Best hunting rifle!!!

OP
M
Lol okay new guy. Ironically I do coach my kids soccer league.

But to expand, 3MOA is not an acceptable field rifle, particularly for distances >100 yards. By the time you get to any reasonable long range, you’re completely off vitals. I prefer to hit my targets.

Second, an unbraked .30-06 without a recoil pad does kick hard. It’s not a matter of being able to “handle” it. It’s a matter of being more accurate with less recoil, as ALL shooters are.

And third, why do you bring extra ammo in a hunt if you truly believe you only need one shot? Stuff happens, and sometimes you need more than 1 shot. Accepting a gun that frequently jams is a recipe for disaster.
Your awesome but the challenge isn't to kill a deer at 500 yards with your old rifle. The idea of the challenge is to push yourself within 100 yards like gramps had too. Sorry if I came off rude I just like to start a conversation

Your awesome but the challenge isn't to kill a deer at 500 yards with your old rifle. The idea of the challenge is to push yourself within 100 yards like gramps had too. Sorry if I came off rude I just like to start a conversation

And what do you do when you simply can't do that because the terrain doesn't allow it? Go home empty handed after you've spent thousands of dollars on a hunt and got drawn for a tag because you weren't challenged enough?

Why stop there? Just go full Elmer Fudd and close the distance to double barrel with buckshot range or don't bother hunting.

atmat

WKR
Equipment doesn’t make the man.
People say stuff like this but it’s dumb. Let’s say that G&F requires you to use a .243 or larger caliber and you only have a .223. Does your equipment stop you?

Equipment alone won’t make you successful. But a certain level of equipment is a minimum requisite.

giphy.gif

or GTFO
Actually the atlatl was the height of technology for its time and anyone that used one was ridiculed for being unsportsmanlike and unethical. Every night at the Pow wow someone would pipe up about how you should just use a big rock and get close like grandpa used to.

My favourite part about my 303 enfield is the brass recoil pad that makes my shoulder look like mobsters beat me with a pillow case full of door knobs after a short practise session. My second favourite part is carrying it all day so when I finally get a shot my pudding arms no longer communicated with my brain. My third favourite is that I need to hold 12" low and to the left on follow up shots because the slightest amount of heat turns the English barrel into a gummy worm.

I’m using grandpa‘s 2018 T3 X with vertical grip, limbsaver butt pad, and fluted stainless barrel. In 7mm-08. Oh I forgot to mention… I’m grandpa.

To be fair, Grandpa is still somewhat old school. I used to hunt with a 1963 R700 in 30-06 and a $100 tasco scope. It was a reliable 2 moa gun. All but one of my kills were inside of 200 yards, and otherwise I just wouldn’t shoot.

I hate xmas so whenever anyone asked what I wanted I would say “Socks… or a Tikka T3 in 30-06!” So my wonderful son took me up on it. Only killed one Muley with it, and now Grandpa has bought himself a T3 in 7mm-08. No tag this year so plenty of time to get used to the new cartridge. In tribute to old school, it’s not suppressed or braked. I don’t like a long barrel. But with the “new tech“ I’m pushing my range out to 400.

atmat

WKR
I’m using grandpa‘s 2018 T3 X with vertical grip, limbsaver butt pad, and fluted stainless barrel. In 7mm-08. Oh I forgot to mention… I’m grandpa.

To be fair, Grandpa is still somewhat old school. I used to hunt with a 1963 R700 in 30-06 and a $100 tasco scope. It was a reliable 2 moa gun. All but one of my kills were inside of 200 yards, and otherwise I just wouldn’t shoot.

I hate xmas so whenever anyone asked what I wanted I would say “Socks… or a Tikka T3 in 30-06!” So my wonderful son took me up on it. Only killed one Muley with it, and now Grandpa has bought himself a T3 in 7mm-08. No tag this year so plenty of time to get used to the new cartridge. In tribute to old school, it’s not suppressed or braked. I don’t like a long barrel. But with the “new tech“ I’m pushing my range out to 400.
Cut to 16-18” and brake it and you’ll love it.

SBFD63

FNG
My Grandfathers 30-30 goes out with me every Thanksgiving. I'll take it out other days depending on the hunt. But it is always with me on Thanksgiving.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

And what do you do when you simply can't do that because the terrain doesn't allow it? Go home empty handed after you've spent thousands of dollars on a hunt and got drawn for a tag because you weren't challenged enough?

That question always makes me laugh.

I find it incredible that anybody can manage to kill an animal with a bow or primitive style muzzleloader.

atmat

WKR
That question always makes me laugh.

I find it incredible that anybody can manage to kill an animal with a bow or primitive style muzzleloader.
It’s not that people can’t use those tools. It’s that they’re not conducive to every environment, and some people don’t have the luxury to hunt often enough that they’re willing to lower their success rate by trying those tools.

Unclecroc

FNG
People say stuff like this but it’s dumb. Let’s say that G&F requires you to use a .243 or larger caliber and you only have a .223. Does your equipment stop you?

Equipment alone won’t make you successful. But a certain level of equipment is a minimum requisite.
What I’m meaning is like a good shot can take a low quality rifle and scope and harvest game at above average distances, now take a poor shot and give him a great rifle set up and he won’t be able to outshoot the good shot with a turd.
As far as cartridge goes provided legal parameters I’d be more worried about a guy with a 300 that doesn’t practice than a guy with a 22-250 that knows his rifle inside and out and knows how to load for it.
Hopefully this clarifies my headspace.

atmat

WKR
What I’m meaning is like a good shot can take a low quality rifle and scope and harvest game at above average distances, now take a poor shot and give him a great rifle set up and he won’t be able to outshoot the good shot with a turd.
As far as cartridge goes provided legal parameters I’d be more worried about a guy with a 300 that doesn’t practice than a guy with a 22-250 that knows his rifle inside and out and knows how to load for it.
Hopefully this clarifies my headspace.
Yeah, I agree with all that. I’m just saying that there’s an absolute floor/minimum that equipment needs to meet to serviceable at whatever distance/animal you’re targeting. When people place too little or too much importance on equipment, things go south.

Well if you can't kill a deer with 3 moa and can't handle a 30-06 semi recoil I think soccer is a better sport for you my friend jamming shouldn't even be a worry if you make your first shot count
Good morning to all of you gentlemen shooting deer at 40 yards with a .30-30 lever action with a metal buttplate. And to the rest of you LADIES, you stay safe out there...

I swear it's such a curse that the US gun culture is centered around the idea of more recoil/noise = manlier man. Work smarter, not harder.

I did this 2 years ago with a neglected sporterized 98 mauser in 264WinMag. I repaired the crack at the wrist/grip area that retired it years ago. The extractor was cut too large and dropped brass in the action, trigger pull was factory mauser long and heavy, the barrel was thicker than required (weight). The old 1980's VX II 3x9 wasn't bad, but not as bright as modern glass and friction turrets suck. Just wasn't a very pleasant experience with that rifle. Put $1000 into it and you might have something, but Grandpa never took to the rifle, so there is little sentimental value to justify the monetary investment. Probably a trigger and an extractor would make it manageable the next time I want to tinker. I'm also not attracted to the loose wobbly mauser action when cycling. Sure it's tight when closed, but my gosh it just feels sloppy when cycling.
r1CDddr.jpg

Depends on where you are or who you are talking too, they all kill as long as the fella pulling the trigger knows what he is doing.