Best Climbers

LW hand climber, and maybe it’s just me, but I find it much more comfortable for all day sits with the cushion removed. Did two weeks in Iowa this year with no cushion, and no issues, but maybe that’s just because it was Iowa....

Savagenut

WKR
Summit viper. All aluminum construction made in the USA fantastic customer service outstanding warranty. I know Lonewolf gets a lot of accolades. But they’ve just had a weird history over the last 10 years. From ownership changes to Chinese products to knock offs. And I do not like messing with that collapsible platform in the dark.

Last edited:
Just like most on here I've had numerous types of stands and have experienced mixed feelings with all. I really enjoy my summit for all day sits but nothing beats a lock on when the situation permits. The older I get the more I use Lock ons.

Bloodsoakedberber

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used my summit since I got a lone wolf hand climber two years ago. It’s not as comfortable but it packs and carries so much easier that I keep picking it over the summit.

Deanbow

FNG
Summit open shot is a great option for light weight and durability if used mine for 7 seasons and shot a lot of Whitetail’s. One tough stand!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used a lone wolf and they do pack flat but I have not found any stand to carry better than any other. As long as they are light and have a good carry system - which means DIY or something like the XOP carry system - they carry the same.

Also, the front bar on a stand is a great thing. Not for safety but for adding a third point of contact for shooting. Much more secure and can take many different shots if you are able to lean into the top bar.

The problem with summits is that the angle of the cable prevents shots directly behind, past the tree due to limbs being obstructed by the cables. I’m 5’9” and the summit I have has this problem no matter how close I put the sections together. I haven’t had this problem with older APIs, lone wolf, xop or now the higher level.

If the question is lone wolf vs summit then I would pick lone wolf simply due to this reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MasonfromWi

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Summit climber. Its a little cumbersome but it is very lightweight and is almost too comfortable. Very easy to take a nap in haha.

Lone wolf hand climber

As other people have said the seat is not comfortable at all but it is light and easy to climb with.
I saw on an archery talk forum post someone mentioned getting a plastic cutting board and cutting it in the shape of the seat to put between the metal and the seat pad. I did this last season attaching the cutting board to the metal with zip ties and that little piece of plastic did wonders to make the seat a little more tolerable (still won't go as far to say comfortable, but definitely tolerable!). Think the problem with the seat is that the pad is so thin that after sitting for a few minutes the metal starts to dig into your butt. The flat cutting board plastic stops the metal from digging in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

CJohnson

WKR
I've had a summit for a few years now. Once you make your own backpack straps to carry it with, it's not that bad. I personally don't mind a little heavier walk in if it means more comfortable for sitting all day.

Scottyboy

WKR
I like my summit, but I do not carry it very far to get in the woods I hunt, so the weight is a non issue for me

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
Lone wolf hand climber

As other people have said the seat is not comfortable at all but it is light and easy to climb with.
I saw on an archery talk forum post someone mentioned getting a plastic cutting board and cutting it in the shape of the seat to put between the metal and the seat pad. I did this last season attaching the cutting board to the metal with zip ties and that little piece of plastic did wonders to make the seat a little more tolerable (still won't go as far to say comfortable, but definitely tolerable!). Think the problem with the seat is that the pad is so thin that after sitting for a few minutes the metal starts to dig into your butt. The flat cutting board plastic stops the metal from digging in.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Top that cutting board for a hunt comfort seat! I did just that and it completely changed my opinion of how comfortable the stand is

AirborneEScouter

Lil-Rokslider
Lone Wolf all day long. I have a sit and climb from the early 2000s. Replaced the straps as necessary and I swapped the factory cushion with a Summit replacement seat - haven't tried the newer model's seats so they're probably improved over what I had. Great stand

Lou2

FNG
lone wolf hand climber for 15 years now. With a good padded backpack strap/waist belt system i can carry it 3 miles no problem. I prefer lightweight over luxurious.

Bmanges

FNG
I love my summit viper, super comfortable (which is important to me) and easy to use.

Dazzler

WKR
ol man for comfort. every season I take it on one hunt during the rut for the comfort and to remind me what it is like to haul 30lbs into the woods on my back.