Best Bang for buck Tripod

Title says it all. Looking for the best bang for my buck optics tripod. Currently just working with Binos, but looking to eventually get a spotting scope for 2020 season. I don't need anything fancy. Just want something rugged and reliable and doesn't weigh a ton. What recos do you guys have?

Sirui makes some great carbon fiber tripods. I run the A-1205. It comes with the Y-11 Ballhead but I swapped it out to the VA-5 Panning Head (more weight but better for long sitting sessions). The legs are in 5 sections so it packs down pretty tight.

You didn't state a budget and the advice above is solid. But, I want to point out that if your budget is limited you will find some solid options on the Slik USA website. You can find special sales and refurbished tripods for great prices.

For ultralight, I’ve been running a model from Kramer Designs called the Granite Peak. I just added a quick release panner for this season from Outdoorsmans. I really like this unit, but still feel the need for a full size tripod at times.

I have two cheap tripods, they suck. They will goninto the trash or thrift as soon as I can purchase a “real” tripod.

I’m looking at getting a tall Outdoorsmans and then run their pan head. Very expensive compared to the cheaper imports, so saving the $$$

I just got the Vortex High Country Tripod and am thoroughly impressed. It only weighs 2.2lbs, has a lifetime warranty, and costs $110. Now thats bang for your buck.

WYLight

FNG
I’ve been very impressed with the Benro SLIM Carbon Fiber Tripod. It won’t break the bank and I would compare the quality to much higher end carbon fiber tripods that I’ve used. The carbon fiber costs about $100 and weighs 2.2lbs. The only thing I dislike is the head, but it’s not a deal breaker. I will be upgrading the head to the Benro S2 video head soon for approx. $80

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
look at both the Sirui 005 (aluminum) and 024 (carbon fiber); the aluminum is only a little heavier and $100 cheaper

both can be lightened further by removing the lowest legs and center sections (but still plenty high for sitting behind)

Sirui, Slik and Promaster all have great tripods
Have a few Promaster XC525c left at $199.99. Take a look at that as it is a fantastic tripod at a great price.
Feel free to call me with any questions
Joel

I’ve been very impressed with the Benro SLIM Carbon Fiber Tripod. It won’t break the bank and I would compare the quality to much higher end carbon fiber tripods that I’ve used. The carbon fiber costs about $100 and weighs 2.2lbs. The only thing I dislike is the head, but it’s not a deal breaker. I will be upgrading the head to the Benro S2 video head soon for approx. $80

I've had this one for a year or so but I was always grabbing my Benro aluminum tripod, just a little stouter. This past weekend I made myself take the littler carbon one on a scouting trip and I was really impressed. Sitting it handles a 80mm spotting scope just fine. Would recommend.

bigbuckdj

WKR
Probably that one Cameraland and S&S sells is the best value.

I have a Sirui CF and its been great.

I’m looking for a good value setup too, sub $200. Can you share the name of the one they sell? I’d like to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grover

FNG
I just moved to a Slik 634 and a Sirui VA-5. Mid range $$ but tripod is 2.1 lbs and I can use it standing if I want to.

CatfishKev

Lil-Rokslider
I think the vanguard 264 AO is the best value. $140 with a pretty decent head and it gets up to 72". I have a couple of them but put the benro s2 heads on mine.

I've been using a Vanguard Alta+ 255CT with Vanguard PH-111V for many years that I picked up from Camofire. I am hard on my equipment and have put it through the wringer and it has held up considerably well. Camofire has tripods on the site every few days. You can send them an email and ask what tripods they have available. I prefer carbon for the noise factor as I find them to be quieter to setup.

Barnesnbow

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the silk website. I picked up a refurbished tripod for $100. It’s got a few blemishes but is functionally great.