Best midsize Pickup?

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at trading my F150 in and going back to a midsize truck. Not doing a Tacoma, unfortunately I think their limelight is fading and hated the little time I owned a 2016 Tacoma, completely disappointing. I had just as many issues with it as I did my work truck.

Any suggestions on midsize?

Main use will be zipping up and down logging and forestry roads to check cameras, hunt,fish, etc..

Been hearing pretty darn good things on the Ranger, seems quite a few I have spoke to seem to be happy with their Colorados/Canyons as well.

280Ackley

WKR
I’ve got a 2018 GMC Canyon with the 2.8 Duramax. I absolutely love it. Put a 2” leveling kit on it for a little extra clearance. Just got over 30 mpg on our last trip. 635 miles on a 21 gallon tank before my fuel light came on. Tows my boat and 20’ camper with no issue.

Fjellvei

Lil-Rokslider
@280Ackley I envy that range you get from the Duramax. Does your 20' camper max out that tow capacity?

OP It's tough to argue against a Tacoma but you got your reasons I guess. As a Tacoma owner my only temptation to deviate would be those diesel options

280Ackley

WKR
@280Ackley I envy that range you get from the Duramax. Does your 20' camper max out that tow capacity?

OP It's tough to argue against a Tacoma but you got your reasons I guess. As a Tacoma owner my only temptation to deviate would be those diesel options
On steep hills it’s 55-60 max but the tow haul with exhaust brake does great with handling it. I’ve towed my flat bed trailer with 7k of green lumber with no issues too.

FLATHEAD

WKR
I'm in the same boat. Went up to do a little pre scouting this weekend on NF and realized
my 2500 2WD just aint gonna cut it up in the hills.
My Govt/work truck is a 4wd Ranger and let me tell you - that is one capable truck. Plenty of power
and the suspension just floats over the rough stuff. Beats the pants off the Colorado I had before.
And I am NOT a Ford person. I still think all the buttons are in the wrong place, sits and drives weird
and the durn thing shuts off every time you stop. But other than that, great truck.
However, I think I am going to go check out the Frontiers and see what they're all about.

amassi

WKR
I'm in the same boat. Went up to do a little pre scouting this weekend on NF and realized
my 2500 2WD just aint gonna cut it up in the hills.
My Govt/work truck is a 4wd Ranger and let me tell you - that is one capable truck. Plenty of power
and the suspension just floats over the rough stuff. Beats the pants off the Colorado I had before.
And I am NOT a Ford person. I still think all the buttons are in the wrong place, sits and drives weird
and the durn thing shuts off every time you stop. But other than that, great truck.
However, I think I am going to go check out the Frontiers and see what they're all about.
We have a fleet of new rangers and my only gripe is the insanely loud fan that kicks on when its hot out. Granted it's a lot of idling and stop and go driving so they tend to heat up quick In the heat.
I believe the next gen of ranger is going to get an engine boost with the 2.7 EcoBoost as an option in 2023 and a touch more interior room

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
I have the 2020 Colorado ZR2, no issues & no complaints. Bought it new, it will get in the 20's on the road. So far it's everything I'd hoped for. I sold an 05 Tacoma previous to this one.

ElkNut

kda082

WKR
I just traded I’m my 14 Ram crew for a new Frontier pro 4x. Averaging low 20s driving with a light foot. Thought about an ecoboost but I’m an empty nester and just wanted to downsize. There is a recall on the transmission but dont think it effects newest models. You can actually find these on lots unlike tacos. CFF42721-BFAF-4FA7-9116-098A1B86C83E.jpeg

tony

WKR
Really like my 21 Ranger Tremor. That little turbo kicks ass, average 25-26 mpg.

I don't do any hard core off roading so the tremor will do more than I need.
Pulls over 7k which again is more than I'll ever use.
The 4 cylinder turbo engines are taking off. GM is using it as the only engine in the 23 Colorado, which looks to be a nice ride. Read somewhere Toyota is doing the same in the new Tacoma.

There's a button near the shifter to turn off the "hippy mode".
I ran little test recently and left the start stop in operation, I found no difference in MPG. Im guessing its more of an emissions thing.

OP
GarnerAF1

GarnerAF1

Lil-Rokslider
Really like my 21 Ranger Tremor. That little turbo kicks ass, average 25-26 mpg.

I don't do any hard core off roading so the tremor will do more than I need.
Pulls over 7k which again is more than I'll ever use.
The 4 cylinder turbo engines are taking off. GM is using it as the only engine in the 23 Colorado, which looks to be a nice ride. Read somewhere Toyota is doing the same in the new Tacoma.

There's a button near the shifter to turn off the "hippy mode".
I ran little test recently and left the start stop in operation, I found no difference in MPG. Im guessing its more of an emissions thing.

Nice! Yeah numbers wise it’s looking like the Ranger is at the top of the pack.

Plus seems all the videos and reviews from Australia, NZ and internationally have really been impressed with this current Ranger platform. Sounds like the new Gen is going to be even better with updated interior design and some extra refinements.

Yeah sounds like the new Gen Tacoma will have a high rev turbo charged 4 cylinder as well. Unfortunately it’s about dang time they actually do something relatively updated. Personally won’t consider them for quite sometime. Not impressed with them, not crazy about the cult like following and think people are hung up on a reliability legacy that pertains to the past generations but i question the newer stuff. I wasn’t impressed at all with my 2016.

Sounds like I should go test drive a ranger soon.

E-Rawk

FNG
I'll chime in with another vote on the Ranger. I am absolutely enamored with my 21 Ranger Tremor. It's got more than enough power to do anything I need to do with it. The 4 wheel drive system with the different modes is super useful as well. Trail Control (think super low speed cruise control) works really well when crawling along some of the trails to my fishing spots. That truck definitely tows too.

wesfromky

WKR
I am doing this same search as well, and think I will end up with a Nissan Frontier. Like the ranger, but they don't offer the body style I want (quad cab, long bed). Some people reporting issues with the Colorado Transmission. Looked at Tacomas but the Toyota tax is real, and just don't think they justify the extra over the Frontier.

dtrkyman

WKR
I prefer a smaller vehicle, makes it a bit challenging on road trips as far as space, but I find myself in too many tight trails and mountain "roads" where it would be a bit tight for anything bigger.

I am keeping my current rig until it dies but have researched all the small trucks, the Nissan and the Ranger had me tempted, as well as the zr2 but it is a bit spendy!