Best location/opportunity for caribou with recurve?

I figure somebody has already done all the research to locate the best opportunity (guided or unguided-US or Canada) so I'm asking here.

207-12A

Lil-Rokslider
Dalton Highway if you’re looking for a from the road hunt.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I don't know what I'm looking for yet but the route to Dalton Hwy requires entry into Canada so that's not doable.

AKBorn

WKR
I don't know what I'm looking for yet but the route to Dalton Hwy requires entry into Canada so that's not doable.

I think the the guy meant the Dalton Highway in northern Alaska. Easiest way to get there is fly to Fairbanks Alaska and then drive from there, it is not a short drive and the road is all gravel once the pavement ends. Several threads on this and other forums about bowhunting the Dalton.

Sweet, only $30,000 to hunt the "biggest and best Dall sheep in the world"! Unfortunately, it would require traveling all the way to Nebraska, and I just couldn't justify the added cost/travel time of something like that. :)

No comprende senior. In your first post you state that you're looking for the best caribou hunt opportunity in the US or Canada. Wouldn't hunting in Canada require entry into Canada? Also, as stated above, the Dalton Hwy, (aka Haul Rd.), doesn't require entry into Canada.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Canada is out cuz of Covid. Drew zero tags this year despite applying in 5 states. (((sigh)))
Looking for conditions/locations that are conducive to trad. Barren ground seems difficult.
Muskox is on my hit list too.

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Unfortunately, I'd point you to Manitoba for caribou with a bow (of any kind). They have some great areas with trees that make stalking much easier. Newfoundland would be the other place that is archery friendly.

Jeremy

EastMT

WKR
For current conditions, Alaska is about your only option. You could either find a rental that would allow you to drive the Dalton or fly out. It’s probably too late for a fly out unless you can find a cancellation.

Brooks range on a migration path is doable, but my guess is you’ll have to start now to get your name in for next year.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
not gonna dial it in for ya, but two herds are producing due to abundant trend in alaska circa 2020 (blink and it'll change):

Fortymile Herd fly out zones (budget range $2700-$3500 per person)
Porcupine Herd (budget range $5000-$5500 per person)

If you do road options only, still fortymile herd but Taylor or steese hwys when timing dictates.