Help me pick a tent

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Durston X-Mid 1… double wall(snap in nest), sil poly(won’t sag when wet), double door vestibule, $240 and 28 oz. Couldn’t be happier used both during deer and elk season and left my Sawtooth w/stove at home

4cc31492e163160b3ee479e1f8e8490b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rclouse79

WKR
Durston X-Mid 1… double wall(snap in nest), sil poly(won’t sag when wet), double door vestibule, $240 and 28 oz. Couldn’t be happier used both during deer and elk season and left my Sawtooth w/stove at home

I got mine after the season, but am excited to try it out. My old ultralight setup was a 7x9 tarp and a bivy. I always thought it was pretty sweet until I got blown off the mountain in the middle of the night. After making the walk of shame down the ridge to my truck and then waking up an hour early to hike back up I vowed to get something better.
I think this whole setup is only about 8 oz heavier than my old tarp/bivy setup. Having the netting off your face and having a place to check for ticks in the spring is well worth the extra 8 oz, not to mention the better protection from the elements.

mod7rem

FNG
I have the mid-x 1 and the cimmaron. I think the Durston will be perfect for solo trips. When going with two, take the cimmaron and split it up.
The mid-x 1 would be the ticket for going light and moving camps. It seems like the fastest shelter to pitch I have seen. In a pinch you could have it up and be sheltered in a couple minutes.
I have an X-Mid 1 solid and a Hilleberg Akto. I like both tents for slightly different reasons. I used the X-Mid on a sheep hunt in august and really liked it, but I find it takes longer to set up than my Akto. But that’s not just the minimum setup of 6 stakes. My X-Mid 1 definitely does not appear to be as bad weather capable as the Akto, but I didn’t buy it expecting it to be. Camped up high sheep hunting there was lots of exposure to wind so I wanted to use maximum staking and that takes some time to get it right. The Akto on the other hand, sets up fast with max stakes and is very solid.
I used my Akto in mid October goat hunting and it is fast to set up and solid. But heavier.

OP
FuddRucker
If you will only have your dog with you when you are truck camping, then dog can go in a crate in the truck at night and you won’t have to worry about her nosing up a floorless tent while you’re sleeping. Then your options open up much more.
Excellent point about keeping her in her crate!

OP
FuddRucker
I'm definitely looking harder at the durstons and may consider a 1p for solo trips in good weather, but the Argali is still intriguing to me. Anyone else have experience with the argali vs. Seek tipis or durston?

eamyrick

WKR
Cimmaron would be perfect for you. Buddy and I have used it all over now. Downside as mentioned is the floor space but it has been in some serious wind and hail and came out great. I have the carbon pole so I can leave it up and use my poles during the day.

Beendare

WKR
This thread was helpful

I was looking to replace my 20+ yr old Tarp tent Cloudburst- 2#4 oz. It was never the best in heavy weather as it was long and unsupported in the middle.

I looked at Tarptent, Durston, SO, Mountain Laurel designs, and a few others. Being a tall guy, I’ve found the footprint doesn’t tell the whole story. The long sloping walls create more footprint- sure…but that doesn’t translate to useable space for a tall guy.

Plus, condensation is a thing. Long walls that aren’t under tension will flop around and rain condensation on you. Plus, its too easy to contact those long low sloping walls.

The steeper walls of the tents like the Durston or SO Eolus is what I’m looking for. I can Cut poles and be at a little over a pound with the Eolus- thats nothing. I like the idea of no zippers- a plus.

I was going to sew up another custom tent..but for right around $200- not worth it.

Lots of good options- less if you are 6’3”” or taller…..
Thanks to the guys chiming in on this…..I’m going to try the Eolus.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I was in your boat a couple weeks ago and was about to buy a silex or eolus when I came across the Durston mid-x 1. I now own one. I am 6’3 and am happy with the fit, although you won’t have a lot of extra length. The silpoly fabric that doesn’t sag when wet is what sold it for me.

cac10808e2210891edb8260af352ff9e.jpg

I’m 6’1 and totally agree. Although may be short on length for 6’3, there’s at least an additional 12” at head and foot between nest and outer wall, so condensation isn’t jacking your stuff up. Double vestibule/doors is nice, lots of storage. Couldn’t have been happier with my decision, especially considering the price point ($250)!

Mudd Foot

WKR

2nd. Have used both
the Xmid 1p and 2p. Both are great tents. Super easy set-up and lightweight. Very stable. Roomy interior in the 2p. Lots of videos available going over the excellent workmanship, quality, and details.

Southfork

FNG
IMG_0081.jpegI switched to the SO Guardian for solo hunts a couple of years ago. I’m 6’3” and it’s plenty of room for me and my gear. I use it with the nest. Used it in heavy rains and never had any issues. The zipperless entry took a little getting used to, and it’s essential that you stake it out super tight, but now that I’m used to it, I really like it.