Best pillow for backpacking?

JG358

WKR
i guess non of you are man enough for a purple hippo pillow pet. you dont know what your missing. i can just about garentee its more comfy than most of the options listed here. and it stuffs into anywhere.

I'm not sure about the whole purple hippo thing but the Unicorn pillow pet is pretty comfy. :)

mdog

FNG
I like the versitility of using the stuff sack with a fleece lining, extra clothes and puffy down jacket inside. Like sleeping at the Hilton! Last year woke-up cold a few nights and had to put on the jacket to sleep in my 30 degree bag...the pilllow suffered. This year the Mont-Bell down vest at 5 oz. is going too.

MIKEYB

WKR
+1 littlebuf! Although I have not been man enough to pack it. My signifcant other has that exact same model.That thing is soft! I might try to stick it in a compression sack when I get home. It might end up going missing!

i guess non of you are man enough for a purple hippo pillow pet. you dont know what your missing. i can just about garentee its more comfy than most of the options listed here. and it stuffs into anywhere.
I went into REI and asked about the purple hippo pillow, but the only thing I could find that was purple was the REIs clerks hair. Ohwell

dihardhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Tried hospital pillows (inflated and deflated with a simple drinking straw)...wouldn't even register on my kitchen scale. Uncomfortable as rip. Sacrificed 2 or so ounces and some $ but sleeping much better on a Montbell UL Comfort System Pillow. Spent about 20 nights on it so far and very happy with it.

I have the cocoon UL air-core pillow (green), the thermrest down pillow(Red) and the Thermarest compressible pillow(blue).I dont really like the cocoon pillow or any of the air pillows because as you roll on them the airshifts too much. They are very compact though and if space is an issue I have taken it. The down pillow is pretty comfortable, I stuff my first lite llano in it and it pretty comfortable. It actually compresses down further than the picture shows, without a stuff sac it just kind of fills back up. I like the thermarest compressible pillow the most but it is the largest so if space isnt a problem I take that. As compressed as it is in the pic is about as small as it gets unless you were to put it in a compression sac like a 5 string with your sleeping bag. I didnt have the the down pillow last year but I think it will be my go to pillow duting hunts and when my pack just seems to be getting full. Its much more comfortable than the coccon.

Attachments

• IMG_0947.jpg
    IMG_0947.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_0948.jpg
    IMG_0948.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 128

BigMac

FNG
I've never packed a pillow with me, always used a jacket/stuff sack. But, I picked up a couple of self inflating pillows at Costco the other day. It is made/or branded by "the backside", they weigh in at 10oz. Not sure if I'll be packing that much extra weight, but for $14.00 I couldn't pass them up.

Manosteel

WKR
I get bad tension headaches if my neck isn't just right when I sleep, so I sewed some flannel into stuff sacks that are just the right elevation for my head. I stuff my puffy coat/ vest into it at night and zip it up for a customized pillow with just the right height and firmness. Have worked so well for us the last few years that we have had several friends request them...

It weighs in at 2.6oz (which is a lot less than alot of commercial pillows out there), and eliminates the problem of my jacket going flat or moving around too much while I sleep. The height and firmness can simply be adjusted to preference by adding more stuff.

02cef5e3.jpg

Luke was training for next season with the CL, so I used it for scale...
Packed down small
09a73da1.jpg

Stuffed with a puffy jacket, I always have one along anyway...
db487670.jpg

Ready for a night of awesome sleep
8184e34b.jpg

I have never brought a pillow out but at 2.6 oz, I think I will borrow your idea becca. This thread has me thinking this is worth the weight.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
manosteel - I never used one my whole life hunting until last year when I got that Exped pillow. I will never go without it. Once you go pillow there is no going back. You will notice how much better you sleep that is for sure

Manosteel

WKR
It will probably be one of those things u didn't know you needed until you try it. A rolled up jacket or my pack was what I used to use.

Lawnboi

WKR
It will probably be one of those things u didn't know you needed until you try it. A rolled up jacket or my pack was what I used to use.

I never used one either, until one trip I decided what the heck. 3 or 4oz for the cocoon one iv got(same one as above pic) is great. I can deal with the air, much better than a shifting jacket. If im going real light ill leave it behind, but for the most part I bring it everywhere

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I take a flannel pillow case and fluff my clothes and put inside it. My Kryptek Kratos jacket works good for fluff. I also have used my sleeping bag stuff sack and put my clothes inside and a t shirt over the outside. Both work good.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
I use a game bag and stuff it with a puffy jacket. (I used to use a fleece sweatshirt, but I now have a Russell APX4 coat that will replace it.)

What I do it take my smallest shirt and stuff all my jackets and other shirts inside. Works swell. And also keeps them a little warm

no limits

FNG
just bought a exped pillow pump haven't received it yet guess I will find out when I get it

Maxhunter

WKR
Just bought a EXPED pillow from REI today. Tried it out at the store and I think it's going to be a great asset in my pack.

I've tried the jacket rolled up in the past but it's not working. I just can't get comfortable and wake up a lot during the night.