Best state to kill a BIG whitetail - GO!

KHNC

WKR
Florida has the biggest whitetail in the country. Rut is in July, October, November , December, January and February.

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder what would happen if all out of state hunters pooled all their money that they spend to try and improve their own state, what would be the result?

CWayne121

Lil-Rokslider
South Texas is home to many monsters but I've always been a little jealous of corn-fed deer states. Big bodied, thick-necked whitetails are the stuff of dreams.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Florida has the biggest whitetail in the country. Rut is in July, October, November , December, January and February.
No lie, the rut is often in the hottest part of the year.
And I think their state record is 200"+, a bowkill if I'm not mistaken.

KHNC

WKR
No lie, the rut is often in the hottest part of the year.
And I think their state record is 200"+, a bowkill if I'm not mistaken.
Yep, that state is wayyy longer than my pecker, rut happens at all sorts of different times in that state. No way id hunt that S Fl rut in July tho. They can have it, 200 inchers and all. :)

Last edited:

FLATHEAD

WKR
Yep, that state is wayyy longer than my pecker, rut happens and all sorts of different times in that state. No way id hunt that S Fl rut in July tho. They can have it, 200 inchers and all. :)
I tried a September bowhunt down there in the central part of the state once. ONCE.

I know there are lots of great areas but I am partial to Wisconsin. I grew up there and took a 170” buck at 12 years old.

Boydo90

FNG
Im from Illinois, so I am definitely biased. I have seen big deer in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri, but not the numbers of big deer like I see here at home in Illinois

pk_

WKR
I tried a September bowhunt down there in the central part of the state once. ONCE.
Oh, central in Sept isn’t that bad. Were you on public?

Now down south where I’m at, in July and Aug, that will make a boy out of a man…

Im from Illinois, so I am definitely biased. I have seen big deer in Tennessee, Kentucky, and Missouri, but not the numbers of big deer like I see here at home in Illinois

I was thinking of trying IL this year. 🤔

South Texas if you don't mind paying. They have some native, low fence giants and if you don't mind high fences the sky is the limit. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea though. East Texas produces some really big deer these days but has some issues of it's own...with that said if you can lease the right property in East Texas, specifically bottomland the potential is there. You just generally won't see a lot of deer every time out. You may not even see a deer every time out. But the big boys are there.

Stevek

WKR
South Texas if you don't mind paying. They have some native, low fence giants and if you don't mind high fences the sky is the limit. I know that's not everyone's cup of tea though. East Texas produces some really big deer these days but has some issues of it's own...with that said if you can lease the right property in East Texas, specifically bottomland the potential is there. You just generally won't see a lot of deer every time out. You may not even see a deer every time out. But the big boys are there.
Don't overlook the Panhandle region of West Texas. There are some good size ranches with some really great genetics. Low deer numbers, so when you get the right rains at the right time can produce some really big deer. I know of one low fence ranch in South Texas that has killed well over 20 net B&C bucks in the last 18 to 20 yrs. Many big deer killed are never entered in B&C or even talked about much for many reasons. I also think the new state record net typical B&C whitetail was killed this past season in South Texas.
That being said, just about any region in Texas can produce really big deer nowadays with management in place. All it takes is above average rainfall in the right months for any region in Texas to produce really great deer.

Rmuncey

FNG
Depends on what ground in each state you can hunt and how well you know the public in that state

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jkean949

FNG
I think there is a rolling list of top B&C states. Granted, a lot of folks with deer that would make it in don't get submitted, but would still give a good idea. Oh yeah...Missouri or Kansas would be my vote.