Best 300wm for elk hunting?

Rock4

FNG
Looking to try and get out west for an elk hunt. What are some good rifle options (300wm) for under $1300?

All sorts of options out there, especially if you’re not wanting some sort of long-range chunker of a rifle. Winchester, Remington, Weatherby, Ruger, Savage, Tikka, Bergara, etc.

OP
R

Rock4

FNG
All sorts of options out there, especially if you’re not wanting some sort of long-range chunker of a rifle. Winchester, Remington, Weatherby, Ruger, Savage, Tikka, Bergara, etc.
Cristensen Mesa v. Bergara B-14 v. Browning X-Bolt Max?

Cristensen Mesa v. Bergara B-14 v. Browning X-Bolt Max?

I’ve never been a fan of Browning A/X-Bolt rifles. I have a Christensen Mesa 300 Win Mag that’s a real shooter. It’s a loose 700 clone just like the Bergara, so pick the trim package you want. I could be convinced to part company with my Mesa if you want it.

OP
R

Rock4

FNG
I’ve never been a fan of Browning A/X-Bolt rifles. I have a Christensen Mesa 300 Win Mag that’s a real shooter. It’s a loose 700 clone just like the Bergara, so pick the trim package you want. I could be convinced to part company with my Mesa if you want it.
I would be interested in discussing that - shoot me a text @ 858 - three five three - 4002

Mubs

FNG
Love the Christensen Mesa, my best friend / hunting buddy uses the x-bolt hells canyon in 300 win and swears by it. Can’t go wrong either way

PRC_GUY

WKR
pay once, cry once for good good custom 300 WM for Elk hunting my friend , heap rifle can shoot but not the same.

Wags

WKR
Personally I choose fit over fancy. The old saying of "if it fits, it hits" is very true. As long as your buying a quality firearm within your budget I'd always go with the one that fits best. Then you can factor in things like trigger pull and so on.

Look at the Savage Storm or the Tikka Lite. Take the savings and apply to your optic budget (get an even better scope) or get hand-loads developed.

But whichever route you go, make sure the rifle fits you.

AkRyan

WKR
Is $1300 for just the rifle or the whole package? Will you use this rifle for other hunts? What's is the max range you feel confident shooting at a elk size target?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Look on the user market too, I got my Kimber mountain ascent 300wm for 1100.00, it’s a great gun.

Probably get slammed but.....I'd look at the Weatherby Vanguard in stainless and use the savings on the optics. I have 3 and all are absolute tack drivers with hand loads. My son's 300 WM will shoot a ragged hole with the 180 accubonds. Also check out the review on the backfire channel on Youtube. Nice guns for the price point.

j43097

FNG
Strongly recommend an x bolt. For the money I don’t think there are many better options. If you have deep pockets, get a custom/semi custom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ive had trouble with the magazines in 300 wm. they re-did them not long ago but even the new replacements they sent me are not 100%