Best elk outfitter in Colorado?

BDDFC

FNG
Who are the best elk outfitters in Colorado? My preference is a quality hunt with big bulls where I can shoot a crossbow while they’re bugling. I would greatly prefer to archery hunt them but my archery hunting ended with a fall in 2015. So I’m willing to pay extra for the archery experience with a crossbow and I’d prefer to go with an outfitter. TIA

tracker12

WKR
I would rephrase the ? to what Outfitter has access to the best private property. Find that guide and your kill elk.

OP
B

BDDFC

FNG
I would rephrase the ? to what Outfitter has access to the best private property. Find that guide and your kill elk.
I don’t understand why? I would like to go with Hill Ranches but they aren’t taking hunters so I’m looking for something similar.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR

That should be step one.

What does "best" mean to you?

OP
B

BDDFC

FNG

That should be step one.

What does "best" mean to you?
Best means lots of bulls with a chance of 350+ bulls and great guides and I don’t care how much it costs. I’d like to hunt the Hill Ranch but it doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen so I’m looking for suggestions on similar or better outfits if they exist.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
Best means I don’t lots of bulls with a chance of 350+ bulls and great guides and I don’t care how much it costs. I’d like to hunt the Hill Ranch but it doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen so I’m looking for suggestions on similar or better outfits if they exist.

Doesn't exist.

dtrkyman

WKR
Cielo Vista Ranch, think the Primos crew used to hunt it, most of those high profile ranches are probably booked up solid!

No clue if it is the best?

OP
B

BDDFC

FNG
Cielo Vista Ranch, think the Primos crew used to hunt it, most of those high profile ranches are probably booked up solid!

No clue if it is the best?
Thanks! I’m looking for next year or the following. So I’m trying to get as much of a head start as possible.

Phaseolus

WKR
You can use your crossbow in rifle seasons but not in archery season in Colorado.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Thanks! I’m looking for next year or the following. So I’m trying to get as much of a head start as possible.
What you are looking for doesn’t exist in Co. I know some outfits in AZ that can give you what you crave, it also comes with a 25ish thousand price tag, but if you got the jingle why not…

OP
B

BDDFC

FNG
What you are looking for doesn’t exist in Co. I know some outfits in AZ that can give you what you crave, it also comes with a 25ish thousand price tag, but if you got the jingle why not…
I would like their info. Thanks!

Hnthrdr

WKR
I would like their info. Thanks!
Sure it’s vaquero outfitters. They hunt a Spanish land grant that’s like 260,000 acres I think they had 6 archery hunters last year and bulls average 380 or so. Not sure about the crossbow thing since I’m more familiar with Co than AZ, but they have monster bulls I would get in touch with them quick since I’m sure hunts are booked out a few years

COelk89

FNG
of bulls with a chance of 350+ bulls and great guides and I don’t care how much it costs. I’d like to hunt the Hill Ranch but it doesn’t seem like it’s going to happen so I’m looking for suggestions on similar or better outfits if they exist.
Go to another state and buy the governors tag.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeah, I knew that but I think once you get to the point you can’t hunt with a bow you move on to rifle…wasn’t going to feed it.
I am with you on this… or use a muzzy if you want the bugles. Although crossbows are pretty clunkie and unwieldy things. If you aren’t pulling strings back and holding before you release time to switch weapons

OP
B

BDDFC

FNG
Yeah, I knew that but I think once you get to the point you can’t hunt with a bow you move on to rifle…wasn’t going to feed it.
No need to feed it. I’m aware of it. I was a diehard bow hunter from 14-40 and hunted exclusively and prolifically with a bow for over 20 of those years. After I lost the ability to shoot a bow I essentially quit big game hunting. I was training for my first elk hunt when I was injured. I’m trying to find something to ignite the passion and killing anything with a rifle doesn’t do it for me. And I want to do it it in the rut and I can afford to make all of those things happen. I’m just looking for guidance and suggestions on where to look. Several people have been extremely helpful in PM and I’ve reached out to multiple outfitters in multiple states to figure out which option I’m most comfortable with. I’m not asking to be fed, I simply asked for recommendations of businesses.

OP
B

BDDFC

FNG
Contact the Roftopolous Ranch in NW Colorado. If they have a Landowner tag your have a good hunt and kill a big bull but it will cost you.
Thank you! I have already reached out to them and they are very high on the list right now.