Best Long Draw Bow

I am getting a new bow help me pick it out . I have a 31.5-32 draw length. I have been shooting a 2010 Hoyt Maxxis 35 70# 31" dl I was avoiding having to get a new bow but I have to bend my arm or lean my head forward to shoot. I was looking at the CPXL or the Carbon Spyder LD also the PSE Freak. I am tired of not having a bow that fits. I will never get a chance to shoot a long draw before I buy. Hopefully you guys can help. For you long draw guys what would be your dream set up.Thanks

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shoot a 31.5 carbon matrix and like it a bunch. I've been a Hoyt guy for a long time and still believe they build the best stuff. I really " think" carbon feels lighter and shoots better and archery is a mental game so that's half the battle. My hunting partner has short arms and has shot elite since the beginning as a hunting now also shoots one for 3d so they must be doing everything right for him. They have a long draw model but I've never found one to shoot. Not many choices at this end of draw length and good luck finding any to try that fit, that's part of why I stay with proven ccustomer support

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
As I'm not super experienced with this (caveat emptor) I have an Idea that may be stupid but here goes. Could you have an extended D loop and test some shorter draw bows? I know it would change some things but at least then you could compare them in hand somewhat? Perhaps better than not trying them at all?

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
Don't do the longer Dloop. Get a bow that fits. There are enough good bows that draw to 32" or more. I have a 33.5" DL and have owned just about every LD bow out there except Hoyt. I kept the New Breed Eclipse. NB Cyborg is also nice for a binary. Also check out the PSE Freak with DC cams. Stay away from the CPXL in the 32" DL setting, there is an issue with it only with that setting. At 31.5" it is fine. I did not like the Strother Moxie, Maitland. The MR7 or 8 are decent but short and not much valley in the long setting. You really need to narrow and try and shoot them. Most companies DO NOT put the R&D in their LD bows. They do it in there shorter mod bows and just make a LD available, but the draw and valley usually change and are much different then the shorter mod bow. I know that NB does put significant R&D in their LD bows.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Most companies DO NOT put the R&D in their LD bows. They do it in there shorter mod bows and just make a LD available, but the draw and valley usually change and are much different then the shorter mod bow. I know that NB does put significant R&D in their LD bows.

YEP!! Nailed it. It's almost as if they come out with a great bow and then just throw some modification on it to get it to 32+ and it changes the entire dynamics of the bow, so that it's not even close to the same bow in a shorter version. Harsh draws, no valley, severe cam lean, are just a few things to watch out for in the LD versions. My days of buying a bow without shooting it first (like that will happen........LH and 32.5" draw) are over. So I guess I'm pretty much stuck with my 8 year old bow forever, because you just don't find those bows sitting on a rack in a shop. Maybe the LD RH models, but not the lefties.

I would definitely stick with the longer ATA bows, and shoot everything you can at your draw length before buying.

CaseyU

WKR
What ever you decide with that long if a draw length do yourself a favor and do not get a bow under 34" axle to axle. So you don't get such a distance from your peep and such a steep.string angle. And everybody loves a forgiving bow ;)

OP
L
Thanks Guys. Does Hoyt put the research in their LD version of the bow. I was looking at the new breed cyborg online but I did not find a 32 inch draw specs say it goes to 31.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Thanks Guys. Does Hoyt put the research in their LD version of the bow.

Given that it's Hoyt, I would sure hope so. I've been wanting to find a LD Matrix in LH to shoot at 32" draw........but those aren't sitting in every shop that's for sure. And I haven't found anyone that will order one unless you buy it up front. That's not happening again....especially for the price of those bows.

sneek-ee

WKR
Another vote for new breed.
New breed eclipse is the smoothest and most forgiving long draw bow I've owned. 35" ata. Easy to tune. Awesome customer service too.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Guys. Does Hoyt put the research in their LD version of the bow. I was looking at the new breed cyborg online but I did not find a 32 inch draw specs say it goes to 31.

They make it in a 32" version. Heck, I have one that draws 33.5", but that was a custom with longer limbs. It is my favorite bow. I could hold that bow back all day.

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I have yet to find a bow that gives you an additional 10 FPS for each inch of DL above 31". With the LD bows (32" and above) designers have to change the design of either the cam or mod some in order to keep the draw cycle relatively smooth or they would not be as smooth as their lower DL bows. Unfortunately, that's just the way it is. There is not enough of a market for a company to put into R&D for a LD bow. Most just change their design enough to enable them to offer a LD version, but don't put the R&D into really making their LD version as smooth as their flagship models. Also, they usually have to increase BH significantly which also reduces speed. The MR7 was the fastest bow I shot at 33", but there was not much of a valley if you like that? I had someone make me an MR8 at 33.5" DL. It was tuned for a 28" mod setting and when I drew it back, it was smooth and had a nice valley. As soon as I swapped out the mod with a 33" mod, the cycle was not fun to draw or hold. You could see the difference in the mods when you compared them.
Kyle from NB made me a custom Eclipse. He used there LD cam, which they had done extensive testing with and told me that the bow would be slower at IBO, but very smooth, which it was. He also lengthened the limbs which increased the BH to 8.25". At 33.5" DL, that bow is plenty fast, but smooth as butter and with a valley that you could hold all day. It is a great hunting bow.

chobbs

Lil-Rokslider
I agree on the New Breed. I have been selling them for a couple of years now and I know that Kyle will build it right for you. I have personally spoken to him about building a long draw for a customer.

OP
L
So I have narrowed it down to the New Breed Eclipse or the Hoyt Carbon Spyder Long Draw. For the guys that have shot both in a long draw version what would you get and why. Thanks

Danielboone

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned a couple of NB bows, but never a Hoyt. Personally, I can't stand their riser designs with that bar, but that's just me. What's great about NB is that you can speak to Kyle directly and he will make it right. The NB are binaries, which means they will tend to have a little more valley if you like that. Also, they have the least amount of cam lean for a binary as well.

warrbuk

WKR
Contact Tim Gillingham@ Gold Tip or on FB and see what he's getting out of the PSE Freak