Best Clothes for Deer Hunting in Illinois

SNFarms

Lil-Rokslider
What do you all recommend for a clothing system or systems for Bow-hunting Deer in Illinois from October thru middle of January?

Btaylor

WKR
For that window, I would want a light weight kit, a moderately warm kit with wind block and cold kit with wind block. Quiet , non-bur collecting material with DWR is a plus.

What kind of hunting are you referring to? Stand, stalk? Also, is budget a concern? That will largely determine responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSKIER

WKR
If budget isn't a concern most people will probably steer you towards sitka or first lite. If it is I'd check out cabelas. I've gotten some great pieces from them at good price although I can't speak towards their quality since joining with basspro. Hopefully it's still good.

You do NOT need Sitka, First Lite, etc. to hunt deer in the Midwest. If you want to buy it, go for it, but it is entirely unnecessary.

I have used Walmart and then Cabelas camo for over a decade in Missouri . This includes hiking many miles and camping/hunting down to negative 5, hunting in rain, and hunting in snow. Bow and rifle.

Get some Cabelas or Bass Pro Gear in different layers so you’ll be ready for multiple conditions. Silent Hide and Silent Stalk are good in house lines.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
If budget is an issue, check out the stuff from Natural Gear. The lighter stuff is not the most durable gear but will for sure work. The wind blocker fleece stuff is awesome gear but a little on the heavy side.

Lamont22

FNG
Agree that “high end” gear like Sitka and FL is not a must, especially in the Midwest. That said, the FL Woodbury is a great piece in colder weather and can be found on sale for a decent price periodically.

Can’t speak on Sitka, but my Illinois whitetail system that has also been out west is some variation of the following weather pending:
FL catalyst(must own imho)
FL sanctuary
FL boundary rainwear
FL chama hoody
Varying gram merino wool base layers (FL and Smart Wool)

The catalyst with proper base layer has me until about 30/40deg. I wore it opening last year when it was about 75 deg and although hot hiking in, I was comfortable once sitting.

I am admittedly a cold blooded creature so some guys may wear it lower than 30 degrees. I am on the Wisconsin state line which historically has much colder weather than central/southern IL and I got tired of messing with the heavy, sweat-a lot clothing that Cabelas and Gander offers. Also, once cabelas ditched the bargain cave, the incentive to remain loyal to them vanished. For a little more $ now, go FL or Sitka.

The real magic starts with merino base layers. I wish I would have known that 25 years ago.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
OP,

I completely agree that there is no need for premium outer layers from Kuiu or Sitka. There isn’t a need for super high performance gear because you shouldn’t be exerting yourself too much.

I have found that a decent water resistant and wind proof shell in a lighter to medium weight will get you through most of October and November no problem.

Around December is where your insulating layers come into play. A medium to heavy weight down vest or jacket, and down pants are great to wear under your outer layer. You may already own a puffy down coat to wear under your outer shell so that’s a bonus. They are so lightweight and packable they will fit in your pack.

As others have wisely said, invest in merino wool base layer and socks. They are totally worth it. If you don’t want to go for the merino base layers right away then you can use polypropylene and do okay too.

Boots: i have found nothing better than cheap military V.B. Boots for late season cold. Most of the archery season any boots will do fine. Good luck, i love hunting IL, but gun seasons can get very chilly. HotHands warmers are your friend!

Soolong

FNG
Honestly I have killed deer in blue jeans, Bernie sweatshirts Filson chaps, brown camo duck hunting bibs etc. The answer to your question is whatever is comfortable to you, in your price range and whatever camouflage / technical fabric that gives you the confidence to perform when the moment arrives. I see so many people looking for an all matching high end outfit. My hunting apparel is all over the board. I will say this. I have never been more comfortable than I have been in the last 5 years wearing First Lite merino base layers, midweight grid fleece from Sitka / First Lite and outer layers from kryptek / First Lite / Sitka. For me this has been a lot of trial and error. What works for one person doesn't always work for you. Don't settle on just one brand. Mixing and matching has proved the best for me. It has been very expensive and fun but all of that has not made me a better Hunter. I do feel significantly more comfortable which allows me to stay out hunting longer. The worst part of shopping for quality hunting gear is the innability to try these clothes on before you buy. Lots of return shipping fees and some items I couldn't return that are just hanging in my closet or had to sell at a loss on eBay etc. I try to support my local stores as much as possible. Trust me one day you will wish you had some brick and morter stores left to buy from. By the way I had just as much fun hunting in my cheap camo as I do in my more expensive clothing and bottom line I guarantee the deer and your hunting buddies won't care what you wear. 👍

skregear

Lil-Rokslider
To be comfortable in that four month period, I would definitely look at a layering system of some sort. Layering is advantageous because you can have core base and outer layers with additional insulation pieces as you see fit. It's not a one stop shop from October through January because weather can fluctuate drastically. Of course, you can kill a deer in any gear, so not everyone is looking for a layering system. It all depends on what you want to get out of your system and season. If you want to chat more about layering systems in general, please give us a call at 1-866-445-4128 and we'll be happy to chat with you about your needs.

For a layering system that I use in western Pennsylvania, you can check out the SKRE Whitetail Bundle at this link.

Best,
Tim

MinixJT

FNG
Like everyone has mentioned. IMO Most of us eastern hunters probably started in Army surplus etc with hoodies and Carhart jackets. If you’re sitting all day in a stand 20ft high on a ridge in winter though you’ll appreciate good layering and wind blocking. I’d not advise any newcomer to buy premium camo from the beginning as they may not like it enough or have enough sits to really need its benefit. For archery it’s crazy how much easier it is to draw your bow etc in well designed camo, for rifle doesn’t matter much. if you love it or are experienced at hunting and looking at doing some eastern white tail (which is what I presupposing) you’ll end up with it eventually. I can’t say though I foresee any use for my Fanatic stuff for elk. It’s not very packable and way to warm for active hunting.
Also I’d second hand warmers are clutch ! Almost as much as a thermacell in early archery season lol

boco7

FNG
Wool base layers are most important in my opinion. Warm, cool , or cold weather...you may need to pick different weights or layer it based on temps. Make sure you have something to handle the wind when the temps start to drop.

layers layers layers are your friend in IL the weather patterns can yo yo like crazy during that time another vote for merino base layers and the hand warmers are key for me as well

Tim B.

FNG
Since were on the subject, what to you guys recommend for early season, walk in carrying stand in the 50 to 70 degree range, could dip to mid 40s right at dark

Thanks
Tim

*zap*

WKR
So much depends on your tolerance of cold and how many layers you want too wear. I like less layers so I wear very warm clothes for the cold. Sitka is hard too beat.