Best twist for 25-06 Tikka build

Bluefish

WKR
Going to build a 25-06 on a Tikka action. Trying to decide on a twist rate. Options are 7, 7.5, 10. not going to go to another cartridge, just not sure on what twist.
Would like to be able to use factory ammo in the 80g range for varmit and reload 120+. Not sure on length, but no more than 22” as it will be getting a can.

Article 4

WKR
Need to decide what bullet types within the 80 and 120 grain range due to CG and length with factory offers. Brass and Lead act differently so that is first. Brass usually likes tighter twists.

Shorter bbls are fine in that caliber and a slightly tighter twist is recommended. 7 might be a bit much; there is a balance between spinning the bullet too much and achieving max velocity with any given load. I tend to recommend a 7.5 in this case and encourage you to check a stability calculator something like the Berger Bullet Stabilizer to help you check stability, spin rates at velocities and distances.

JBM makes a good one https://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

Last edited:

JFK

WKR
There are barrel makers who will do them in 1:8 or 1:9 as well if you want a different twist. The 1:7.5 lets you shoot the 134 eldm’s. There aren’t many other bullets that require that kind of twist though.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
On my fast-twist 25-06 Tikka, I went with a 7.5 twist. However, with 25-06 you want the length so you can actually get the velocity advantages of the cartridge. 24" is my minimum for 25-06 builds. 22" will be fine. My Sako 85 25-06 had a 22" and I lost a bit of velocity, but it wasn't bad.

With the 7.5, I was able to overspin a 75gr V-max, but I could never push an 85gr BTV apart. The V-Maxes were probably 30 years old as well, so YMMV.

I also used 120+ bullets in mine with great success.