Best pack for public land whitetail

Layrk15

FNG
This past fall, I ran the pop-up 28 for day hunting and it performed awesome! The only draw back is I wish I wouldve got the 38 but the 28 was on sale. Now I just need to figure out which pack to get for overnight hunts. Was thinking of going with Exo. Heard a lot of good things about them!

Layrk15

FNG
I am using the Mystery Ranch Terraframe 50 I got a month ago and used it to pack out my doe last week. I got it from Sierra.com for $229. That’s a fraction of any other packs cost that would be appropriate for carrying all of the stuff you mentioned.

25c0d84c34991203c7ba84d5fed63faa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lol...This is awesome!

i have an exo mountain gear 5500. I can us it for multi day hunts and it packs down small enough for day hunts . I use it for every hunt.

Im thinking the Pop up is the way to go. theres one for sale in classifieds right now but the belt might be too big for me, and i dont have enough posts to reply!!:mad:
Haha. I’m in the same boat as we speak. I wanna reply to a pack on there but can’t

The MR Terraframe 50 is a great pack to fit your needs. I packed out 3 field dressed whitetail deer with it last year. They ranged from about 80-140 pounds and had no issues.

I got it from Sierra.com for $229.
127394059c82f2bd1511f77c07bda6d7.jpg

BFazz

FNG
I’m using the Kifaru Straightjacket this season. Really like how it handles stand, sticks, and gear. Also cinches down pretty slim when running cameras or going light.

Used a MR Pintler last season. Nothing wrong with it, but the Kifaru frame is night & day difference IMO. Also like the versatility of the Kifaru with lid, belt pouches, extra straps, etc.

RCL

WKR
I would avoid the Badlands 2200. Had one years ago and not impressed.

schmalzy

WKR
I run a lock on, sticks, kill kit, layers etc in a pop up 28. Love the set up. Everything can be secured quietly and you can roll through the woods super efficiently. Very pleased.

I can fit a puffy pants/jacket, rain gear, and kill kit in the main bag no problem. Other miscellaneous gear fits in the two other pockets. Takes less then 2 minutes rig up and rig down. Clip one of the top straps to my stand.

I'm running the Kifaru Shapecharge for this same situation and love it. Haven't ran into any situations where i wished I had the external frame. If I where packing in a stand instead of a saddle id go with a frame and a stryker xl. But for saddle hunting the shapecharge is awesome! Add a sherman pocket if you want extra room.

Lowg08

WKR
Mystery Ranch Pop-up would be a great choice. I just use my Stone Glacier X-Curve and 5900 compressed, but it's pretty strappy for a day pack
I used this all year. Compress in bivy mode is 4300. I am looking into the new approach 2800 bag for this year

I'm probably in the minority here but I like to run super lean when Whitetail Public land hunting here in the Southeast. I run a Kuiu Venture 1800, it does not have the meat shelf/external frame but holds my platform, gear and sticks on outside perfect to my profile so I don't snag anything on way in, as for meat hauling the downside if i'm deep is I have to debone qtrs to pack out, but I carry a trash bag to put my gamebags inside of.

ClayA23

FNG
I like my EXO 4800 without the lid. I have contemplated buying their 1800 bag but have not yet pulled the trigger.

Mystery ranch mule on guide light frame. Platform and sticks tuck right in the meatshelf, makes it easy to stow and remove. Mule is plenty of bag for any day hunt.

naternate

FNG
I used the Full Curl Lite G3 combo this year. First frame pack I have ever bought. Packed in stand, sticks, layers, with extra room I didn’t use. It carried very well. Early season next year will probably just use the frame because it has enough storage in the waist belt and wings for what I take to the stand (no camera gear)….although that stuff would prob fit in the wings. Packed out quartered meat and cape/head from a mature Kansas whitetail that prob would have dressed over 200 lbs. Not the same trip tho. Might be able to do a saddle platform with the meat and carry the sticks….only guessing at that…..def could boned out. I am 6’2” and it did feel a wee bit short although I have no experience on how a frame pack should fit LOL. A little cheaper than most of the already mentioned packs.

I had a mystery ranch cabinet, the new similar version is the mule that I always liked for carrying a small amount of gear but would pack a ton of meat when expanded. I packed a whole quartered blacktail a couple miles with no issues. The pop ups look awesome too. If it’s strictly for that type of thing and not tons of miles it’d be a less expensive option than the kifaru etc stuff. That being said, I really like my kifaru stuff but I use my pack for multi day trips also.

ArkElk

FNG
I use a Kifaru Eastern Ruck or a Kifaru Hellcat. The eastern ruck is what I use when saddle hunting. I occasionally use a frame pack when hunting the national forest around the house.