Best all around duck call

T28w

WKR
I bought the DR-85. Now that I saved so much money thanks to everyone, do you have a Canada goose call that you also recommend? I have a primos goose flute now.
What are your thoughts on the dr 85.

Y’all are about to make me go burn a twenty dollar bill to try one. I’ve never, and I do mean never have seen a poly call give anywhere near the volume and range that a good acrylic call has.

I agree with what others have said about changing reeds. I have ruined a ton of reeds playing with different calls seeing what I can get them to do, just because I enjoyed learning and playing around with calls. Once u are comfortable playing with the reeds, it opens the door to really changing the sound of a call. Otherwise u are stuck with what u get when u open the box, and I’ve picked up two of the exact same call in stores before and they sounded amazingly different to be the exact same call. This is also why after a while, I would not order a call. If I couldn’t demo it at a store, I wouldn’t pay for it.

JeffP_Or

WKR
I've been hunting ducks religiously....2 calls on my lanyard. Haydel DR-85...
I bought the DR-85.....
Watching this one as well....would you consider the DR-85 a small water/close-in call? I want to add a more quiet/soft call to the lanyard? I use an old wood Faulks from the '70's that I bought my dad; it sticks easily though and barrel swells in the rain anymore.
I have no recommendation on goose calls - only got into it last year and sounds like I call on par with @Oregon! Though, I have nobody to help me out so I keep at it! I carry a Winglock Delrin Goose Whisperer and a Zink Polycarb CoD....they seem to call easy; I like the Winglock so far for sounds.

OP
E
What are your thoughts on the dr 85.

Y’all are about to make me go burn a twenty dollar bill to try one. I’ve never, and I do mean never have seen a poly call give anywhere near the volume and range that a good acrylic call has.

I agree with what others have said about changing reeds. I have ruined a ton of reeds playing with different calls seeing what I can get them to do, just because I enjoyed learning and playing around with calls. Once u are comfortable playing with the reeds, it opens the door to really changing the sound of a call. Otherwise u are stuck with what u get when u open the box, and I’ve picked up two of the exact same call in stores before and they sounded amazingly different to be the exact same call. This is also why after a while, I would not order a call. If I couldn’t demo it at a store, I wouldn’t pay for it.
Got it online so I will wait and see. Should be able to head to the marsh with it next weekend. It was $20, so I guess its worth a try.

Oregon

WKR
Watching this one as well....would you consider the DR-85 a small water/close-in call? I want to add a more quiet/soft call to the lanyard? I use an old wood Faulks from the '70's that I bought my dad; it sticks easily though and barrel swells in the rain anymore.
I have no recommendation on goose calls - only got into it last year and sounds like I call on par with @Oregon! Though, I have nobody to help me out so I keep at it! I carry a Winglock Delrin Goose Whisperer and a Zink Polycarb CoD....they seem to call easy; I like the Winglock so far for sounds.
It could be, blow softer. Haha. I hunt a lot of small water as well as big coastal bays. Haydel used to make a BDR-95. It's purpose was to give your buddy a noise headache. That sucker was loud!
I just walked out to garage and snapped this pic. I have on hand a NIB backup. A Copenhagen stained, cracked backup(still sounds pretty good) and the one on lanyard.
I'm a huge fan of those calls. With that said, I'd probably have the same exact results with a $300 call or an old school Faulks. I'm just pretty dang confident on when and how to call at ducks. My buddies say "get on your call", On birds they see on their side which I don't. My reply is always the same, I can't call at them if I can't see them.
62D2BBB4-1FDE-4BDF-B415-68DB884D5E8E.jpeg

Wheels

WKR
If serious on a great duck call the two that grab the most wins for live duck calling are either one of the JJ Lares calls or One from RM calls. I use a lares Hybrid for most of my hunting. The great thing about it is no cork to go bad and it almost never sticks. You can also buy different reed lengths to change the sound. The RM calls are sweet calls,but I never have tried one yet. Other calls I wouldn't be afraid to use are calls from Gander Valley. Mark makes a couple neat sounding duck call. Also Stu McCullough makes a darn good call.
Those are the 2 calls on my lanyard, Lares Hybrid and RM CWF, but I do have a Lares T1 in my bag as a backup. I do a lot of duck hunting and have found these calls to be the best in my opinion.

35remy

FNG
I have killed more Arkansas mallards with an Echo double reed timber call than I likely will
kill for the rest of my life. It was a poly call and lasted close to 20 years, but eventually cracked. Now I’ve been sticking to RNT acrylics, Daisy Cutter and Short Barrel mostly, but I do have an old Tilbre.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Hard to go wrong with an Echo timber or pure meat for ducks. The dr85 is ok but if you don’t mind spending the extra money get one of the echos to go with it. For geese it’s pretty hard to argue with a Grounds call. Call Hunter and have him set you up. It will be a call you will have for the rest of your life, and probably pass down some day, so having a good one from one of the best isn’t a bad way to go IMO

fatlander

WKR
Echo meat hanger has long been my favorite call. It’s amply named.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried JT Calls, I’ve had a few people recommend them but no experience with them yet myself , want to make sure before I order a 120 dollar call online

DuckDogDr

WKR
Personally I like either the RNT Mondo LA or a David Gaston Acrylic for mallard calls. I really like the Gaston. Called in a lot of birds with it, and has been with me from Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana up to Canada.

My Gaston goose call however.... I’ve fought it since day 1 …can make it work but I love my Tim Grounds goose call . Night and day

Macro

Lil-Rokslider
The more I get to know this call the better I like it.
Spent half the summer trying to bark right then after I got that I found the low end. Wow.
It was cut to fit me and oh boy it fits.
16394271679864516050897758189048.jpg

Cheesy

FNG
Like some others mentioned above, RM Calls, is what I just bought a few weeks ago. The RM CWF was what was highly recommended on another forum I visit, so I bought one. I'm not much of a caller, but it blows a lot easier than some of the cheapies I've picked up over the years. Can't wait to try it out next fall.

t_carlson

WKR
Has anyone tried JT Calls, I’ve had a few people recommend them but no experience with them yet myself , want to make sure before I order a 120 dollar call online

Yes. The CQ2 is one of my favorite calls. Blows easy, very ducky.

That is coming from a guy who has owned several acrylic calls from RNT, Hobo, Grounds, Zink, RMC, Field Proven, Lares, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Bought an Omen at the same time. It is just an "average" premium call, if that makes sense. I think there's a new one out too, but I haven't tried it.

Also, bought a couple JT goose calls. Those didn't quite make the cut either.

But that CQ2 is staying....

Yes. The CQ2 is one of my favorite calls. Blows easy, very ducky.

That is coming from a guy who has owned several acrylic calls from RNT, Hobo, Grounds, Zink, RMC, Field Proven, Lares, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.

Bought an Omen at the same time. It is just an "average" premium call, if that makes sense. I think there's a new one out too, but I haven't tried it.

Also, bought a couple JT goose calls. Those didn't quite make the cut either.

But that CQ2 is staying....

Sweet thanks man

balkodd

FNG
Save yourself $125 and buy this.
f9af96912c47ecbe3c4639fa93b15349.jpg