Best Bug Repellent?

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Whats up Rokslide, I am going on a Fishing/Hiking trip up in Bishop, CA area and was told that the bugs/mosquitoes are crazy this year. So I was wondering what is the best bug repellent? Any advice that keeps me from being eaten alive helps! TY

ODB

WKR
I would spray a set of clothes with permethrin and use Picaridin on exposed skin....probably bring a head net too....JIC. That works in AK....

100%

Long sleeve shirts/pants treated with permethrin, and picaridin on exposed skin. I’m not a DEET fan at all.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Has any body had any experience with the Thermacell line of products? A quick google search took me to the Thermacell MR300 and the reviews are pretty good.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Thermacell, Thermacell, Thermacell!!!!!

We hunt wild boar right on the Altahama River Swamps in Georgia in Late Feb/March each year, and there are millions of skeeters big enough to carry away small children!!

no thermacell and u are eaten alive in 10 minutes

with thermacell you can hunt comfortably!

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider

We hunt wild boar right on the Altahama River Swamps in Georgia in Late Feb/March each year, and there are millions of skeeters big enough to carry away small children!!

What units do you recommend?

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
I have 2 of the MR300's and one of the Scout lanterns.

I recommend getting the holster package with the MR300's they make them much handier to attach the MR300 to a back pack, treestand, tent, belt etc. I have even clipped it on the back of my hat that has an adjustment thingy (not a fitted hat etc.)

I obviously dont carry the scout lantern hunting, but it's nice to set on the picnic table back at camp lol and at the pig hanging shed.

For me, who the skeeters seem to enjoy biting more so than other people for some reason, the thermacell is a lifesaver. I literally could not do the pig hunt without them, the skeeters are that bad down there

*** edit just looking at their website the MR450 looks nice as well, looks like they made some upgrades to the MR300's, honestly I would go that route unless u can find some bad reviews etc. that the newer ones arent as reliable etc. as the older ones.

*** the backpacker one looks lighter and less bulky, (not that the other ones i mentioned are heavy at all) but it appears to run off of a different fuel source, so not sure you would be saving any weight, if you had to take an extra gas canister specifically for the backpacker version.

ODB

WKR

Interesting...have heard of them but never used one so looked up how they work. They use heat to disperse “allthrin” which is essentially permethrin. Hmmm

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting...have heard of them but never used one so looked up how they work. They use heat to disperse “allthrin” which is essentially permethrin. Hmmm
How long does Permethrin work before having to reapply?

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 of the MR300's and one of the Scout lanterns.

I recommend getting the holster package with the MR300's they make them much handier to attach the MR300 to a back pack, treestand, tent, belt etc. I have even clipped it on the back of my hat that has an adjustment thingy (not a fitted hat etc.)

I obviously dont carry the scout lantern hunting, but it's nice to set on the picnic table back at camp lol and at the pig hanging shed.

For me, who the skeeters seem to enjoy biting more so than other people for some reason, the thermacell is a lifesaver. I literally could not do the pig hunt without them, the skeeters are that bad down there

*** edit just looking at their website the MR450 looks nice as well, looks like they made some upgrades to the MR300's, honestly I would go that route unless u can find some bad reviews etc. that the newer ones arent as reliable etc. as the older ones.

*** the backpacker one looks lighter and less bulky, (not that the other ones i mentioned are heavy at all) but it appears to run off of a different fuel source, so not sure you would be saving any weight, if you had to take an extra gas canister specifically for the backpacker version.
I will probably stick to the MR300 just to save some money.

Fitzwho

WKR
Have a lantern Thermocell, doesn't seem to do much to these Texas mosquitoes.

If you want a wearable repellant, 3M Ultrathon lotion is the way to go.

Rich M

WKR
I like the Repel wipes - easy to carry, can doesn't lose spray, etc. Use this fishing, work, etc.

For running around in the bushes/swamps down here - permethrin treated clothes, picaridin wipes from avon for exposed areas, and the head net. The head net makes it bearable.

Use thermacell religiously when on stand or duck hunting. Works great. I have one that is 15-20 years old. They sell bulk pack butane and bug repellent pads. You can get chinese bug repellent pads with diff chems for cheap.

Ready for the last approach? 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar daily. Won't keep em all off but sure makes a diff with ticks and chiggers.

diggerak

FNG
Tea tree oil and a drop of permetherthin to a quart of water

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

AKDoc

WKR
Another Thermocell fan here...been using it in camp for several years now, and it really works great for mosquitoes. I always pack it for trips into the field.

I've not used it on my person when on the move, so I'm not sure about that application. For that I use Repel Sportsmen Stick, but only if I have to. I really don't like using bug-dope. I also have a head-net, but have only used it a few times, and I was really glad to have it!

I'll also say that Thermocell doesn't work well at all for gnats, no-seeums, or any other flying pests, but mosquitoes hate it.

ODB

WKR
How long does Permethrin work before having to reapply?

I reapply every 3 washes, but then again I don’t wash hunting outergear after every wear. That’s more than Sawyer recommends. I also keep all my treated gear in a separate bag.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Repel wipes - easy to carry, can doesn't lose spray, etc. Use this fishing, work, etc.

For running around in the bushes/swamps down here - permethrin treated clothes, picaridin wipes from avon for exposed areas, and the head net. The head net makes it bearable.

Use thermacell religiously when on stand or duck hunting. Works great. I have one that is 15-20 years old. They sell bulk pack butane and bug repellent pads. You can get chinese bug repellent pads with diff chems for cheap.

Ready for the last approach? 1 or 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar daily. Won't keep em all off but sure makes a diff with ticks and chiggers.
Dude i was a weird kid and loved super sour stuff so that apple cider vinegar is easy. I honestly had no idea it worked this way though lol

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I wasn't impressed with the Thermocell. We were covered up in mosquitoes with the Thermocell sitting on the tray shelf on my chair. I don't even like the repellents, I want them dead. I need a flame thrower that emits flame 360 degrees in every direction around me.