Best 308 mountain rifle under $1500

I have a 20 year history w/ tikka's and currently have a veil (among others). It checks all the boxes. If you can get your hands on a montana and actually spend some time behind it, it would behoove you to do so. I've had a couple kimbers that I've shot well enough but sold. I never had any of the accuracy issues or feed problems but mine just never fit me well. Chalk it up to poor stock design or my lanky'ish frame but the tikka's for me are easier to get behind. All that said in your price range and weight if I was choosing one gun @ 8lbs I'd be buying a sako s20 with no hesitation.

I’m in the market for a semi lightweight 308 as well, seekins ph2 is at the top of my list right now. I have a savage ultralite in 6.5 gender bender, and like that rifle quite a bit, but don’t like stock trigger, stock is functional, but I’m putting it in an xlr magnesium element, and put a timney in it… turning into less of a good deal to make it mine… the seekins looks turn key pretty much

I guess it depends on can you leave good enough alone? I have had a kimber hunter and a few tikkas, like both, and being left bone stock, I prefer both to the savage ultralite (just based on factory triggers alone)

Hey roosiebull can you elaborate on the savage accu trigger? Did you have issues with it? Or just don't like that style of trigger?

CJ19

WKR
I have a tikka t3x lite (270) and a kimber montana (308). The tikka is a little more accurate than the kimber with various loads i have put through it so far. Not that the kimbers performance is bad as it maintains good groups out to 300 yards which is as far as ive worked with it. The tikka is just scary accurate, practically same hole accuracy at 100.

The kimber is definitely a nicer rifle to carry in the mountains though. Its lighter than my t3x lite and carries better than any other rifle i own. If you get the t3x superlite i suspect weights will be comparable. One downside for me is that I hate lots of recoil. Even a 308 in that really light kimber isnt fun to work with at the range more than 10 or 12 shots for me.

Honorable mention for me is rem model 7. I have an older one that shoots great and carries great. Short length of the model 7 might not be ideal for some ppl.

OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
I think I am still leaning towards the Tikka veil. I’m sure the fact that the deal I’m getting is time sensitive is playing a part on that. I had replied to Hereinez how I thought using a short action cartridge in a long action would cause problems if you reload and use longer bullets, but the more I think about it wouldn’t a longer action have more room? Tikka seems to have a system that works if a lot of people highly regard them. So anyone care to shed some light on the pros/cons of a short cartridge in a long action because I’m ignorant on this and haven’t had great luck finding a definitive answer.
I did read that you actually are able to use longer bullets, but may run into feeding issues out of the magazine.

Last edited:

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Kimber in 300 wsm that is quite accurate and has been a good rifle. Also a my Sig Cross is really nice to carry and accurate. Only comes in a two stage trigger though so if you don't like the trigger you are kind of stuck until they come out with something aftermarket.

I thought using a short action cartridge in a long action would cause problems if you reload and use longer bullets, but the more I think about it wouldn’t a longer action have more room?

I did read that you actually are able to use longer bullets, but may run into feeding issues out of the magazine.

I reload for 2 Tikkas (one in 6.5 Credmoor, one in .308 Win). I have had zero issues reloading for them (in the 6.5 I have loaded 130s all the way up to the Berger 156 with zero feed/function problems). Buy with confidence.

WKR
I don’t know if there can be a “best.” I think it comes down to what’s best for you. Having said that, if I was looking for a handy .308, a Henry Long Ranger would be on my short list. It generally gets good reviews and has a better trigger than a BLR.

ChemE

FNG
Christensen Arms mesa is pretty good also. Comes with a very nice trigger and the palm swell on the stock fits well.
I have the Mesa in both 308 and 6.5CM and love them both. Don't sleep on the Weatherby Vanguard either. It's a great rifle.

Last edited:
OP
Datslab

Datslab

FNG
Ended up going with the tikka veil. For the price I just didn’t feel like it could be beat. There is a lot of good rifles on here that I’m going to utilize just in different calibers.

MattB

WKR
I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the best three or four. I think people get too wrapped up and forget that the differences are pretty minimal and won’t make a difference on a hunt. All our opinions about better are just that…
I can't help but think that those who allow themselves to get drawn into the mental masturbation that occurs with decisions like these would be better suited to quickly buy one of the very good options available and spend the extra time walking a loaded pack up a hill.

Tone.308

FNG
Don't hesitate and go with the Tikka T3x super lite. I own a T3x chambered in .308 and it weights less than 8 pounds with leupold vx-3i 3.5 -10 x 40 Mounted and loaded mag. it’s super accurate