Beginner saddle set up

Got into saddle last season. Went with tethrd phantom & preditor platform. I’ve spent my career for last 28 years running a tree service. Only regret is that I did not begin saddle hunt early on.
I remember one of my 1st jobs was in a tree saddle every day for a week. This pecan tree was huge, branched out over house, shed, and autos that didn’t run. Spikes on my legs would leave shin bruises. Hips would ache from the squeeze. Ruff deal.

Saddle hunting is a great pleasure! Hope to be more Mobil & tired of packing climbers in & being limited to tree that clumb well.

Saddle hunting will make that perfect location work for you for there is virtually no limitation it seems.

Useing Hawk set of sticks. Not satisfied with them however they are working for now.

Having said all this, it is kind of a trade. At my present age pushing 60 I’m not having the back ache of carrying stand and saddle however I am being taxed with the effort of getting up and down.

I use 2 ropeman’s to make things easier in my system. Bottom line, To be young again!!!

Currently run a Dryad Mini Drey, love it for lightweight and comfort when using sticks and platform or .5 lwcg .
I ran a Latitude Method 2 xl last year after selling a Cruzr Archon. I like the Latitude over Cruzr because of rope belt and magnets for panels( less fiddling around). Do get some hip pinch in Method 2 but not terrible.
Have kept the Method 2 for now for 1 sticking but thinking of switching it out to a TX5 Lonestar

Started with a tethrd phantom, was uncomfortable for longer sits with lots of hip pinch. I find the cruzr to be an improvement in comfort. I'm 5'10" 185. Can no longer claim an athletic build..

I’ve heard good things about Tactisaddle but haven’t tried it yet. I am also looking into saddle hunting for the first time this year

I love my JX3. Being on the larger size, 6'1" 240, This is the most comfortable saddle for me. It is defiantly not the lightest. It weighs about the same as my XOP lock on, but is much more comfortable and secure Imo. Shooting around the tree takes some getting used to, but that seems to be the case with most saddles. I've had mine for 6 months and have made several hog hunts out of it. It's been great so far. Can't wait till Deer season opens!

Has anyone had any experience with Wild Edge saddles?
I didnt know Wild Edge had a saddle. I knew they made a platform. The wild edge steps are awesome! Thats all i climb with since i made the discovery last year. I tried a Tetherd Phantom and hated it. I really like the Cruzr XC. Its very comfortable. Im 5-10 and 190lbs, 33 in waist. Fits me perfectly. The Jx3 is very comfortable ,but its heavy and not very mobile like a true saddle. Makes is tough to wear a pack while walking in with it.

Anyone here with a Tethrd saddle have any experience with their sticks? Saddle choice is one thing but it seems like the debate is all about the climbing method. Sticks vs sticks with an aider vs steps vs one sticking + rappel system.

Hawk helium with two step aider on bottom stick and amsteel daisy chain for straps. I dont like the 30” sticks and will be getting something smaller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently started saddle hunting and I couldn't be happier, I think it made me more connected to the woods and being able to pick spots to hunt from at random. It also boosted my learning to understand trails how to find them and it sooooooo comfortable....
Saddle -> Cruzer XC
Platform -> The Seeker also from Cruzer
Climbing Sticks -> Shikar from outonalimb

Only thing I haven't figured out is my gear bag... trying to find a Tenzing TZ 1250 but they are not made anymore...

I recently started saddle hunting and I couldn't be happier, I think it made me more connected to the woods and being able to pick spots to hunt from at random. It also boosted my learning to understand trails how to find them and it sooooooo comfortable....
Saddle -> Cruzer XC
Platform -> The Seeker also from Cruzer
Climbing Sticks -> Shikar from outonalimb

Only thing I haven't figured out is my gear bag... trying to find a Tenzing TZ 1250 but they are not made anymore...
forgot to add the three step aider also from outonalimb

I've only had tethrd phantom and Cruzr - the phantom had too much hip pinch for me, cruzr is significantly more comfortable. I'm 5'10" 190lb these days.

Back