Best wheel gun setup for griz protection?

McCree

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is a controversial subject with many opinions but, for this discussion, lets say I'm settled on a wheel gun. What are everyone's opinions of best setup in regards to double or single action and barrel length? Is .44 the best option for a magnum handgun for this application? This gun will be carried in AK during an upcoming archery moose hunt and the NW US, probably in a Razco setup under my bino harness.

robtattoo

WKR
I favor a stainless, 4.75" Super Blackhawk in .44.
It's heavy, but I know I can shoot hardcast 310 grainers comfortably. Recoil is pretty significant, but not at all intolerable.
I find it no slower to shoot accurately than a double action. Carried in an Alaris Kodiak chest rig, it's really not that noticeable & my thumb automatically goes to the hammer when i come to draw it.

FLAK

WKR
I dont have one, but a short barreled Ruger RH in .480 would be my choice.
I have a 7.5" RH in .44 mag but I think its too long for quick deployment.

I can't in good conscience say it's the best for everyone, but it works for me. I rock a SuperRedhawk .44 mag with 7.5" barrel. It's heavy but will eat pretty much any cartridge you put in it and shoots like a lazer. I have both a mamba chest rig and a custom leather side holster for it, depending on what I'm doing. I can deploy it out of the side holster and acquire a target fast enough to be comfortable, but I've also been carrying the pistol and practicing the movements for literal years. Deploying from the chest rig is slower although it's a more comfortable carry. Whatever you decide to do, practice. Develop the muscle memory. No matter what wheel gun you go with it won't make a difference if you can't draw it instinctually.

280ack

FNG
I like the 45 Colt Ruger Redhawk 4.2" bbl, with Buffalo Bore 325gr flat point. The holster you choose is important 1 its got to be comfortable, 2 functionally accessible and 3 on your person at all times. What ever method it should be on your person when you shed your pack ...bino pouch and it should be secure so when you draw it all you are pulling is the pistol and not other gear!

Broomd

WKR
Titanium Taurus in .44 mag....41, etc.
Forego the weight of a long barreled stainless (or blued) revolver on your hip or harness. I can speak from experience. I did if for a decade in Alaska and honestly, it was stupidity.

Last edited:

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
Smith and Wesson 329pd in 44 mag is light enough you will have it with you at all times. Others get really heavy and get left. You will need hardcast ammo with a good crimp on the bullet or the rounds in the cylinder can actually have the bullets "jump" out of the brass and jam the cylinder from turning after firing another round because the gun is so light. shoot 5 rounds and then measure the last one for "jump" and see what I mean. I'm shooting 255gr and 260gr hardcasts out of mine and that's as heavy as i'm comfortable with

B23

WKR
The S&W Model 69 44mag with 2.75 barrel would probably make for a good option.

Unless you're a really good pistol shooter or you practice with them a lot which I don't know is very realistic any of the big hand cannons, IMO, just aren't good options. I have a 4in S&W 500 and it's a real hoot to shoot but they're a big friggen gun and they have a significant amount of recoil so if you don't make it count on your first shot getting back on target seems like it takes me much longer than it does with my 44.

hflier

WKR
Lets here from someone that had a DL shooting and what they think. I'm sure after you crap your pants once you probably are very in tune with what would be a good carry.

B23

WKR
I reckon most folks would be much more effective with a Glock 20 than a 44 magnum revolver.
I'm not really a Glock guy but I'd have to agree with you and if someone just hates the trigger in a Glock which seems to be one of the big bitches with them, I know it is for me, putting a different trigger in them is very easy and makes a world of difference. A G20 10mm with the right ammo offers a lot of firepower in a gun that is very manageable to shoot.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
I’m a revolver fan and have owned quite a few and carried most all in the field. In my opinion any of the large calibers would work and none will seem big enough! haha My favorite is a 45 colt using a 335 grain HC big meplate bullet over a stout load of W296 Carried in a 4.75” Blackhawk. It is easier for me to shoot than my 454 casual and in a lighter platform. I like using the guides choice holster. Another thing I’ve noticed when chronographing some of my rounds is how much velocity I lost in my shorter revolvers. Especially with my ruger Alaskan 454. Lots of muzzle blast and slow bullet. I prefer the 4.75 to 5.5” barrels for their decent velocity, easier to carry and lighter than the 6-7.5” barrels. All that being said, I’ve never wished I had one of my revolvers over my rifle when I have been around brown bears or grizzlies!

chinook907

Lil-Rokslider
From the pic in your avatar, will you be hunting with a recurve and a shooting glove ? If so, whatever you get make sure it has a decent-sized trigger guard so that you can easily get your trigger finger in place with the glove on.

I've got a small collection of handguns for this kindof thing.

For a revolver, I don't think its critical that it be double action, unless you're one of the few that is well-trained in DA shooting. For semi-auto's though, I much prefer DA/SA ones.

If you haven't shot much, I would go with a 44mag. And I would go with a S & W 69 over the 329 for the extra weight and durability. And I prefer a barrel longer than 2 1/2 inches, except for the backup-to-my-backup Bond Arms derringer. Just my 2-cents.

My wheel gun is a S&W 329 pd for grizz country. I have three pistols in 10mm but have came to carry the 44mag. In my experience carrying on my pack belt the auto loaders get all kinds of dirty. Not comfortable with them cycling when the time comes. Just my experience.