Better option than REI Half Dome 2?

So I've been looking at tents for a while now and am about to pull the trigger on the REI Half Dome 2. Before I do, I just wanted to check in with you guys and see if there are any other better options I should consider before purchasing this tent. I would love to stay under $250. Let me know what you guys think.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Under 250.00 is tough, you might try used. I personally like MSR, Stone Glacier and Hilleberg but finding one in your price range might be tough.

I haven't tried many tents, but I really like my half dome 2 plus. I'm not packing it several miles in though. Enough room for me, my wife, and the dog for one or two nights and is the perfect amount of space for one guy and gear for longer trips. I did three 9-10 day elk hunts out of mine and several other shorter trips. Quick and easy to setup and I like the 2 doors/vestibules.

What's this option? I already have a ready have a full tent but curious about trekking pole tent to save some weight

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

3F UL Lanshan 2 from AliExpress for ~$95. It is a slightly heavier knockoff of the $600 Zpacks Duplex. Get some carbon fiber Cascade trekking poles from Amazon for under $40 and your set. It has two large (large in the sense of backpacking tents) vestibules so there is room to store your pack and gear out of the elements.

I do not have trekking poles, so I would rather have a tent without using them.

Trekking poles (good ones) can be had for under $50 from Amazon (Cascade brand) or discount sites like Sierra. The good part about a trekking pole tent is that it forces you to bring trekking poles which some say take up to 20% of the force off your legs.

OP
Salami_Slinger
Trekking poles (good ones) can be had for under $50 from Amazon (Cascade brand) or discount sites like Sierra. The good part about a trekking pole tent is that it forces you to bring trekking poles which some say take up to 20% of the force off your legs.

Thanks. I wasn't aware you could get a good pair of trekking poles for $50. I'll start to look into trekking poles and trekking pole tents now.

dog812

WKR
I posted this yesterday in another thread, but I have been using the six moons lunar solo trekking pole tent. Roughly $200 and 26 oz.
Backpacker have it 2019 editor choice award if you want a good review.
It's held up to some really heavy wind. It's single wall so need to be prepared for that. But overall pretty happy.
b21ae66d915d2ee15a9c98199e0d9380.jpg

huntineveryday

Lil-Rokslider
The half dome 2+ is hard to beat in regards to space to weight ratio for the price. It is heavier and packs larger than more "backpacking" tents though. If you're not in a hurry it's worth watching ebay for a good deal to save some money. If you're patient $250 can get you a pretty nice tent. I got a NWT Big Agnes Manzanares 2 for $177 a couple months ago. I saw some pretty good deals on MSR Hubba Hubbas and Big Agnes Fly Creek HVUL2s.