Best pack for carrying a child?

Looking for some insight into the best pack and frame for carrying kids. Something commercial like the osprey is what I’ve been looking at.

Thanks for any advice!

I tried to go the cheap route and did just about anything but the Osprey. This is one piece of kid stuff that’s worth spending money on! I’ve had issues with flimsy kid seats and uncomfortable/poorly built frames. Especially if you are used to a nice external frame pack. My brother in law has the Poco, and they backpack/hike extensively. The frame is comfortable and adjustable, and made it through two kids! If we have another, I’m plunking down the cash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the nicer Osprey one and it still isn't comfortable. I strap it to my Kifaru fram. If was was going to do it again I'd buy a simple one with the intention of strapping it to my hunting frame

How many kids? ;) (Believe me it was better than the other joke I thought of.)

My wife and I had an REI one about 5-12 years ago. It was an external frame style. It worked really well. Lasted 3 kids. I have no idea how the new ones are though.

Deuter kid comfort 2! It’s the only one we have had but it’s been through 3 and on the 4th kid. It is nice that the straps adjust and my wife or I can carry. Lots of features and support. Look for a used one.

We used the osprey for 2 kids and it worked great. Many long hikes and backcountry camping. Probably has more miles on it than most hunting packs:) gave it to a friend and they are putting more miles on it.

The deuter was great for us, but it is important what your kid likes. Our daughter cried every time we put her in the osprey.

I bought a Deuter for $50 off of craiglist. I took off the shoulder straps and waist belt and strapped it to my Seek Outside Revolution frame with the gatekeeper system, I am sure one could do the same with a Kifaru, etc. frame.

This looks perfect for a slightly older kid that might want to walk for a while. Then when the inevitable “I’m tired can you carry me” let them ride in the grab it. My wife and I have an osprey from when our daughter was younger, it’s great. It has a shade for child when it’s really sunny, and she could sleep in it no problem. Wasn’t too bad for me on comfort either.

The osprey is the cats meow for the kids, but the backpack is lacking for the person its strapped to. The best thing I did was take off the hip belt from the osprey and used the straps on my exo to attach to that(i just had the shoulder straps in between the frames). Then the kid and the adult had the best of both worlds. We went lots of miles that way until he outgrew the kid compartment.

When they are really small its hard to beat a baby bjorn.

I used the osprey a lot with my son as he grew. Its heavy and the belt doesnt support any weight but its better than some I tried. Best thing was how easy it was for him to sleep in it. For several months I was using it in the yard just to put him to sleep.

Another option I liked a lot was the tula. Its lightweight and more comfortable for the adult. You can carry it front or back which is good if you want to carry a pack and the kid. Downside is its hard for them to sleep in it. Definitely worth having in the pack when they get a little older though.

Last edited:
I carried my daughter a lot of miles in a Deuter Kid Comfort III. It was very comfortable for me and she almost always went to sleep while in it.

When the kid falls asleep in the pack, you notice it. Much “heavier “ The sunscreen on the osprey for the child is great in the mountain sun.

Have the osprey poco ag plus and really like it. Easy to carry 18 month old who is around 24 pounds, room for everything we need for a day hike and hydration compatible.

Back