott Rhino XT.