Berger bullet

Orehunter

FNG
Has anyone used or seen the berger bullets perform on mtn goats? My wife is planning on shooting the 168grain vld, as that is what the gun likes and shoots the best. With the ammo shortage, would it be worth trying to change it up to something different before her sept goat hunt?

7mm with 168g Berger’s at 265 yards DRT. Shot placement is a huge deal on goats they are a tough animal.
5bc0712fa75f1036b4cb3c9bd27f9d9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

280Ackley

WKR
I would just recommend that you keep your shots over 150 yards. I’ve shot everything from Moose to coyotes with my 280ai with the 168 vld. Everything has died quickly but close shots have done some terrible damage to the off side.

OP
O

Orehunter

FNG
Thanks for the responses. Definitely gives me more confidence. We have shot many deer and elk with them. Our shots have been anywhere from 40yards to 400 yards. I do agree that the longer distances have seemed to have quicker effects, but it did the job at close ranges too. Once again thank you guys

Truck24hr

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot them from 6.5 140's on elk to 710, to 7mm 210's? (Having trouble remembering) on whitetail as short as 100.

All DRT, even the elk at 710 with a 6.5

Nilsen5

FNG
Has anyone used or seen the berger bullets perform on mtn goats? My wife is planning on shooting the 168grain vld, as that is what the gun likes and shoots the best. With the ammo shortage, would it be worth trying to change it up to something different before her sept goat hunt?
Haven’t used on a mountain goat but the VLD Hunting bullets work really good on Pronghorn in my area, I would imagine they would work slick on any goat.

mcr-85

WKR
My mom shot her goat with the 175 elite in a 7mm mag. 510 yards and he did the death wobbles and rolled. I think you'll be ok.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

CRSWY

FNG
We have used the 140 VLD and the 168's , none of them took more than 3 steps. Very effective.

Will be using them in my 7MM next month on Kodiak for goat. My uncle and cousin will be using the same on their Utah elk hunt next month too. Does anyone know where to find them? Have been looking for a while.

Heading to Kodiak in November on a Goat/Deer hunt and plan on using my 300 Ultra Mag with 210 Berger VLD's. Hoping they do the trick.

ramhunter

FNG
I've had no problem with Berger's on game other than the 115gr in my 257 WBY. I prefer and shoot the ELD's over the Berger's, IMHO

Grease

Lil-Rokslider
Wife killed a cow elk at 535 yards with a 210 vld, 300 win. one shot, dead right there. imo Berger's can't be beat, we use them in every rifle we shoot.

dogman11

FNG
I shot my first goat with 215 Hybrids at 611 yds and planted it 10 days ago. Shot a ram at 427 that planted it until it rolled over 500yds into a popular tree log 2 days before. After looking at a big grizzly at 20yds 2 years ago in the yukon I decided I wanted something bigger than a 130 grain bullet. I'm shooting a gunwerks clyrm in 300PRC that I've ran about 250 rounds thru this summer, the more i shoot the high BC bullets in the wind the more I like it. I'm a believer in Bergers

BCP

FNG
Interesting topic. I've gotten 100% 1 shot kills with Bergers (6.5 PRC and 7 STW) the last 3 seasons on several large whitetails, big muley, huge aoudad, large black bear, nilgai and pronghorn. All were DRT except the bear ran downhill in a death run with half his lungs blown out. I'm researching mountain goat hunts and some of the guides don't seem to like Bergers. I know goats are tough but with good shot placement, I think it should be fine. Anyone getting pushback from the guides on using Bergers?