Beware of a scammer

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
Another reminder to not use F&F unless they are FRIENDS OR FAMILY.
I've used F&F with fellow Rokslider's before with great luck, but never for anyone with no reviews or a sketchy looking profile. Most folks here are honest.

Obviously keep the dollar amount low with F&F transactions. It's worth the protection to pay the G&S fee for high dollar items (guns, optics, etc...)

Probably a dumb question but I’m going to ask anyway. Why Pay Pal? I have a Pay Pal account, but haven’t used it in years…most everyone I transact with is using Venmo or Zelle. Granted I haven’t bought or sold anything on this forum or others in quite a while.
School me

fwafwow

WKR
Not true. Shipping with tracking eliminates this. Sharing the tracking number through PayPal is the way.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, true. EDITED - it hasn't happened to me. But I've seen others post in another group to which I belong, including pictures and copies of IM exchanges. As a result of scams by both sellers and buyers, they sellers often video boxing up the items to be sold, and buyers video unboxing, to prove if something is off. I believe it enough that it got my attention.

Last edited:

ILIKEBEARS

Lil-Rokslider
Probably a dumb question but I’m going to ask anyway. Why Pay Pal? I have a Pay Pal account, but haven’t used it in years…most everyone I transact with is using Venmo or Zelle. Granted I haven’t bought or sold anything on this forum or others in quite a while.
School me
Paypal has a goods and services option which requires the seller to input tracking information before funds are released. It comes with a small fee ~3%, but is a method of protecting the buyer.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately, true. EDITED - it hasn't happened to me. But I've seen others post in another group to which I belong, including pictures and copies of IM exchanges. As a result of scams by both sellers and buyers, they sellers often video boxing up the items to be sold, and buyers video unboxing, to prove if something is off. I believe it enough that it got my attention.
That qualifies as mail fraud....

I over share contact information and (obviously) use my real name, and have been in all of the forums I use.

I always G&S, and pay fees, if that's refused (and I've had sellers try to rationalize not sharing contact info or refusing G&S) I generally move along...

I've been on forums since ~2009, no issues, and I've bought a LOT...

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
School me
PayPal has buyer protection. I venmo things like Scout dues, athletic fees for my kids, people I know. Maybe (probably?) I'm ignorant about Venmo, Zelle features and fee structure though...

PayPal has buyer protection. I venmo things like Scout dues, athletic fees for my kids, people I know. Maybe (probably?) I'm ignorant about Venmo, Zelle features and fee structure though...

Paypal has a goods and services option which requires the seller to input tracking information before funds are released. It comes with a small fee ~3%, but is a method of protecting the buyer.

Makes sense, thanks

fwafwow

WKR
I'm told memes make you seem more credible.
100%. Although I do know of one exception....
Guess I’m too honest and not a scamming POS. I don’t see how, but I believe you. If only people spent as much time working at being productive and honest. Kind of like computer hackers.
They are clever AF.
I'll believe that when I see it. That's the argument that scammers use.

If it were to happen, (which I doubt it ever will) your original cost basis (which hasn't been mentioned) should offset against your sale price. Selling for less than purchase price (theoretically) would create deductions. There's currently no related FASB proposals related to this....

I agree that the relevance of the new 1099-K rule is IMHO overstated. The $600 rule has been extended a few times. (See below.) When and if someone does get a Form 1099-K, there will be no deductions for sales less than your basis, unless your selling is a trade or business. But if you do get a Form 1099-K, it won't be the end of the world. TurboTax.

https://www.paypal.com/us/cshelp/ar...reporting-requirements-help543?locale.x=en_US

Here is the info right from PayPal, all payments via goods and services over $600 will receive a 1099-k which is sent to the IRS. Started January 1, 2024 so it is already in effect.
The PayPal information is out of date. The $600 rule was extended again - but I suppose that doesn't mean that PP has to follow it. The Federal threshold for 2024 is $5k. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-an...d-of-5000-for-2024-to-phase-in-implementation. Interestingly, at least to me, there are some in Congress (I believe many of which are Republicans) who are upset with the IRS for extending the rule without the authority to do so.
As for the IRS the issue would be proving your cost basis, some stuff I can find receipts for but other stuff I can’t. At that point I have no idea how you go about rectifying that discrepancy with them.
I'm pretty sure there are ways other than the receipt to demonstrate basis, but I believe it's only needed if audited - not on the original return.

That qualifies as mail fraud....
Yep. Probably not much concern for a scammer who is already stealing from someone.

fwafwow

WKR
Tracking doesn’t indicate what was in the package. I could mail you a box of dog shit instead of the gold bars I sold you. Tracking proves nothing.
Bro! You let the “poop replacement” trick out of the bag.

IDVortex

WKR
Well, I'm a FNG, work for the goverment and have beach front property in northern idaho to sell for about 2k, to help pay for my Seekins..I mean my dying wife if anyone is interested.

Reactions: OMF

tony

WKR
Zelle - I just signed up to use it.
From what I read there is little a buyer can do to recoup their funds if they are scammed.