Benelli $$$$$$

I can only speak on the original sbe. I pound on that gun and absolutely abuse the heck out of it. it's got to be close to 20 years old, at least 15+. At the time it ran about 1200 and I asked myself the same question as you. I bought it to be my do all shotgun in 3.5 inch and don't regret it one bit. I clean the gun about once a year and it's still performing flawlessly.

If you want to pound on the gun and beat it up and pull it out of the case and not have to worry about performance then it's absolutely worth it. If you typically take better care of your equipment then you can probably save some cash and get something cheaper.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I’m trying to be kind to my fellow Benelli shooters, but there is shorting a high pattern (60/40) and SBE3 high (90/10). I like to float the bird, too. From what I read, the SBE3 is especially high.

My M2 is slightly higher than POA and it gives a perfect mount and perfect shot picture for ME. You owe it to yourself to try them both for YOU before spending that. I would recommend getting your hands on an SBE3 and trying it out before you buy it. Maybe even a Rockslider near you has one you can try.

Since you asked about weaknesses, some people make a big deal about the “Benelli click”. There’s a sports writer in Illinois that makes a lot of noise about that as he shills for Retay. I personally think it is over rated, and I have never experienced the problem in either of my Montefeltros or my M2.

The Benelli sbe3 does not have the Benelli “click”. They copied the Ethos action and does not have that problem anymore, goes into battery every time. The older ones like the sbe2 have the “click” though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread inspired me to go out and break down my Benelli M2 and Stoeger 3500 to get ready for the upcoming season.

The Benelli comes apart and reassembles in seconds, the internal machining is spot on and the materials are excellent. The Turkish made Stoeger is functional, but the machine work is gritty and disassembly and reassembly are a pain. Mine is three years old and my MOD choke tube threads are a little rusty despite applying grease at the first of the season. A couple of pieces require 3 hands and the alignment of the planets to get back together.

Given a choice and the disposable income to buy either...I'm taking the Benelli every single time.

While you don't really need a 3.5" to hunt ducks, with geese and cranes they come into their own. The new tungsten shells are something else entirely though. Last year I ended up using the 3.5" with #4 Hevi-X on a day where the birds were spooky and wouldn't commit to the decoys.

So I just hammered them 50 yards out.

Tungsten shoots like the magnum lead loads of old and the 3.5" holds a lot of them. If you need to blot something out of the sky, it just works.

I am an obsessed waterfowl hunter ever since I was 11 years old. I’m now 75 and in those years,I’ve shot/owned many guns Including 2 SBEs.

I ended up selling both SBEs because of cycling issues. I‘ve hunted wth several other very experienced hunters who also had issues and did likewise. Most folks I know who swear by them are able to accept failure to cycle rates of 1 in 75 rounds but they have more patience than I do. I found the cheaper Winchester SX3 to be far more reliable but the trigger was awful. A $60 trigger job fixed it.

My favorite goose guns were Browning Auto 5s by FN.
My favorite duck guns were Winchester Model 12s.

This thread inspired me to go out and break down my Benelli M2 and Stoeger 3500 to get ready for the upcoming season.

The Benelli comes apart and reassembles in seconds, the internal machining is spot on and the materials are excellent. The Turkish made Stoeger is functional, but the machine work is gritty and disassembly and reassembly are a pain. Mine is three years old and my MOD choke tube threads are a little rusty despite applying grease at the first of the season. A couple of pieces require 3 hands and the alignment of the planets to get back together.

Given a choice and the disposable income to buy either...I'm taking the Benelli every single time.

While you don't really need a 3.5" to hunt ducks, with geese and cranes they come into their own. The new tungsten shells are something else entirely though. Last year I ended up using the 3.5" with #4 Hevi-X on a day where the birds were spooky and wouldn't commit to the decoys.

So I just hammered them 50 yards out.

Tungsten shoots like the magnum lead loads of old and the 3.5" holds a lot of them. If you need to blot something out of the sky, it just works.

Something's usually "got to give" when you make a significantly cheaper alternative. Sounds like this is a good indication of what to expect--not that the alternatives aren't serviceable guns. Boils down to what you want to spend and what you expect to have when you've spent it.

Good point for the need/use of 3.5s. Seems to be a fave for the geese and crane crowd. I don't hunt them and have never felt I "missed out" by not having a 3.5. I also like the fact the M1 is a featherweight.

You can pay the $1800 for the new Benelli or you can go to a DU Banquet and by $5K in tickets hoping you win one. :)

But seriously, yes the higher end shotguns will usually give you more satisfaction over the long haul.

I have 4 Beretta autos and my daughter has two Benellis.

We each have a favorite that we shoot daily in our 5-6 weeks of crane/goose hunting. We have shot each others shotguns with good results. My gas Berettas have slightly less recoil. We shoot 3" steel only.

All of our shotguns are cleaned and lightly lubed after season and are ready for next season.

In buying a new shotgun, I'd be hesitent to buy one that can't be adjusted for drop and cast.

Do any of you guys know how the Retay Masai Mara compares to the Benelli Super Black Eagle 3? Pros, cons.

Thank y’all for your advise! It’s helping me make a decision on what shotgun I’m going to buy. I’m leaning heavily towards the SBE3!!!

Do any of you guys know how the Retay Masai Mara compares to the Benelli Super Black Eagle 3? Pros, cons.

The Retay is a Turkish made gun. They make all kinds of guns to all kinds of specs. Most Turkish guns are a fair bit more affordable though. The Turkish folks make a lot of guns to spec...for Weatherby, CZ, Stoeger, etc.

IMHO...they work, but they're not a Benelli. If you want a high grade shotgun, stick with the B's- Beretta, Benelli, Browning.

The Retay is a Turkish made gun. They make all kinds of guns to all kinds of specs. Most Turkish guns are a fair bit more affordable though. The Turkish folks make a lot of guns to spec...for Weatherby, CZ, Stoeger, etc.

IMHO...they work, but they're not a Benelli. If you want a high grade shotgun, stick with the B's- Beretta, Benelli, Browning.

Thanks, good to know. Looks like I’ll stick with the SBE3.

Does anyone have any current problems with their SBE3???

Does anyone have any current problems with their SBE3???

No.
We have 3 SBE3 as a family. An ethos, 2 super Vinci, 1 SBE2 and a raffello. No issues with any of them other then the occasional click out of the Vincis and SBE2. Maybe one time out of 200 shots. One thing people don't talk about is you can make the click happen.

Also have 3 different flavors of Beretta A400. No issues there either.

No.
We have 3 SBE3 as a family. An ethos, 2 super Vinci, 1 SBE2 and a raffello. No issues with any of them other then the occasional click out of the Vincis and SBE2. Maybe one time out of 200 shots. One thing people don't talk about is you can make the click happen.

Also have 3 different flavors of Beretta A400. No issues there either.

Awesome!

It's a shame that in 33 something posts on an $1800 semi-auto, not a single person recommended the A400 extreme.

3.5" capability, felt recoil with 12ga duck loads is similar to a 20ga, goes bang every single time. No track record (that I know of) for any issues, has shims to adjust drop/cast.

They'll take a ton of abuse. I hunted mine hard in the salt/brackish marshes for 3 years...for $1800, the Beretta gets my vote.

It's a shame that in 33 something posts on an $1800 semi-auto, not a single person recommended the A400 extreme.

3.5" capability, felt recoil with 12ga duck loads is similar to a 20ga, goes bang every single time. No track record (that I know of) for any issues, has shims to adjust drop/cast.

They'll take a ton of abuse. I hunted mine hard in the salt/brackish marshes for 3 years...for $1800, the Beretta gets my vote.

That’s great to hear!

Comes down to inertia/gas, fit, and looks. A400 has been gaining a ton of popularity amongst snow goose guides that shoot a ton of steel shot every spring. Many die hard waterfowlers still use SBE1's and M1/M2's. I personally still shoot my nearly 20 year old Winchester SX2. It works, I've patterned it hundreds of times, and I know what parts fail and at what approximate round counts. I'm a fan of the M2, I'm a fan of the SBE, I'm a fan of Berettas and Franchis. Lots of great options out there across a wide range of prices. Hell I'd even shoot a Stoeger 3500 after some parts polishing, break in, and maybe some aftermarket springs. 10 years ago I wouldn't touch a stoeger.

Comes down to inertia/gas, fit, and looks. A400 has been gaining a ton of popularity amongst snow goose guides that shoot a ton of steel shot every spring. Many die hard waterfowlers still use SBE1's and M1/M2's. I personally still shoot my nearly 20 year old Winchester SX2. It works, I've patterned it hundreds of times, and I know what parts fail and at what approximate round counts. I'm a fan of the M2, I'm a fan of the SBE, I'm a fan of Berettas and Franchis. Lots of great options out there across a wide range of prices. Hell I'd even shoot a Stoeger 3500 after some parts polishing, break in, and maybe some aftermarket springs. 10 years ago I wouldn't touch a stoeger.

Thanks for the feedback!

Back