Best state to kill a BIG whitetail - GO!

North Missouri and Texas get my vote as places of personal experience. Going to Kansas next year and saving points for Iowa so I can’t say anything on those from personal experiences

74hntr

FNG
Myvexperience would suggest there a are lots of states with big bucks but what exact areas matters more. There are places in Iowa I can see monsters every year and drive few miles see nothing but dinks from all the pressure or lack of cover to hide big ones. A farm we hunt in Nebraska one side of road exact same cover etc as the other side we hunt gets bunch pressure makes huge difference because of what the neighbors shoot vs the other surrounded by non hunters or very trophy only hunters. Genetics and food to grow big bucks are there in lots of area but localized variables affect age class way more.

Native Iowan here so biased, but I'd go with the Hawkeye State if you're going outfitted. No gun hunting during the rut. Long bow season 10/1-first weekend of Dec. and then Monday following 3rd weekend in Dec. through 1/10.

Public ground is scarce and gets hammered during gun seasons in Iowa.

49ereric

WKR
This is my first post to RokSlide! - I have read several forums on this site and have a good friend that refers to it all the time. With that said, I have hunted several states chasing all sorts of game - but as time goes on, I feel like the best state to kill a big whitetail can change from year to year due to over-hunting, disease, etc. Now, what is your opinion on the BEST state to kill a BIG whitetail and why? Thanks!!!
Alberta 😂

Jumpman

FNG
As many have identified, there are numerous states with monsters roaming about. From my own experience, I’d have to say that SD and ND have produced some of the largest deer I’ve seen. I’d imagine this a result of the game fish and parks being protective of the deer population along with a smaller state population. A friend of mine in ND won’t shoot anything that’s less than a 5x5 and not as wide as its ears as a result of how big the average body and rack is.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Old Mexico hands down for me. It’s like stepping back into deep south Texas brush country 50-60 years ago before most of it got fenced and it turned into a xxxx measuring. contest.

I would also say Easten Colorado and Alberta hold lots of giants without near the pressure of the Midwest states.

OMB

WKR
Looking at the points table for Iowa every year, it blows my mind that there's guys with 5-8 points drawing tags. At $50/point plus cost of license, plus presumably travel cost, most guys are better off leasing/buying land in most states they're coming from unless they have access to large tracts of private or own land in Iowa. So many guys watch all the influencers on Youtube or hunting shows thinking that they're going to have that experience in Iowa, not realizing those people are hunting highly manicured and managed tracts of land that see little to no pressure. They're selling a dream that really doesn't actually exist for the average hunter.

Controversial opinion: but if a big buck for you is a 140-150", chances are you can do it in your home state for much cheaper today than you can buying points and traveling to Iowa/Kansas. If you're looking for bigger, go to Canada, unless you have exclusive access to more than 500 acres of private land that's in a managed area. Blows my mind to see guys spend a few thousand dollars in scouting trips, fuel, lodging, etc, or on outfitters in Kansas/Iowa/elsewhere when they could wait a year, save, and go to another state/Canada with far less pressure and a higher success rate.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at the points table for Iowa every year, it blows my mind that there's guys with 5-8 points drawing tags. At $50/point plus cost of license, plus presumably travel cost, most guys are better off leasing/buying land in most states they're coming from unless they have access to large tracts of private or own land in Iowa. So many guys watch all the influencers on Youtube or hunting shows thinking that they're going to have that experience in Iowa, not realizing those people are hunting highly manicured and managed tracts of land that see little to no pressure. They're selling a dream that really doesn't actually exist for the average hunter.

Controversial opinion: but if a big buck for you is a 140-150", chances are you can do it in your home state for much cheaper today than you can buying points and traveling to Iowa/Kansas. If you're looking for bigger, go to Canada, unless you have exclusive access to more than 500 acres of private land that's in a managed area. Blows my mind to see guys spend a few thousand dollars in scouting trips, fuel, lodging, etc, or on outfitters in Kansas/Iowa/elsewhere when they could wait a year, save, and go to another state/Canada with far less pressure and a higher success rate.

So basically ballpark $1000 in cost for points/license? Doesn't seem that out of sorts. People line up to pay a little less for a 2 YO mule deer in MT every year. I'm not real up to date on the lease market but from what I've seen, $1000 aint getting you much. My property taxes for 40 acres in MN are damn near $1k. In reality for most people applying there, it's probably just one part of a bigger picture that might include property ownership or lease in their own state and applying elsewhere.