Bergara Highlanders

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have one? There are ZERO reviews online other than some vague shot show type "great rifle great accuracy just love it" type reviews. I have not seen anything very objective, and Bergara has really transformed from a low production high quality company into a high production company and I have no idea how the quality of their rifles is right now (I believe they stopped sending their 3 shot accuracy target cards w/ their premier rifles). I ordered one direct earlier this year in 280 AI and expect it soon. Scheels had a 6.5 CM I played with over the weekend and it felt like a great little rifle, the action was impressive and I'm sure with the trigger tech trigger and tight machining tolerances it will be a nice rifle but I'm just curious if anyone has actually shot one and had any input.

In anticipation of my order, I had Manners build an MCS-T carbon stock to fit the barreled action. From the factory it's supposedly a 7.7lb rifle and I have steel rings/base and a medium weight optic waiting so all up w/ bipod and any other accessories It's going to be 10+ lb rifle. I'm floundering on buying a Proof carbon barrel, but if it's accurate from the factory I won't mind lugging the extra pound or two around. I plan on bringing this set up (assuming it gets here in time) with me on a backcountry hunt. My pack for a 5 day hunt is right at 60lbs so saving a little bit of weight would be nice but ultimately not that important. Really just curious about accuracy.

Thanks gents

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen some reports on the Highlander in 6.5 Creedmoor and PRC. Great accuracy and the owners are all smiles. I just placed my order for a 280AI last week. I was told it "might be a while" because the most common choices are 6.5s at this time.

Thomas11

WKR
Do y’all think the 280 would be better than 6.5prc they r offering it as well? Assuming same application for deer and elk. I’ve kinda went back and forth with this. But Berger recently cane out w a 156 gr for the 6.5 prc so that could make a big diff

Tohopko

Lil-Rokslider
Thomas, I went with the 280AI because I already have excellent Tikka rifles in 6.5CM and 270 Win. If I did not have the 270, I would have strongly considered the PRC, but for a hunting rifle at the ranges I am willing to shoot big game, the PRC pretty much duplicates my 270. The 280AI is my "step down" from my 7 mags. I like plinking, steel and varmints at long range, but limit myself to 500yds on anything bigger than a coyote. Enjoy the stalk more than the long shots.

OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Here's my take on the 280 AI - less recoil than the 7RM but chasing performance when handloaded - I know 7RM can be handloaded even hotter but it's a stout round that fills a gap from the 6.5 stuff to the .30 cal stuff. Comparing 280 AI to 6.5PRC, just look at Hornady's 162gr 280ai ammo and compare to their 6.5PRC 143gr ammo - the BC of the 6.5 143 is .625 vs the BC of the 280 AI 162 gr of .631 - muzzle velocity of the PRC is 2960 w/ energy of 2782 ft lbs vs muzzle velocity of the AI of 2850 and energy of 2921 ft lbs. Nosler also has some factory 280 AI at 160 grains that is a hot round but the BC is a little lower, like .531 I believe.

You can get deep into the weeds with these rounds on paper. I have no experience with either yet (other than 6.5cm) but I really look at the 280AI as an in-betweener for elk and deer and can build a lightweight platform that won't be un-pleasurable to shoot. The 6.5PRC is an interesting round but seems more limiting than the 280 ai. Both rounds are similar in the fact that they're both in funny actions that have limiting "re-calibering" options once you've shot the barrel out and I feel like I'd rather shoot elk w/ a 280ai than a 6.5 prc, not that it can't be done regardless of which caliber you're shooting.

Thomas11

WKR
Here's my take on the 280 AI - less recoil than the 7RM but chasing performance when handloaded - I know 7RM can be handloaded even hotter but it's a stout round that fills a gap from the 6.5 stuff to the .30 cal stuff. Comparing 280 AI to 6.5PRC, just look at Hornady's 162gr 280ai ammo and compare to their 6.5PRC 143gr ammo - the BC of the 6.5 143 is .625 vs the BC of the 280 AI 162 gr of .631 - muzzle velocity of the PRC is 2960 w/ energy of 2782 ft lbs vs muzzle velocity of the AI of 2850 and energy of 2921 ft lbs. Nosler also has some factory 280 AI at 160 grains that is a hot round but the BC is a little lower, like .531 I believe.

You can get deep into the weeds with these rounds on paper. I have no experience with either yet (other than 6.5cm) but I really look at the 280AI as an in-betweener for elk and deer and can build a lightweight platform that won't be un-pleasurable to shoot. The 6.5PRC is an interesting round but seems more limiting than the 280 ai. Both rounds are similar in the fact that they're both in funny actions that have limiting "re-calibering" options once you've shot the barrel out and I feel like I'd rather shoot elk w/ a 280ai than a 6.5 prc, not that it can't be done regardless of which caliber you're shooting.
I think this is the best assessment I’ve heard on this comparison. Although the prc catches and actually surpasses the AI out past 600 yds or so in some bullet configurations I think I like the heavier bullet.

OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Finally arrived. Going a different route with the Manners stock, going to see how this rifle does as it is, might keep it, might sell it later. Anyway, I have a badger rail and medium rings with the new NX8 2-20 and will be bringing this to the mountains next month. Going to break it in with factory Nosler 160 gr accubonds and factory hornady 162 gr eldx.

One comment on the NX8 - the bell of the objective is so close to the turrets that mounting this thing on a typical picatinny rail creates challenges for getting your eye relief set, or really I guess you could also interpret that it’s just a really short scope. I had to cut half an inch off my rail to get the eye relief right for me. I’m also pretty dedicated to keeping my scopes as close to the barrel as possible - one of the notches on the magnification ring would come into contact with the rail at 16x - I had to grind one side of the rails a little to get enough clearance to use the full power of the scope.

Anyway, I like the system as it sits. A little heavy, probably in the 10lb range, but I can handle a couple extra pounds. Will post more on accuracy once I have some intel.

Attachments

• AA9F1252-2575-4A34-8CEB-E2FACAF45FC1.jpeg
    AA9F1252-2575-4A34-8CEB-E2FACAF45FC1.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 207
  • 3E1B83EE-DA96-4B36-B91E-B2F348CF9019.jpeg
    3E1B83EE-DA96-4B36-B91E-B2F348CF9019.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 197
  • F9F2CE06-7F11-4843-A754-1FC8F5F72211.jpeg
    F9F2CE06-7F11-4843-A754-1FC8F5F72211.jpeg
    159.6 KB · Views: 165

IF ya handload the case design of the 280 AI has a nice case neck and with the choices in powder will nip on the heels of the RM all day with 160 + bullets - less throat wash as well

OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
I will hand load eventually. Been a busy year and still stuck in an apartment. Bench is built just a matter of convincing my wife to move back into a house so I can finally hang all my taxidermy back up and have a place for the bench. I think the 280 is appealing mostly because of the hand loading aspect. Like most, I like a lighter recoiling rifle so the chance to have similar performance to a 7 mag with less punch made me buy this rifle.

I will say I don’t love the Highlander stock, the LOP is a little short on me and I like a little more comb. That’s why I originally had the manners stock built. But after a decent amount of thought, I decided to dedicate the manners to a carbon build because even if I replaced the highlander stock with the carbon manners, the weight savings would not be much. My gunsmith had a spare defiance tenacity laying around (and the tenancity and the bergara actions are both Remington clones) so I bought a proof carbon barrel in .284 for the next build. Only problem is the bolt face he had was a magnum, so I’ll be a proud 7mag owner in a few months.

Depending how the two of these rifles perform will ultimately determine what I do with the highlander. But for now, I’m hoping it’s a shooter and will test its mettle soon

OP
A

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got the rifle out for a test run. Broke it in with Nosler 160 gr accubonds, 2 boxes, cleaned between the first 3 shots then let it go. It did not approve of the accubonds, averaged 1”+ groups at 100 yards. Went home and ran about 100 patches through until it was clean.

Came back out tonight - shot the hornady precision hunter 162s, seemed to like these a lot better. I also added a triad stock pack which got my cheek up for a much better cheek weld. Rifle was always sub 1” groups, and shot a few that were pretty solid. First group was a little under an inch and the second was sub 1/3 moa (both groups in pic), think it just needed an initial fouling to get it going. Barrel got hot pretty quick and groups opened up but in general it was a shooter.

Still don’t love the length of pull and it’s a little heavy for how I think it’s being marketed but pretty solid rifle, I really like it.

Attachments

• 32885943-9E9A-4D51-95F4-6BBFF4D154DA.jpeg
    32885943-9E9A-4D51-95F4-6BBFF4D154DA.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 82

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I got the Highlander in 6.5PRC and mounted a Leupold VX6-HD 3x18x50 on it. I also put a Triad stock pack on it. I have them on two of my other rifles and have come to the conclusion that they are going to be a perm fixture on all of my rifles. Great piece of equipment! I spent about 3 hours on the range yesterday breaking in the barrel, sighting in the scope and shooting groups. Pretty much standard break in procedure. I ended up shooting almost 3 boxes of 143gr ELD-X's. Easily able to keep 5 shot groups less than .75" MOA and a couple just under .5" MOA. I'm sure a better shooter could do better than I did and hand loads would do so also. I don't hand load, yet, and have some Copper Creek 140gr Berger Elite Hunters coming in and can't wait to get back out to the range to see how they group!

As far as the rifle is concerned I like the stock and the LOP. I'm short, 5'5" and have short arms. So the stock fits me fine. The trigger came in at 3lbs and I adjusted it down to 2lbs before going to the range. Trigger adjustment is very easy. What I really like is that as you lower the pull weight, turning counter clockwise, you can easily feel and hear clicks which according to trigger tech equal a 2 oz movement in the pull weight. That figure doesn't add up because in my case I counted twelve clicks to bring the weight down from 3 to 2lbs. Regardless there is no creep or over travel that I can tell with this trigger. Recoil feels on par with my 7mm08 in a Win EWSS that I have. Overall weight with the scope, Talley Picatinny rail and rings come up to a bit over 9lbs. I'm not really into light weight rifles and at the same time don't like carrying heavy ones either. So this kind of hits a middle ground for me.

So far I'm really liking this rifle! Earlier I mentioned that I don't hand load. Well as expensive as ammunition is and with little variety this will change. I think it's a valid excuse I can run by my wife. Seriously though, I really do like this rifle and have no buyers remorse in any way.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Well have an issue with my Highlander. When I was at the range I loaded the rifle one round at a time. At the house the other day I tried to load the magazine and could only get two rounds in the magazine and that was a major pain to do. I called Bergara and spoke with an Oliver there and he walked me through disassembly and reassembly of the action from the stock. Basically to make sure the bottom metal and all was assembled properly. Didn't help at all. Could only load two rounds into the rifle. Specs online say 3 +1 in the chamber. Another issue that came about was when i loaded two in the magazine and one in the chamber and tried to cycle the bolt the loaded round would eject properly but the bolt face would ride over the round in the magazine. I would have to fiddle with that round for the bolt face to catch the round and load it. It would eject properly and then the bolt would pick up the last round and load it properly. I tried this process 3 or 4 times and the bolt always road over the 2nd round. When I inspected the brass after cycling these rounds you could see that they were getting really scratched up. The whole cycling process was pretty rough on the brass! I spoke with Oliver again and told him what was going on and he sent over a RMA right away. So my Highlander is now at Bergara and they are going through it. Hopefully it doesn't take too long and they correct the issue. I'll fill everyone in on the outcome. BTW Oliver's help has been great! One thing i can say is that CS so far has not been lacking in any way.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
So I received my Highlander back from Bergara this afternoon. Only took two weeks. The rifle cycles smoothly now but the magazine only holds two rounds. They load easily but you cannot load a 3rd round. I emailed Oliver, my contact there, and told him this and he came back with because of the dimensions of the 6.5PRC round the internal magazine only holds 2 rounds. My answer to that was that they need to change the description online and in their catalogs and manual.

So Bergara CS was very good and the work done was much faster than their 4-6 week time frame quoted. I'm a bit disappointed that the magazine only holds two rounds. So a fully loaded rifle carries 3 rounds total. The rifles is very accurate and at this point I love the 6.5PRC round itself. I can easily keep 5 rd groups in the .5" range so this rifle shoots better than Bergara's 1" or better guarantee. Is it a keeper? So far yes.

xrangerx

WKR
My 280ai will be here this week! Scope and rings will be here in time too. Pretty stoked to get it all together

Motown

WKR
Thinking about picking up one of these in the 280ai or 6.5 PRC. Just wanted to see how you guys are still liking them and how the accuracy has been?

I received my Highlander in 280AI a few weeks ago. Originally I wanted it in 7mm-08 as that’s my all time favorite caliber but never could find one in stock anywhere. So I went with the 280AI. I have been nothing short of impressed with the rifle and the caliber both. I don’t reload so I’m at the mercy of factory loads and semi custom. I settled on trying Copper Creek’s 140gr Accubond load first as I’ve always been an AB fan in my 7mm-08’s. The rifle shot .5 moa with that first load I tried in it. I called that good and started carrying it to the woods. So far I’m 5 for 5 with it with 4 deer and a coyote and shots ranging from 75yds to 286yds on the longest one. All fell within sight. I’ve always said that nothing would ever take the 7mm-08’s place as my favorite cartridge but damn if this 280AI isn’t making a hard argument for its self.
This is my 7th Bergara and my first of their Premier lineup. I wish I had stepped up to the Premier series sooner now. The extra features are well worth the added cost over the B14 series. With that being said all of my B14’s were sub moa as well. You really can’t go wrong with either lineup but these Highlander’s are as close to a perfect hunting rifle for me as I’ll ever find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motown

WKR
I received my Highlander in 280AI a few weeks ago. Originally I wanted it in 7mm-08 as that’s my all time favorite caliber but never could find one in stock anywhere. So I went with the 280AI. I have been nothing short of impressed with the rifle and the caliber both. I don’t reload so I’m at the mercy of factory loads and semi custom. I settled on trying Copper Creek’s 140gr Accubond load first as I’ve always been an AB fan in my 7mm-08’s. The rifle shot .5 moa with that first load I tried in it. I called that good and started carrying it to the woods. So far I’m 5 for 5 with it with 4 deer and a coyote and shots ranging from 75yds to 286yds on the longest one. All fell within sight. I’ve always said that nothing would ever take the 7mm-08’s place as my favorite cartridge but damn if this 280AI isn’t making a hard argument for its self.
This is my 7th Bergara and my first of their Premier lineup. I wish I had stepped up to the Premier series sooner now. The extra features are well worth the added cost over the B14 series. With that being said all of my B14’s were sub moa as well. You really can’t go wrong with either lineup but these Highlander’s are as close to a perfect hunting rifle for me as I’ll ever find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a big 7/08 fan as well and that 280ai is pretty intriguing! Any idea of the actual weight of the rifle? I am trying to keep this rifle under 9 pounds and am not sure that will be possible. I will most likely be using a Tract Toric which is around 20oz so it would probably be close.