6.5 PRC bullet opinion

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Need some help on what bullet for close range hunting in 6.5 PRC. Close range is an 200 yards or under. Primarily game will be whitetail deer (which in my area are big, about 200 pounds) and feral hogs. I was shooting the 156 Berger and it was grouping decent but figured I’d play with a load a little before season and see if I couldn’t get something better. I also hated to shoot a 156 because in my 7mag I shoot a 160 and to me that doesn’t seem like much of a step up. I was thinking maybe 140 Berger VLD but Berger recently told me that using such a fast shooting cartridge at close range will work against me and that an ideal speed would need to be 2900 or under. I felt like that would be fairly hard to achieve with my 6.5 PRC considering I was shooting the 156 2960. Suggestions on what to use? I haven’t voted out the Berger because I feel like it would perform just fine but I really don’t know, I’ve never shoot one real fast at close range. Would I be better off with something like a 140 Accubond that is bonded and would hold together? 143 ELDX and 147 ELDM I have on hand along with a bunch of 140 Berger and 156 Berger. Where I hunt is extremely thick and I need an animal to be DRT or have a very strong blood trail. Thoughts?

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
140 AB (hard to find)
140 partition (easier to find but $$$)
Or 120 TTSX/127 LRX (easy to find and reasonably priced)

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
Nosler themselves told me the accubonds were in production so that’s why I was considering them.

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I feel like you bought the wrong rifle. You are trying to find a bullet that negates the entire reason the 6.5 PRC exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think you are correct, sounds like a 6.5x284 or something a little slower would suit better

rbaney

FNG
Well if dead set on using the 6.5 PRC and I see no problem with that one can always load down. Just because it can shoot 2900-3000FPS doesn't mean you have to. Also the 6mm cartridges are great for deer. Whatever you decide just enjoy the time out in the field.

JGRaider

WKR
For the conditions described by the OP, I'd choose another cartridge first. If I were bound and determined to use the PRC, the accubond and/partition have no peer as a hunting bullet. I'd also consider the Norma Bondstrike. Norma's factory ammo is stupid accurate.

Woitey

FNG
I use the 124 Hammer Hunter in both my 6.5 Creedmoor and PRC. My rifles have the 1/8 twist and both love them. But I have to agree with the various posters that if you are going to use it as a relatively short-range thumper, the 140-grain Nosler Partition, providing it shoots in your rifle, is always the answer.

OP
T

The_Whitetail_Kid

Lil-Rokslider
I may use my grandpa 6.5x284 that shoots in the 2700’s with a 140 Berger. Might be more appropriate