Best solo hot tent?

So, a recent post about the Silex got me thinking... what is the best solo hot tent?

Criteria in order:
- Less than 2 lbs for the canopy
- Handles Snow well (needs a peak vent IMO for snow, and probably a tipi or steep walls at least)
- Easy to pitch (I think a single pole, 4 sided is the easiest... like a BPWD Pyratent?
- Minimal Sag and Stretch

What ya Say!?

sneaky

"DADDY"
To meet all that criteria you would be looking at a DCF shelter with a stove jack. All the other material options stretch or sag. DCF would be well under 2lbs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
A
There are a few tents out there under 2lbs made with SilPoly that won't sag or stretch like SilNylon. I'd be more into the DCF if it didn't have such a low melting point. Not really wanting to dive into deep backcountry, in the winter with one just yet.

I'll probably have to do a custom tent with the SilPoly but I was hoping someone here would already know of one.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Silpoly is more susceptible to UV light. The silpoly doesn't stretch as much as silnylon, but it still stretches a little.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
We hav etested SilPoly and frankly not impressed. A lot more hype than benefit. Suitable for smaller backpacking tents without a stove IMO but not for larger tents with a stove. We made a sample for a group on Kodiak to test, and they were not fans. It still does stretch some , just without the strength.

OP
A
We hav etested SilPoly and frankly not impressed. A lot more hype than benefit. Suitable for smaller backpacking tents without a stove IMO but not for larger tents with a stove. We made a sample for a group on Kodiak to test, and they were not fans. It still does stretch some , just without the strength.
Hey Kevin, curious what the coatings were on that test fabric. Dupont rates the tensile strength of polyester and nylon to be pretty equal, recently Poly fabrics made with a PeU (PolyEther) appear to be much stronger.

I've been testing a shelter with 20D 420 thread-count Sil/PeU and have been extremely impressed with it.

I agree Nylon is the stronger fabric but I like the benefits of Polyester. I just picked up one of your tents to do some comparison testing with the one I'm using now.

Last edited:
OP
A
Silpoly is more susceptible to UV light. The silpoly doesn't stretch as much as silnylon, but it still stretches a little.

That's actually not accurate. SilPoly is more UV resistant than SilNylon

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
SilPoly is a silicone coated polyester. It still stretches, looses a fair amount of durability, barely weighs less. IMO opinion, SilPoly has a good publicist .. and its main advantage is cost. It is fine for smaller shelters, not suitable for larger hot tents IMO (larger spark holes) .
UV is best handled by color. I live at a high UV environment (7500 Ft) . I've done extensive tests with different colors. The difference is significant. Muted colors fair far better, and I'd venture to say is mostly a non issue. Bright colors can degrade in just a few weeks where a brown or green can last years.
In the end, Nylon is stronger the Poly, Nylon. 6.6 is stronger yet, Silicone coatings add strength . For the record, we built an 8, 2 red cliffs, and Eolus Prototype with SilPoly. We tested from Kodiak to middle Fork of the Salmon to the high mountains . No one preferred the SilPoly.

OP
A
SilPoly is a silicone coated polyester. It still stretches, looses a fair amount of durability, barely weighs less. IMO opinion, SilPoly has a good publicist .. and its main advantage is cost. It is fine for smaller shelters, not suitable for larger hot tents IMO (larger spark holes) .
UV is best handled by color. I live at a high UV environment (7500 Ft) . I've done extensive tests with different colors. The difference is significant. Muted colors fair far better, and I'd venture to say is mostly a non issue. Bright colors can degrade in just a few weeks where a brown or green can last years.
In the end, Nylon is stronger the Poly, Nylon. 6.6 is stronger yet, Silicone coatings add strength . For the record, we built an 8, 2 red cliffs, and Eolus Prototype with SilPoly. We tested from Kodiak to middle Fork of the Salmon to the high mountains . No one preferred the SilPoly.

I just bought a Silex to do comparison testing.