Best trekking pole 1 to 2 person tent ?

tthrasher

FNG
Id like to lighten up my hike during backpacking hunting trips currently I have a freestanding tent. Ive use trekking pole tents in the past and really liked them. Any good suggestions ?

renagde

WKR
Not sure about the best, but maybe the best for the money. Check out Luxe Hiking Gear. Light, easy to setup, and not much money to get you into the tipi/floorless game.

Go on the backpackinglight gear swap and check out the shelters for sale. Many of the ones we use come up on there and you may get some good ideas from looking at what people use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I looked at this last year. Some great options. A few thoughts to share:

- DCF is great but half the weight for 3x cost of synilon.
- I looked at some that could be used with and without an internal nest but that eats up a good portion of your weight savings
- if you don’t need bug protection, a tarp is a great option
- even if you need bug protection, a tarp is worth a look because you can run a nest under the tarp and have a bug free sleeping area as well as further dry space for gear and no sleeping activity

i picked up a seek outside DST tarp that I like a lot. It is a papal event for one and I have slept 3 under it comfortably. It is cheap and Very basic but it gives you lots of pitching options With a little practice and creativity. Have used it from sub freezing snow camping to hiking the Grand Canyon in the past year. very happy with it.

I also picked up a used zpaks triplex. It is great and crazy light. 2# with stakes and cordage. It could sleep three in theory but is probably better for 2+ gear. I got a good price on it but I don’t see ever using it enough to make me think it would be worth the full retail price. To be clear, it is a great piece of gear. However, I only really like an enclosed tent when I have to deal with bugs, which means I only use it for a subset of my trips. So for my use, I just can’t see paying $700 for it. If I used it for all my trips or got into long haul hiking I would probably think differently about it.

Lando

WKR
There are a lot of good options, one option is to check out reviews on youtube on the 3F UL Lanshan 2 that can be bought on aliexpress for around $100.

P Y Buck

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Dan Durston X MID. It is available thru Drop (formerly MassDrop).
Extremely lite wieght, vented, durable, extremely packable.
I have the one man version and use it on back county pack hunts for elk in CO and ID. It is available in a 2 man as well.
It has a bath tub style floor which is great because it restricts my ground pad from moving so my sleep bag does not slide off the pad during the night.
Fast EZ setup.
Uses trekking poles, but the design allows the poles to remain outside the sleep area.
Has 2 entry / exit points both of which incorporate a large vestibule for storing gear.
Used it on rainy nights. nothing got wet.
Used it in colder nights without any condensation.
It also has a storage pocket along the top great for storing head lamp, cell phone etc.
I am 6 foot 1, 220 pounds and found this shelter to be roomy when in my Kifaru slick bag.
$200

fwafwow

WKR
Check out Tarptent. They make a bunch of shelters that you may like.
+1 on Tarptent. I've got the Stratospire Li which was a very good size for me and my gear. It wasn't the easiest to set up, but I'm a klutz. Here's a link the the setup video -
. Been debating whether it is worth keeping at the price I paid at my low level of use but will probably hold onto it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
T

tthrasher

FNG
I appreciate all the replies! I have some more research to do all great ideas!

OP
T

tthrasher

FNG
There are a lot of good options, one option is to check out reviews on youtube on the 3F UL Lanshan 2 that can be bought on aliexpress for around $100.

Do you own this one ? if so how does it perform?

I like the price point on it

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run a Tarptent Aeon Li during the summer/shoulder seasons- has a full bathtub floor, a decent sized vestibule and can be fulyl enclosed. I've run it in some sketchy weather and thus far very impressed.

It's not cheap, but a full on tent at under 16 oz isn't too shabby :D

learl

Lil-Rokslider
Do you own this one ? if so how does it perform?

I like the price point on it

I picked one up last year and used it a few times in fair weather. I’m really happy with it so far, sets up pretty easy and I’ve had no problems. You have to seam seal a couple of points yourself and I’d change out the cordage but for the price it’s a bargain. Not the most lightweight but the design seems well thought out and the stitching is well done and clean. There was some discussion surrounding the quality of the silnylon used but I believe they changed to a stronger fabric relatively recently.

The biggest difference between it and something from SO or an equivalent company is going to be customer service.

I run a Tarptent Aeon Li during the summer/shoulder seasons- has a full bathtub floor, a decent sized vestibule and can be fulyl enclosed. I've run it in some sketchy weather and thus far very impressed.

It's not cheap, but a full on tent at under 16 oz isn't too shabby :D

When you say sketchy weather, can you describe? I’ve been seriously considering this tent and I’m interested in how it performs in really heavy winds and rain. Any experience under these conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk