Thumb Releases

ricky85!

FNG
Can someone steer me in the right direction for a great all around thumb release for shooting 3D as well as hunting with? I use a wrist release now and want to shoot a thumb release. Thanks

Going to be personal preference. Finger beds fit everyone differently, some releases are made in different sizes. Then hook placement is different, depending on how you anchor will effect how well some work for you and your face.

I settled on a B3 versa for a while now, they stand behind their products, and are made in Kentucky.

Have seen issues with adjustments staying in place with UV button and Truball Goat. I think both of those got sent back twice for developing excess travel that couldn't get adjusted out, dropping on concrete is not very nice to them, especially these heavier releases.

I'm sure most any release will develop problems from abuse, I know the return time was about 5-6 times faster with UV.

I have 3 releases all the same, just so if I have problems with one, I have a backup. Then I have a backup for my backup. Also have a hinge that I built up to fit exactly the same as my thumbs.

bober90

FNG
I think the Carter Wise Choice is fairly universally recommended and doesn't have many, if any, issues. I've used one for 3D off and on, but I've been using a Like Mike for hunting the past 4-5 years.

fatlander

WKR
Whatever you get, buy two. Nothing mechanical is 100% reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
I have a stan prefix. I like it but still hunt with a wrist release. For some reason I shoot the wrist release more consistently and I like being able to wear it and tuck it pointing up my arm.

I’m a big fan of Carter releases. Unfortunately they aren’t super common to have on hand at shops, in my area at least. I’ve become a big fan of try before you buy after buying and selling a lot.

Cubby

WKR
I'm surpised to see so many people using both releases on the same bows, I was kind of under the understanding that thumb release may change your draw length. But maybe not

fatlander

WKR
I'm surpised to see so many people using both releases on the same bows, I was kind of under the understanding that thumb release may change your draw length. But maybe not

It’ll change your point of impact. You’ll hit left index release for a right hand shooter.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I often switch back and forth with my index releases and my thumb releases and so far it is only my hinge release that doesn't know where I am aiming.

KBC

WKR
I have the Nock 2 it. I like the 2 finger style over the 3 or 4. I actually lengthened my DL by a half inch going to it from a trigger because the jaw is so much further back at full draw.

nphunter

WKR
Most of carters releases are great. I also like the nock 2 it release with 2 fingers. Went from. Simple 1 to a wise choice to a nock 2 it. I switched because I have ulnar nerve issue and my pinky and ring finger go numb, so far the 2 finger version has been great.

btemple

FNG
Can't beat a Carter! I have a Carter "Something" and have been using it for 15 years, love it!

Using a Hot Shot right now because I liked the idea of having a wrist strap on my handheld. Not super sold long term, but it's functional.
Really have my eye on the new Carter Whisper 2.

Anyone have an idea whether it's OK to attach a lanyard to the hole in the cocking lever? I've seen a few photos of people doing it but wanted to know what the community at large felt of the idea.

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
Other than feel, there’s only one thing I look for in a release. That is being able to independently adjust the tension, as well as the travel. The cheaper releases usually will not have this option, or will only have one or the other. That means you’re basically stuck with how it comes out of the pack. If you can adjust both of those things independently, you can fine tune it to however you like. You normally pay more for that feature but it’s worth it imo.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe Carter is an exception to this now. I feel like I remember hearing they only have one adjustment now but are still super crisp. Haven’t been in the release market for a while, but that’s my $0.02

I've been a Carter fan for a long time. I shoot a Just B Cuz and have several on hand as back-ups. Like said above, you need to find what feels comfortable in your hand and to your face.

There is a lot of personal preference as others have said. There are soon good recs already mentioned. Carter is a good brand. I have used a few of there releases both thumb and index finger. Currently shooting the Too simple. With the Carter the trigger is really similar in them all it’s more about how the ergonomics of handle are different (3 or 4 finger, swept back or straight, size, ect) and how the hook closes (with the cock button or manual). Some of their releases are the same release with just different handle designs-the 1st choice and wise choice are the same but the wise choice has a full circle handle for the index finger.

Think about the features you want in a handheld:
Full hook retention vs open hook: can you hang it on the string? Is that important to you? Are you a treestand hunter? Do you want your hand free while the release is on the string?
Do you want a wrist strap/tether for it: hunters like this so it doesn’t get lost, but then you don’t have a free hand if it’s hooked on the d loop.
Do you know you want a 3 or 4 finger? Or do you want one that can do both and offer customization? Carters are not as customizable: often one size and is either 3 or 4 finger and have limited barrel adjustments. Stan’s are fully customizable: different thumb barrel sizes, lengths, rotation, 2,3,4 finger options, swept or straight fingers, and come in size small to XL.
Do you want to adjust the thumb barrel of the trigger?
Do you know the size of release you want: some releases only come in one size (a lot of Carters for example vs some have multiple sizes like Stan (Stanislawski))
Do you want to adjust travel and tension? Some releases don’t let you do both.
Do you want an auto return hook vs a manual closure? Some you cock then close the hook. Some the hook closes as you cock the release.
What’s your budget? Expensive: Ultraview button stainless= $349 new. Less expensive: Spot Hogg Whippet Snapper= $115. And I would say most releases are $200 or more (Carters for example all range $215-250 ish)

Generally speaking the more features the more expensive it is.

I know it’s a lot of questions, but when I changed to a thumb I just started buying stuff not knowing what I wanted and as such I wasted some money learning what I wanted. Try as many of them as you can if you can before you buy.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
The problem I had when going to 7 different archery shops and some those being almost two hours away,is that they didn't have but maybe a few choices of the less expensive brands of release aids and Tru Fire and or Tru Ball were the only choices. I never quite cared for Tru Ball and Tru Fire even less.