Best rechargeable headlamp

disquek

FNG
Do you guys have a link to a 18650 battery(s) on Amazon that you like? There are a ton of them. Hard to tell which are good ones.

Do you guys have a link to a 18650 battery(s) on Amazon that you like? There are a ton of them. Hard to tell which are good ones.
Panasonic if you can find them, I don't see them on Amazon anymore. Samsung are supposed to be really good also but there's a lot of knock-offs of both of those on Amazon so gotta be careful. I've just been using Fenix batteries lately, they work PDG.

disquek

FNG
If you're going on a week long trip in mid season, are you guys bringing enough 18650s to last the trip, or are you recharging them from a power bank?

I had planned to bring a AAA powered BD Spot and 20 AAA lithium batteries. But Ive seen those BD headlamps really draw down a set of AAAs quickly. So now I'm thinking of switching.

If you're going on a week long trip in mid season, are you guys bringing enough 18650s to last the trip, or are you recharging them from a power bank?
With this kind of runtime on the HM65R’s low floodlight, which is used most of the time, I haven’t even had to use my spare battery yet:

1690915927168.png

The output and efficiency of these little things is insane.

I had planned to bring a AAA powered BD Spot and 20 AAA lithium batteries. But Ive seen those BD headlamps really draw down a set of AAAs quickly. So now I'm thinking of switching.
I probably wouldn't unless I planned on a lot of night movement. I DO carry a lightweight Black Diamond Storm 400 to get me back to the truck in case of a headlamp failure of some sort, so that's my backup plan. The Fenix uses the same charge cord as my phone so if I have anything to charge the phone I can always charge the headlamp with it as well.

disquek

FNG
Thanks! This is a backcountry trip. No power. So I dont have the luxury of a recharge unless I bring a power bank. Hence the initial lean towards AAA.

Thanks! This is a backcountry trip. No power. So I dont have the luxury of a recharge unless I bring a power bank. Hence the initial lean towards AAA.
If you're gonna bring spare AAA's then you may as well bring a spare 18650. The whole battery and headlamp will be more efficient and power for power I bet mathematically you end up carrying less weight with the 18650's.

I probably wouldn't unless I planned on a lot of night movement. I DO carry a lightweight Black Diamond Storm 400 to get me back to the truck in case of a headlamp failure of some sort, so that's my backup plan. The Fenix uses the same charge cord as my phone so if I have anything to charge the phone I can always charge the headlamp with it as well.
I forgot to mention that I use rechargeable Eneloop batteries in the backup headlamp, they seem to work well when I've used it in the past (left my Fenix in the truck). I'm a tightwad with batteries for some reason so always hated having some half-used alkaline batteries, I'd wear myself out deciding to replace them or not lol. With the rechargeable I don't have that problem, charge fresh and go.
Ditto for me.

I bring a spare 18650 but very rarely use it on the average 3-7 day hunts. At the house I can use the HM65R for at least 8+hrs with both lamps on high without running a full battery down. However, I also use a small Fenix CL09 lantern in the tent that cuts down on the need to run the headlamp. Although battery type is a major factor—with lithium being more capable than alkaline, ultimately run times are dependent on the user. I think the beauty of the HM65R is the versatility of having a spot and flood light which enables less drain on the battery when you can select the right light and lumens for the job.
Man having the flood option is really really nice, didn't even understand until I had it as an option. My old Fenix light only had the spot and it was great all the time, but the new one with the flood option I end up using flood 90% of the time. Fair warning though, I dunno what the stats say but high power flood seems to be as much drain on the battery as high power spot. I've only ever used high power flood when trailing blood in silly conditions though.

Holocene

WKR
Used Fenix for a long time and loved the ruggedness and power.

Mine died after 10 years of service, and I just found the Nitecore NU25. Revelation. It's super light, clean, and has the most intuitive lock sequence I've found.

If I was still doing a lot of blood tracking many times a season (like I used to when whitetail hunting), it would be nice to have more lumens like the Fenix provided.

But now that I'm in the West, I'll trade grams for lumens when I can get it.

JNDEER

WKR
Yes and no it seams. Basically they did some upgrades and a bigger battery in the peax. But they’re pretty much identical otherwise. Whether it’s worth 3x the price is up to the buyer. I’m not convinced it is
Mindful Hunter (mindful reviews) did a review on this exact topic. It is worth a listen on youtube.

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
Mindful Hunter (mindful reviews) did a review on this exact topic. It is worth a listen on youtube.
I saw that. Really good review. Made some fairly decent arguments for the peax, but also didn’t completely compare apples to apples where the peax has an upgraded battery which you can purchase for the Sofirn for fairly cheap. The peax does edge it out in general but I’m not convinced that it’s 3x better

dtrkyman

WKR
I have good luck with Samsung batteries, I think they had the highest mah when I bought them. But honestly I have bought some generic tent lights and fans that came with batteries and they all work well.