Looking for good cartridge and budget rifle for 14 y/o

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Was this really helpful?

It's clear you're just trolling.

What about a 404 Jeffery?
I think you're trolling. I mean 404 jeffrey. C'mon.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

HappyHuntr

I mean, I have the best book blacktail property in the western hemisphere of the galaxy and i planted 38,000 old growth doug firs with my feet so any old rifle just wont cut it. Unless it is a 65 y/o m70 .270 win with a Lee-opold on top.
It got kinda peaceful for a page or two after this.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

If you "just got off this site" how could you argue with people trying to help you and give advice?

You've been led to water, nobody here can make you drink.
Wait my bad. I forgot your opinion was the only one that matters. @Ringbill27 and @xsn10s gave some great advice. @ReddingArcher gave good information about the PRC and there were many good explanations of the impracticality of the 270 due to bullet weights.vI was unsure of the 6CM but am now seriously considering it. The 7-08 opinions were very helpful as well.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Here are some questions:

1. Do you own a 6.5CM?
2. Would you like me if I got a 6.5CM?
3. In correlation with question 2, Do you think I'm a complete scumbag or you just don't like the fact i haven't bought a 6.5CM?

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Wait my bad. I forgot your opinion was the only one that matters. .
I'm not referring to my opinion or suggestion. I'm referring to the other dozen or so.
I'm with bbell Ruger American Ranch in Grendel with Arken lh 4-16x mil......
IMG_0878.jpeg

The 6ARC would rate a thunk, too. This is what was available here. The paint job is a sponge camo job on the factory tan ranch stock.

I live in W. WA as well. My local gun shop has been flush with Grendel ammo, 123 gr SSTs, 123 ELDMs and 123 Frontier (Hornady components) 123 FMJs, and others. I stocked up for my new rifle with loaded ammo as buying cases and components were about the same price.

Tikka 243

Wouldn't hesitate for a minute on a 25-06. Easy on recoil, VERY flat shooting, easily available ammo, and damn near everyone makes a gun in it. Would recommend it over a 243 on shots out to 300+ at deer, and more knock down power for the elk possibility. GREAT, but easily forgotten cartridge. Everyone likes to get hung up on the latest and newest...basically same ballistics out to 400 yards as a 6.5 Creed.

100% Howa Mini action 6mm ARC.

Cheapish rifle that shoots great and with a little time the magazine, trigger, etc. can be made quite good.

Cartridge has factory ammo that is readily available, inexpensive, performs fantastically well. Very mild recoil, great ballistics. It is 100% my recommendation for kids if .223 is not an option. That 108 ELDM is great terminally.
Like those.

You are trolling here and it's obvious.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Did i argue with any of these.
I mean umph like KE umph. KE is what breaks ribs and penetrates animals hide. I bow hunt my fair share and know that KE energy is real and not “in my imagination”. End of the day I’m trying to get my kid a rifle and expand his hunting opportunities.

Is 6.5 creed under 10? I’ve seen 6.5 cm at 13 foot pounds of recoil and 7-08 at like 15. Now ammo availability is another thing that’s important.

Because every man and his mom, wife, son, daughter, labrabador, house cat, and horse has a 6.5 creedmoor where i live, i don't see it usually on the shelves.

Oh no, somebody doesn't like my personal favorite cartridge, LIFE HANGS IN THE BALANCE.

As I said, im not a rifleman by any means, but im not an idiot. Im not buying a cartridge thats not available locally and personal friends haven't had success with because it's a super popular cartridge and guys on rokslide who hunt in completely different situations than me really like it. If you can kill elk at 800 yards with your 6.5 creed, more credit to you, but it's not for me nd most importantly not for my kid. Me personally, i can pull a lot of bow weight, but i don't like anything above 70lbs. for archery. Why? It's impractical and i'm not going to use something i think is impractial just because Joe Rogan shoots 80 lbs.

Your making a straw man. You're saying "the name is going to trigger me" when my reason for choosing a rifle for my KID has nothing to do with the name but everything to due with availability and what makes sense. I will get what the kid wants. Now, if he says he wants a 458 win mag I'll say no way because it is EXTREMELY impractical, expensive and i would not feel comfortable giving him that. If he wants a 6.5CM, I'll happily get him one, but we will look over why he wants it but this will happen with all cartridges. I think you're emotional because I said something that is a commonly used joke, and you took it personally. I mean were adults here like don't take it so personally.

If you bow hunt a "fair share", you should also know that KE doesn't matter in bow kills either. It is momentum and the sharpness of your broadheads that matter the most when it comes to penetration. Penetration matters for bow kills because the wound channel is much smaller and you need to drive that broadhead deep and cut as many blood vessels as possible so that the animal expires quickly. Of course, you could be the guy that heart shoots his deer every single time, so it doesn't matter.

You do realize that you can buy ammo off of the internet right? Probably save yourself some money too.

Form gave you the answer above. Read the threads regarding the .223, 6mm, and 6.5mm performance on big game animals. It is all about getting a bullet on target and having that bullet tear stuff up inside the animal. KE, frontal diameter, etc. mean nothing if you (or your kid) is flinching so bad you have no actual idea where the bullet is going to go when the trigger is pulled.

1. There is potential energy and kinetic energy. When the arrow is drawn back it has its highest potential energy(PE) and low KE. When the arrow is released, that PE is transformed into KE and the more KE there is the more impact will hit the animal.

2. I’m not saying a arrow shot with (just for example to keep it simple) 10 newtons of KE and a field point is gonna be more effective than a arrow shot with 7 newtons and a razor sharp broadhead.

It’s funny that the same people who lose their crap when I joke about a cartridge also find it completely acceptable to call accomplished hunters tards. You kinda lose credibility.

Everybody i am so sorry that I called the 6.5CM gay. I didn't realize that it was so sensitive but my bad. I never said anything about JVB and Spomer being the end all be all. If i did, please reply with an unedited version of me specifically stating "JVB(or Spomer) is the end all be all". I am soaking in all information and will most likely be getting the kid a 243 or 7-08 if he shoots the /06 and just hates it.

Im just saying he has some experience. Does he not?

Didn't realize they were that cheap of muzzle breaks. Do they rip up your ears to shreds?
I gave up at page 10.

Keep the troll going...

Reactions: Duh
OP
H

HappyHuntr

I gave up at page 10.

Keep the troll going...
1st one statement
2nd one question
3rd one statement
4th argue
5th one statement
6th one is not even me :ROFLMAO:
7th one making a statement to be proven wronging=gained information
8th one completely real not an argument
9th one in agreance with you
10th one like what the heck i asked a question. I was given valuable information and wanted to get a better idea of how the system operated.

OP
H

HappyHuntr

Looked through the whole 223 cheat sheet. If it was legal I would use my AR and let him use my AR. Read the 6mm/243 and the 260 pages almost entirely.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
Might as well boost your reaction score.
Sure I'll humor the troll

1. Not currently
2. Not a chance
3. I think you're just trolling and completely obsessed with anything creedmoor.

You've already been told by like a dozen different members that a 7-08, 243, 6mm cm, 6.5 Grendel, 6mm arc will all accomplish exactly what you asked in your OP.

You could go even farther...25-06, 257 roberts, 260, 6mm Remington, 6.5x47, 250 savage, 308, 6.8spc, ...they'll all work.

@Pickettpuncher and @Wyo_hntr would the world be a better place if i just got off this site. Honest question.
No, you’ve been given solid advice and keep running away from it. You admitted early on you weren’t a rifleman and that’s fine. You were given lots of good advice to help make yourself and your son successful in the field. Honestly, for what you want, put any of the cartridges in a hat, draw one out and go buy it. You’ll not know any difference at most hunting yardages.