New gun thoughts

Ehunter56

FNG
Getting the itch for something new. Already have multiple varmint/coyote guns (.22-250, .243, .22's). Stepping up from that, I go to 25-06, 270WSM, and 300WM. Basically hunt whitetail, muleys, and antelope. Occasionally go out west or up north for moose or elk. Feel like I have that range of game covered, but thinking about an African Plains Game trip in the future. Any thoughts on a good caliber I don't have covered? Thanks all!

TaperPin

WKR
The 375 H&H has the history, but it flys about as flat as an airborne bathtub. Everyone should have a 375 at some point in their life.

About as much kapow in a flatter shooting package is the 340 Weatherby. A 338 ultra mag or 338 Lapua would be a touch more, but that’s getting way up there in recoil. My personal cutoff point for recoil is the 340 WBY or 375 H&H - both are very similar when fired side by side in equal weight rifles.

I wanted an accurate 340 so bad for a number of years - had a Shilen barrel put on a Winchester action and it shot like crap - obviously something was wrong with the barrel install and the accuracy wasn’t ever better than 1-1/4 moa, but Shilen told me to kick rocks.

I‘ll get another good .338” barrel sometime this year, and have another go at it - although this time I’m using a reamer that is sized a lot more like a PRC with tighter dimensions and a normal length freebore. The Ultra Mag makes more sense, but I love the look and feel of the 340 case.

Matt5266

WKR
A step up from your varmint guns for out west and larger game, I love my 300 WSM and I will never sell it. It's a tack driver. Newer cartridges would also be good to consider like the 7 PRC. If you dont hand load and want some old faithfuls. Theres 7mm mag, 300 win mag or 30-06.

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
Taper, my grandfather was a pretty well known big game hunter back in the 50-60's. His favorite "one gun if I had to pick" was the 300 Weatherby. Weatherby's are GREAT guns and great rounds, I used to have one, but since I currently don't reload, I hate the idea of a cartridge where 8-10 boxes of ammo cost as much as a new gun. lol The 375 H&H has been on the radar though. Not sure why I have always wanted that cartridge.....

I’ll throw out the 300 h&h. Awesome classic old round that definitely has a fantastic history on big game, especially in Africa. Parent case to MANY of our most popular rounds today.

I inherited a beautiful custom that was chambered in a 300 wildcat that was horrible to find components for and had to make custom dies and all that. I had it rechambered to 300h&h. It’s my favorite rifle I own. Multiple whitetail kills and multiple aoudad kills.

Doesn’t kick like a WM and was the standing long-range champ for many years. Just good classic round, in my opinion.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Taper, my grandfather was a pretty well known big game hunter back in the 50-60's. His favorite "one gun if I had to pick" was the 300 Weatherby. Weatherby's are GREAT guns and great rounds, I used to have one, but since I currently don't reload, I hate the idea of a cartridge where 8-10 boxes of ammo cost as much as a new gun. lol The 375 H&H has been on the radar though. Not sure why I have always wanted that cartridge.....
375HH was great a few years ago, I can’t remember the last time I saw ammo on the shelves for it and even then it wasn’t anything I really wanted. I have a few 375s and enough supplies to load them for the rest of my life but it really seems like it’s turning into a hobbyist cartridge now. Dosent seem like nosler has even done a run of 260g bullets for a few years now. Norma seems to have new brass here and there. I havnt seen any federal blue box 270g for quite awhile and I’m not sure anybody is even making a stainless 375 now…maybe browning?

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a 45-70 for something “different” myself. Range limited but being able to choose from 250-500 gr and different power availabilities is pretty sweet. Excited to throw it into rotation for bear and hope to take a moose in AK with it someday

Last edited:

Hammsolo

Lil-Rokslider
I’m personally looking at the 22 creedmoor, and 7 PRC. I need to see if the stories are true, if the hype is real.

Nostalgically I’d love a 338 win mag in a Ruger #1 or Guide Gun. I had one in a Mark II, but sold it. I always wanted the hotter friends. I just don’t need one…

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You already have a 300 WM, which should cover most everything in the world except maybe a couple of the biggest and baddest Africa has to offer. So unless you plan on targeting a specific large dangerous game hunt, you might just have an itch that doesn't need scratching.

I understand wanting a new gun but you have pretty much anything walking covered with your current cartridges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TaperPin

WKR
You won’t regret a 375 - it’s just a fun & unique gun. All your friends will want to shoot it and everyone will be grinning from ear to ear when they do. *chuckle*

A lot of ammo choices showing in stock on shootbot.com and Nosler brass is also shown as being available from a number of places. After the craziness in Ukrainian passes and ammo supplies go back to normal prices of less common cartridges like the H&H will drop and supply will go way up.

When I couldn’t decide between a Remington or the Winchester 375, and none were available to look at, I ordered one of each, shot them a number of times and almost kept them both! Lol. The Winchester uses a thicker contour barrel like a varmint weight, while the Remington was a standard magnum taper like a 7 Rem mag, but with the big 3/8” hole makes it quite light weight. The Winchester was more comfortable to shoot, but the Remington was much nicer to actually carry, just like a thin barrel 22-250 vs a varmint weight 22–250.

My other 375 was a Ruger #1 - what a cool unique rifle - it was a fun timber elk gun if nothing else. It was used in a small hardware store and the original owner worked there and passed on his stories of the elk the took with it.

If you haven’t handled one, the discontinued CZ Brno screams classic Africa.
These used to be cheap, but prices are going up.

0BC1C9E9-2731-4857-9C25-3D7655CC3B01.jpeg

OP
Ehunter56

Ehunter56

FNG
5miles and Mike, Oh, I know......but some people are just gun nuts. lol Funny thing is, I'm more of an avid bow hunter. I think last count I had 14 bows. lol I gave up gambling, booze, and loose women, so I gotta have at least one vice. lol

Taper, I've always wanted a 375, for no particular reason other than "Damn, that's a big gun!" Been thinking maybe something in the 338 range as well. Being single, one can never have too many guns, or at least I don't get told by someone that I have too many! lol

Wapiti1

WKR
.375 Ruger or H&H. Ruger just released some African models in .375 Ruger. They need to be bedded, but are well done rifles. Otherwise, a Winchester M70, or CZ 550. I see no reason to have a .300 WM and a .338 of any flavor. Even though I have more than one .300 and a .340 Bee. I don't shoot the Bee very often.

I have rifles from .22 to .458 Lott and used to have a .505. There is no shame in having a selection.

Jeremy