Best ACTUALLY waterproof gear?

I've got a Columbia OutDry EX... the one's that look kind of like an old school rain slicker. The membrane is on the outside of the jacket, so you don't have to worry about a DWR failing, and the material is very durable. It has kept me bone dry on top in the Cascades. It breaths okay when it's all closed up, but not great. But it also has huge pit-zips that really ventilate it well.

Columbia has a few OutDry models that look like they're made from the same material... however some of them have some stretch and are quieter, and other's have no stretch and are a little louder. The problem though is their web site has been absolute crap... they give you almost no useful details about their products, so you won't know which type of material the jacket is using unless you call and speak to a customer service person - and they may not know either.

The jacket I was referring to above is the EX Gold but I think they've changed the name to the EX Reign. It's the stiffer one, and doesn't stretch. It's a little loud the first few times you wear it, but it quiets down after you've balled it up a few times. It has been a great shell for me, super tough, and completely dry.

I'm only 5' 8" and I ordered the Talus. I figured that the waterproof portion at the the back of my leg (calf muscle) was too low and would barely be above my 8" boots if that. Do find that to be an issue being shorter? Basically it seems like these will be more effective for tall people as built-in gators.

I’m 5’8” 32 inch inseam and don’t see any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HH Impertech will leak. It has stretch which makes it more wearable than true PVC but it leaks. Plus they don’t have leg zips. Wont use that stuff unless I’m still hunting somewhere very wet and cold with long hillside glassing sessions, think Kodiak bear.

Under Armour with Gore Pro leaks like Walmart rain gear even brand new. Never ever don’t ever. Literally tags popped off at the truck, he was wet within 30 minutes. I was in worn out Sitka and was dry. Step for step same route taking turns leading up into the sheep hills.

Sitka Stormfront leaks after a solid devils club session or halfway through your second season. It’s more puncture resistant than the Cloudburst.

I’m on my fourth season with my Sitka Cloudburst set. It’s tenacious taped up like crazy. It’ll get replaced this year cause it leaks. Notice I’ll buy it again though...

Marmot Paclite has been really good for day hunts. Hasn’t leaked yet but I haven’t beat it hard.

Arcteryx is the cat’s pajamas but I haven’t had new vs new on Kodiak yet so I can’t say for sure if it’s better than my Sitka.

Kuiu Chugach is good. It has its limits though. Brush beating you’re getting wet. Period. Pressure points you’re getting wet.

Soft face rain gear is for tree stand hunters. Wouldn’t be caught dead in the mountains with it ever again. I used Cabela’s MT050 back in the day and then Sitka Downpour. Wrecked both, got VERY wet in both. Sitka warrantied and even upgraded me to Cloudburst for free.

Best recipe for wet brush boot prevention is OR Crocodiles with fresh rain gear over the top. Every boot I’ve ever had has still leaked through with the exception of my Crispi Briksdal SF, I cannot say enough good things about that boot. That’s a different topic though.

Takeaway: it all leaks eventually, does it dry fast without a wood stove? That’s my primary concern 100% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Columbia OutDry EX... the one's that look kind of like an old school rain slicker. The membrane is on the outside of the jacket, so you don't have to worry about a DWR failing, and the material is very durable. It has kept me bone dry on top in the Cascades. It breaths okay when it's all closed up, but not great. But it also has huge pit-zips that really ventilate it well.

Columbia has a few OutDry models that look like they're made from the same material... however some of them have some stretch and are quieter, and other's have no stretch and are a little louder. The problem though is their web site has been absolute crap... they give you almost no useful details about their products, so you won't know which type of material the jacket is using unless you call and speak to a customer service person - and they may not know either.

The jacket I was referring to above is the EX Gold but I think they've changed the name to the EX Reign. It's the stiffer one, and doesn't stretch. It's a little loud the first few times you wear it, but it quiets down after you've balled it up a few times. It has been a great shell for me, super tough, and completely dry.
I have the Columbia Reign. I bought it 2 years ago from the employee store before it came out. I would agree 100 with everything you say above. I've emailed Columbia customer service multiple times for specs. I emailed them about the Reign 2 years ago when I bought it and they didn't even know what it was. The Reign's fit is perfect for layering but not too big. Weight is just about 12.7 oz for a Medium and is a great backpacking rain jacket. The only thing I would add is that it's also a little bit shinier then average and the material, although light, doesn't roll up as small as an equivalent more traditional weight rain jacket. It seems to be one of the more durable jackets for its weight. I bought mine for $99 but Columbia recently had it on sale for $80 or $90.

All waterproof/breathable membranes with 25lb of pressure or more will let water through. This happens most at the knees, when kneeling and at the pressure points of the backpack shoulder straps contact points.

All brands tell you its 100% waterproof but won't tell you that it is 100% guarantee to leak if put x amount of pressure on it.

You should wear gators UNDER your rain pants, and do the cuffs up tight on the pants. Anyone who understands waterproofing on a building understands how overlapping should be done with rain gear. Having gators outside of rain gear is funneling water towards your skin.

Think of siding or flashing. Lower layers tuck under higher layers.

I might argue that with you. But we would be splitting hairs. Sitka being owned by gore has good stuff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
And Arcteryx being made out of Gore renders the discussion moot.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm super fortunate that my body temp runs about 500% lower than most. I have to work HARD to break a sweat and if I can stay shy of that, I've found very few rain garments that disappoint me. I've had some jobs that kept me in rain for weeks and I hunt as much as a working class guy can and through all of that I've found that either the thinnest rain gear, PVC or non brushed shed the best for me. Windstopper does me well if I can stay active enough to be warm enough to keep moisture transfer going....and they all suck once I sweat to a point that I'm no longer trying to pass sweat vapor but liquid....with the windstoppper doing better than the rest at drying out, as long as the material has a chance to get out of the rain and stay warm.

I think a lot of people expect gear to pass sweat at unreasonable rates.

Best I’ve used is arcteryx as well. Pricy but I have a set going on over 10 years, still work great and very durable.

I'm super fortunate that my body temp runs about 500% lower than most. I have to work HARD to break a sweat and if I can stay shy of that, I've found very few rain garments that disappoint me. I've had some jobs that kept me in rain for weeks and I hunt as much as a working class guy can and through all of that I've found that either the thinnest rain gear, PVC or non brushed shed the best for me. Windstopper does me well if I can stay active enough to be warm enough to keep moisture transfer going....and they all suck once I sweat to a point that I'm no longer trying to pass sweat vapor but liquid....with the windstoppper doing better than the rest at drying out, as long as the material has a chance to get out of the rain and stay warm.

I think a lot of people expect gear to pass sweat at unreasonable rates.
What is the thinnest PVC rain gear you've found and had good experience with? Or material. Willing to make my own as I burn through HH about every two years

PNW is not all created equally. Here on the Olympic Peninsula we had over 30” of rain in January. For this type of wet there is nothing that will keep you dry but rubber & you will be soaked from the inside from sweat with any activity & it can be cumbersome. So get what your comfortable in & can afford then get out there to see what you can endure.🤷‍♂️
What is the thinnest PVC rain gear you've found and had good experience with? Or material. Willing to make my own as I burn through HH about every two years

I use to live on the Olympic peninsula and I have tried tons of “waterproof” gear. Brands that have not kept me dry. Under Armour rain jacket, Cabela’s MTO50 rain jacket. I have the Skre Nebo that works if it’s not raining really hard. The best of the best for me has been the KUIU Yukon. Definitely heavier than the others but if dry is what you are trying to be in the heavier PNW rains then the Yukon is the way to go. I wear a backpack when hunting and where the straps go over your shoulder is one place I’d get wet all the time with almost every rain jacket I tried. The Yukon is the only one that has not done that. Going on 6 years with the Yukon and still keeps me dry.

I hunt very often in Pvc rain gear, both the grundens Neptune and the helly Hansen impertech. I love wearing rubber jackets here in Alaska on extended hunts. The one think I hate about them is the inner material, it's a thin neoprene type fabric. It absorbs the moisture from your sweat and wicks in from the bottom of the coat or through the cuffs. Once the inside gets damp its hard to dry and will make you cold quickly if your not moving much.

I'll often bring both a pvc jacket and a kuiu coat on backpack hunts and sometimes wear them at the same time. If I'm hiking hard above treeline in the rain I'll just wear the kuiu because I'll hopefully sweat less. Once I stop for a good amount of time I'll throw the PVC coat over top to hopefully prevent the kuiu from becoming oversaturated. If its a day where I'm not working hard enough to sweat I'll just wear the PVC and keep the kuiu fresh and dry.

Hi All,

I'm moving out to the PNW and would like to get some real deal rain gear. I've had three layer gore-tex gear with sealed seams, pit zips, adjustable hood etc. Never seems to work, either it breathers so poorly I'm soaked even with moderate activity or it leaks and I'm soaked.

What are you experiences with the big three: Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite?

I'm willing to consider other brands too, Patagonia, REI etc.

I just want my legs and torso dry and I'm wiling to spend the money to do it!

(I have treated the gore-tex gear I have with DWR, reapplied it and followed all directions, results are mixed)
Look to what the commercial fisherman are wearing for reliable bombproof and waterproof. You won’t want to wear it hunting though. Doesn’t matter what waterproof breathable you buy it is all going to let water in after continuous wear in the rain. To get waterproof and long term durable you have to use non breathable, use venting strategies and manage your base and mid layers. DWR will fail sooner rather than later and renewing it is a game of diminishing returns.

Thoughts on buying rain gear used? There's a set of Sitka Stormfronts that are my size over on the classifieds that look decent. But doing some research it seems that line was refreshed in 2019 and I think these are prior to the refresh.

I typically get 2 years use from Goretex or Gortex like products before they start leaking on me. The most rain I generally see is pig hunting the coastal mountains here in Ca, which I do a lot of. Like many places, it can come d ok wn in buckets. In short, I agree with the light weight PVC crowd.
Where can you hunt pigs on the coast?

Where can you hunt pigs on the coast?
I am in So-Cal. However, there are feral pigs from Thousand Oaks through and beyond the Bay Area into and east of the Central Valley. Find some BLM or National Fores and start exploring. This is a perfect time of the year to look for areas they utilize as the evidence left behind is blantly obvious during this time of year.

Back