Help me pick a tent

I'm looking to get a tent that is light enough to not be a burden when backpacking (like sub 3#), can possibly be used with a stove (although this is negotiable), and is roomy enough for a guy my size (6'4" 230) and gear if I get rained in. I also intend to use it truck camping with my dog on upland trips, etc. I'm considering floorless, but I will likely get a bivy or a nest.

So far, I've narrowed down to:

Argali Rincon + bivy, 1/2 nest, or full nest - bivy or 1/2 nest seems the most versatile, but full nest might be better when the dog is along.
SO Silex + bivy or nest - the nest concerns me due to my size & wanting to bring the dog on some trips.
SO guardian - Would likely use with a bivy or try to find another nest option because the guardian nest seems to push the total weight more than I'd like.
TarpTent Stratospire 2 - seems like a full package. No bivy needed, but lacks the option for a stove for later seasons.

I'm sick of overthinking tents and want to focus on more important things, so I'm hoping to pull the trigger on some black friday discounts.

OP
FuddRucker
The only tent from your list I have experience with is the Silex with nest. I'm 6' and 195lbs. Unless your dog is a chihuahua, the Silex won't work for you.
Haha its hard to tell from just the dimensions. Figured it would be tight but she likes to cuddle so thought we might be able to make it work. Thanks!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Given you’re looking at trek pole supported, I’d suggest reviewing the X-mid line of tents as well. Similar to the stratospire you list, and they do not accept a stove. But good for backpacking and light, also budget friendly.

If a hot tent, I’d probably be looking at the pyramid style (cinnamon, red cliff etc). The argali mids look like you could run with a nest or floorless, and have a stove jack, so that appears to meet your criteria the best.

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Rincon with my wife and often with our 2 dogs (80# and 25#). Used the nest until bugs were gone then added the stove. It's been great and I have no regrets. Heavy rain and wind with no issues.

Sorry I have the absaroka, not the rincon. The absaroka is a palace for us. When car camping we actually put full size dog beds in the tent along with each of our pads and still have room for bags/crap. I havent used the half nest we purchased as the condensation has only been an issue when first waking up but rolling over and starting a fire dries it all out within 20 minutes.

Last edited:

rclouse79

WKR
I was in your boat a couple weeks ago and was about to buy a silex or eolus when I came across the Durston mid-x 1. I now own one. I am 6’3 and am happy with the fit, although you won’t have a lot of extra length. The silpoly fabric that doesn’t sag when wet is what sold it for me.

dapesche

WKR
Yup. Cimarron will give you the space.

I've gone down the tent rabbithole.

I have a mtn hardware for early season sheep. A Redcliff with stove for late season elk or mulie.

I need a burly tent for late season goat and possibly later season solo missions.

I am a big fan of the cimarron bit I think I'll be selling it to buy a hille for my late season and I'll make due with the mtn hardwear for early season elk.

If I had a dog with me I'd go floor less with a half nest and liners. Bring something small for you dog to lay on and then you have a floor.

I wouldn't want to deal with a dog in a floor shelter. Too many ways the dog will rip and tear up the tent. Too expensive.

I have a durston xmid solid 2p that I used on a goat Hunt. I like the tent and will keep for early season solo missions. Felt like it's a bit too light duty for a late season storm.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

OP
FuddRucker
I've been using a Rincon with my wife and often with our 2 dogs (80# and 25#). Used the nest until bugs were gone then added the stove. It's been great and I have no regrets. Heavy rain and wind with no issues.
This is great to know. Knowing that you made it work with your wife + dogs makes it an easier pitch (pun intended) to the gf too.

Didn't realize it was that roomy.

OP
FuddRucker
Totally forgot about the durston's. They seem to have an edge on the silex as far as material. Also, might have to take a closer look at the cimarron. Aside from the Rincon, which may offer some versatility, it seems like a lot of folks have a few tents for specific purposes. Only problem is $$.

Cimarron guys, are you typically using to hunt from a Basecamp? Is it too cumbersome to move camp frequently?

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.

Txarcher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
I went through this over a three year period. What I settled on was the SO LBO and also bought the vestible, tarp, and nest. It is pretty versatile for different seasons and situations. That being said I got talked into trying a hammock this year and will not go back to a tent unless I know there are not going to be any trees. The quality of sleep in a properly set up hammock is comparable to being at home in bed. I even used the hammock for three days this year above the treeline. I set the tarp up on my trekking poles and slept on the hammock underneath and it worked out ok. If not for the underquilt on the hammock it may have been a different story.

I'd like to think so, but she's gamey and has a history as an escape artist lol
Mine has a high prey drive as well. We cannot do a floorless tent with her. When we have her in a tent with a floor, we just reinforce the floor with a tarp. But then you lose the lightweight factor.
I own several TarpTents. Your TarpTent floor will likely puncture with her nails.
The SO tents at least have a sod skirt. That will help with nosing, but once she figures it out, she will not be contained if she’s birdy or gamey. I would not put my high drive dog in my SO tent nor in my Kifaru Sawtooth. She’d be out in two seconds if she smelled something.

If you will only have your dog with you when you are truck camping, then dog can go in a crate in the truck at night and you won’t have to worry about her nosing up a floorless tent while you’re sleeping. Then your options open up much more.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
Cimarron guys, are you typically using to hunt from a Basecamp? Is it too cumbersome to move camp frequently?

No, the Cimmaron packs down, is lightweight and it is fast and easy to set up and take down. The only downside I see is the footprint size, if finding flat ground is hard.

I use a Tarptent double rainbow if it’s hard to find flat ground and I’m alone, but; I prefer the Cimmaron if I can find flat ground.

rclouse79

WKR
Totally forgot about the durston's. They seem to have an edge on the silex as far as material. Also, might have to take a closer look at the cimarron. Aside from the Rincon, which may offer some versatility, it seems like a lot of folks have a few tents for specific purposes. Only problem is $$.

Thanks for all the input so far everyone.
I have the mid-x 1 and the cimmaron. I think the Durston will be perfect for solo trips. When going with two, take the cimmaron and split it up.
The mid-x 1 would be the ticket for going light and moving camps. It seems like the fastest shelter to pitch I have seen. In a pinch you could have it up and be sheltered in a couple minutes.