Best Cold Weather Bowhunting Jacket - Advise Needed

Just got invited on a Mid-December bowhunt (Texas like climate) and was looking for advise on a good Bowhunting jacket for temps 20-40 degrees. I kind of gave up on late season bowhunts years ago as bulky constricted clothes kept messing with my form and continually pulled shots. Any advise would be appreciated.

scfreeman66

Lil-Rokslider
On those temps I use the SITKA Jetstream jacket. I will use Merino base layers, a Merino hoodie, and a Sitka mountain vest underneath depending on activity level and wind levels. I use that system into the low teens if I'm spot/stalk hunting.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

I wear an old hooded blanket wool pullover. With layers it can not be beat in my opinion. PM me if you're interested, they are no where near as expensive as some other tech type gear.

From my wardrobe, I would wear a UA Coldgear Infared mock, KUIU Guide jacket or UA Raider jacket(if it's closer to 40). (Not sure if it's still available; I found it brand new at ROSS for 30 instead of 160. DWR and very wind resistant but no insulation.) I would probably pack my puffy BADLANDS High Uintas jacket if any possibility of glassing. A vest would probably be a good investment (pun intended) since for bowhunting you want something that doesn't restrict your arms. I've found that even a cheap vest helps hugely, especially if it's under your outer layer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

shawnjon

FNG
It’s not camo but, the Arcteryx Atom AR Hoody is probably one of my favorite insulation pieces. It’s built to move in and doesn’t cause any restriction.

Brandon_SPC

Lil-Rokslider
Sitka Fanatic jacket and you are good to go. Honestly you won't even need any base layers and it's not very bulky. FL Santuary and the Woodbury both are more bulky than the Fanatic.

TX_Diver

WKR
What part of TX...? Parts of TX you just need a T-shirt in December.

I'm guessing West TX based on those temps? If so the suggestions above are probably pretty good. Good luck on the hunt!

Austink47

WKR
I like a puffy vest with maybe a windstopper jacket that can be shed when it starts to get real. But that has been spot and stock not stand hunting.

keepriding

Lil-Rokslider
I have acquired mostly First Lite stuff, but over time, it's expensive, but works, Get the heavier weight base layers EXP i think, i also wear a Sanctuary jacket and bibs, warmest stuff iv'e ever owned, but pricey. Got mine when on sale , Think sale starts wed. s&s archery, first lite home page, like %30 off.

LostArra

WKR
Over 30: some merino + fleece (FL or generic) layers with a Wooltimate vest with wind stopper.
Under 30 but over 20: I add a fleece hoody over the vest.

Gale force winds: will sub the Wooltimate jacket and pants.

I've found that using an ASAT leafy jacket over what ever clothes I need to be comfortable sure makes things simple

If budget is a thing, in wisconsin this year tree stand hunting and glassing in the teens in CO i was rolling with some kind of dry fit nike shirt then a fairly lighter weight merino layer($70) with the tight hoods then a regular long sleeve T then bought a hoodless puffy off amazon ($40) then just a cheap $15-$20 farm store camo sweatshirt. Ive never been warmer bowhunting as typically i had the same jacket issues you had. im sure the above options are much better overall but if cost is an issue this kept me nice and warm for hours without moving.

OP
Spiral Horn
Thanks for the suggestions - a lot of good advise so far.
Going to be mostly hunting from ground blinds. Will probably be using Smartwool base/mid-layer and either a Sitka Jetstream or First Lite Vest. Biggest problem I encounter in colder weather is too bulky or unforgiving material in my outer jacket that messes with my archery shooting form. Bought a Kryptek Dalibor III jacket last year on a great sale - tried it on last night with the layers mentioned above and it feels pretty good. Just wanted to see if anyone had a “go to” jacket that they swear by for later season bow hunts.

Brendan

WKR
If treestand / blind hunting I like the Sitka Fanatic. Don't buy it too big, and use an arm guard to give you string clearance. Personally though, I don't even need the arm guard, although I do have to be careful anchoring with a handheld release with the high collar.

Big part I love about it is the kangaroo pocket - put a handwarmer in there, and your hands stay good in light or no gloves.

I would not use it for any sort of an active hunt though.

SlickStickSlinger

Lil-Rokslider
Synthetic base to wick sweat and dry skin quickly, fleece mid and outer soft shell depending on weather conditions.

Like this.

Peloton 118 long sleeve t shirt, (base) , StrongFleece 210/260 (mid) thickness depends on if you get cold easy or not , dcs guide jacket/axis hybrid jacket again depending on how cold you get and wind conditions.

Bottoms are straight forward. Peloton zip offs, good quality over the calf socks and depending on how cold you get a pair of high quality fleece lined or not pants. Dont forget gaters. They help a lot too.

If you get cold easy you could always take away the StrongFleece and replace it with super down. Just add super down over the base on bottoms.

Technically speaking in cold weather you want synthetics with no elastic as a base. Save the merino for the hot days! Not even joking. Jason Hairston goes over the technical properties of both merino and polyester in a huntin fool podcast found on youtube.

I go all KUIU.
Good luck.