Best and most comfortable pack to carry 60+ pounds?

Cdpp880

WKR
Out of me and my hunting buddies we have stone glacier, seek outside, and mystery ranch Out of those the SG, and SO are the more comfortable, although I would not be disappointed if I had to use the MR. I really like how streamlined the SG is and it carries weight very well.

Reactions: B02
Any of the big three (Kifaru, SG, and Exo) should be able to easily haul 60+ pounds without any trouble. Try them and see which fits you best. I've tried all three, but I use a SG.
This is about as good of advice as he can ask for. Everyone seems to have a preference, if one was the “best” everyone would use it

For me, the K4 is in a league of its own when considering the whole package. It hauls weight as well as my kifaru, and is just as stable with a heavy awkward load, and is extremely comfortable in hunting mode.

It’s the only pack I’ve used that doesn’t trap blackberry and salmonberry debris between my back and the lumbar pad (which used to give me a painful rash that would never heal) some packs were better than others, but the k4 doesn’t do it at all… not sure why, but I like that

It’s not a hot pack on your back in warm weather, breathes well, good head clearance, and being an inch taller than my kifaru was, is no more snaggy in the brush, which I think is the frame angle above my shoulders… it follows my body ducking under and going through brush.

The k4 is like a mix of all of the good pack attributes I’ve had over the years. Like the bags, everything on it is extremely intuitive, breaking the pack down to haul meat isn’t a puzzle, it’s built so even simpletons like me have no problem with it.

Lid cinches down and isn’t floppy… I could go on, I love that pack system… the next guy may feel the same way about a different pack. Trying some with weight is ideal but not practical.

Exo gives a trial run of 30 days I believe, and I think I’ve heard similar of other pack companies. I do think it’s one of the items you shouldn’t compromise on if you can swing it, or you will end up paying double through the upgrade process (like glass)

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Of the packs I have used, from worst to best

Blackhawk ALICE pack < Gregory Boltoro < Exo K3 < Seek Outside < Exo K2 < Exo K4.

I have and use both Seek Outside and the Exo K4. Both will haul over 100 pounds. The K4 is a touch more comfortable for me and I like the bag and frame design better, enough not to mind 2 extra pounds for most things. For ultra light, a integrated Seek Outside is impossible to beat for a 6200 pack at 3 lbs and 10 oz that will carry over 100 pounds and not cause suffering.

If you like the design, Stone Glacier, Seek Outside, Exo, or Kifaru will all work. Kifaru will be the heaviest from what I have seen, SO the lightest.

TheHammer

WKR
I have several packs. Mr, kifaru & a k4. The k4 is top of the heap imo. My archery shop carries every sg pack and every time I’m there I put one on and try to make it work. Not for me. I would love to try an akek and IA. Both of those are great designs and seem like companies that want to put out better products. The new kifaru frame looks to be an improvement on their end. To me the kifaru is rugged and tough but it makes me too vertical, doesn’t fit me that well. Each pack is different and each brand offers unique features that are pros, they all have cons. Find one that works for you.

Like most I have gone through an evolution of trying out different packs, eventually settling on MR. I went with MR because they seem to fit me best, but it wasn’t without some trial and error. On their website I should wear a medium yoke/waistbelt, but with any sort of weight past 60ish pounds or so and it would get uncomfortable. So on a whim I decided to go down and did a small yoke and waist belt and now it fits like a glove.

I started with a Kifaru duplex and didn’t care for the rigidity of the frame, so I went with a bikini frame and had several different packs on it. Nothing seemed to really fit me quite right. I even used the KU series for awhile and it was better, but not great. I always felt like I wasn’t big enough to wear the pack properly. If that makes any sense.

I ended up trading my Kifaru for an Exo and really like that pack. I had it for a number of years and it led me to Mystery Ranch. I did a trade for a pintler and haven’t looked back.

I have tried a Seek Outside, I don’t care for the frame, it reminds me too much of an ALICE frame and I am good.

The Stone Glacier packs are pretty rad, but I don’t care for the frame, they were like wearing a piece of plywood on my back.

HPG has a harness system that drives me crazy so that was a no go for me.

Over the years I have modified my packs to make them what I want them to be, adding pockets or buckles to get to my end result. Again, lots of trial and error. So far I have four MR packs and three frames, but I usually just use the one frame/bag. The others are for the folks that come out to hunt with me. MR is much easier to adjust to various people, in my opinion.

The bottom line is that you have to find what works for you and why it works for you.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Man, you have have asked a loaded question, so to speak.
Packs are like shoes.....some will fit you, some won't.
The nice thing about most of the packs mentioned is that you can try them out and send them back if they don't fit you which is a great thing for a company to do.
Good luck and you are in the right place!

FWIW......I've had about all the packs listed and currently use a SG 5900 and actually also use a Osprey aether pro 70 sometimes, especially in the non hunting applications.

Randy

Wildhorse

Lil-Rokslider
F1 mainframe has done extremely well for many of individuals with an almost endless pack compatibility system my personal favorite has and seems to continue to be no matter how many packs I continue to buy an F65 little big top.