BHA rendezvous !

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t say that I “hate” them but I can give you a reason I don’t support them.

I signed up, paid my member dues once. Talked with the chapter head and told him that I wanted to help on any projects they had. I worked on farms, construction and landscaping, so I am pretty handy with a lot of tools and equipment. He told me he would let me know. Never heard from them unless they wanted money. I spoke with someone else about it and they basically told me they had all the help they needed but it was the same people in every picture.

I have aired this greevence a couple times and people with BHA have reached out to me. Even got contacted by one of the bigger people, they apologized for the problem and got me in contact with the state chapter head. It’s been a couple years, still haven’t been invited to help on a project.

There is an organization that I have been very outspoken about my lack of support for but they do some very good projects on my local unit. I have helped them numerous times, many of the people that put it on know I don’t support their organization but yet, they make sure that I am invited to help. Never once have they asked me to join or donate anything other than time.
I think this is a very valid issue.

I've been on the board of a conservation organization, and I'm sure stuff like this happens a lot more than any of us would like to admit...

CorbLand

WKR
I think this is a very valid issue.

I've been on the board of a conservation organization, and I'm sure stuff like this happens a lot more than any of us would like to admit...
I get how it can happen. BHA isn’t the only one that does it. Full disclosure, I financially donate to two nonprofits and two only.

Any of the others, if you have a valid project and I can be there, I am there.

The one organization that I don’t really like, has gone out of their way to make sure I am involved. They helped me through the paperwork to do my own project, brought me the equipment needed and even reached out when it was done to thank me and tell me I did a good job. They are getting close to becoming a third that gets money from me.

I get how it can happen. BHA isn’t the only one that does it. Full disclosure, I financially donate to two nonprofits and two only.

Any of the others, if you have a valid project and I can be there, I am there.

The one organization that I don’t really like, has gone out of their way to make sure I am involved. They helped me through the paperwork to do my own project, brought me the equipment needed and even reached out when it was done to thank me and tell me I did a good job. They are getting close to becoming a third that gets money from me.
You approach non profits about like I do.

There's 3 that get money from me, they are also the 3 that I have worked with on projects, and feel that my efforts are valued and appreciated.

MThuntr

WKR
I have mixed thoughts about BHA. I support their mission statement but some of their acts don't work for me and I stopped paying dues. I'd help out with some of the public land projects if it worked for my schedule but it never does. I used to go to the rendezvous and liked the beer fest and cooking competition but it got way too "bro" for me.

A few years ago when they were at the Holiday Inn in Missoula, it was so crowded we had to have our meal in the bar area and were basically served leftovers while people in the banquet hall got to listen to the presentations. Not that I cared about the presenters but that was part of paying to attend.

ODB

WKR
Let's revisit the logical and objective reasons why there is so much hate for BHA on this forum. Seriously, what are they?

They work for public access to public lands and water as well as conservation of those lands and waters. That's their mission and they get quite a bit of that done.

They do so on the backs of hunters without a great deal of support on ancillary topics that also affect hunters as if those topics are somehow disconnected from how a hunter utilizes public land.

They are not as interested in capturing a larger percentage of current hunters as they are in curating new hunters. This is because they political demographic of newer hunters aligns better with their own political beliefs.

I’ve said it 1000 times: they just need to change the name and leave off hunters and anglers.

Also, if you are Ok with someone like Ryan Busse speaking for you, you might think again.

I stopped supporting them when they were for limiting deer carcass movement in Wisconsin. Within our CWD counties they wanted no deer movement. Hunting next to the county line makes that impossible and they didn’t see any issues with what was proposed. I live 3 miles from where I hunt but would not have been able to bring a deer home without deboning it or taking it to a processor. Glad that law/rule the DNR had got changed before season that year.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't support them even if I agreed with them due to how much money they waste on partying. I was once invited to a big event they put on out in the desert and it just a free hippie bonfire with free beer and food.

Don't think for a second that your money is being spent wisely.

Add to that, the people leading BHA support political figures who want to see my way of life shut down and it's a none starter.

sacklunch

WKR
So post #20 means they are anti 2a?

Just trying to figure where they’ve said they are anti 2a. Then there’s that pesky press release stating their support for it.
As long as they say so, it must be true👍

Google is your friend. I'd urge you to do a little reading up on the individuals in leadership, both current and former. Or don't and just continue to drink their koolaid, I don't much care.

Let's revisit the logical and objective reasons why there is so much hate for BHA on this forum. Seriously, what are they?

They work for public access to public lands and water as well as conservation of those lands and waters. That's their mission and they get quite a bit of that done.
When I first heard of them, I liked what they had to say. I’m all for public land after all. I was even a member for a year.

First I heard that their CEO Land Tawney endorsed Obama in 2008. That gave me pause given Obamas stance on guns, but given that Republicans were discussing selling/transferring federal land I could see his point.

Then another board member, Ryan Busse came out with his book, and started working directly for the DNC. 2023 isn’t 2008 and it’s very clear that the DNC is largely controlled by people who are no friend to hunting and hunters.

Finally some of the other folks who are deeply involved with BHA (SO) got exposed for being starkly anti 2A and very much in bed with the DNC.

Then I listened to the Kifarucast episode with Busse and Tawney. And finally, there is their “outspoken” WY chapter leader who I won’t mention here, whom I not only disagree with on the gun issue but is arguably openly hostile to the concerns of nonresident hunters. That was enough for me. Once is an occurrence, twice a coincidence, and threes a trend. It doesn’t take much scratching to find out just who much of their leadership really is.

I view them sorta like my union (IAFF.) On a local level they do a lot of good work, and I’m glad to have them. But the top leadership is very much in bed with some folks I severely disagree with and whose larger agenda will do much more harm to us than help us.

It doesn’t take a lot of searching to find where far left political leadership will take us with regards to hunting opportunities. WA, OR, NJ, etc. Look at any trapping or hunting ban and see who is behind it.

That’s not an endorsement of the GOP’s history on public land, but I’d say most Republicans are much more likely to see the value in public land rather than a far left Democrat see the value in hunting or trapping.

As an alternate look at SCI. Just quietly getting shit done on behalf of hunters, with a real lobbying arm to boot.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
As long as they say so, it must be true👍

Google is your friend. I'd urge you to do a little reading up on the individuals in leadership, both current and former. Or don't and just continue to drink their koolaid, I don't much care.

Lol I’ve done plenty on them. Yes Busse is a former employee and anti 2a. I don’t support them currently, just get annoyed when people argue that they are anti 2a when there’s nothing in their mission stating this. Who in current leadership is anti and where can I read about it?

TSAMP

WKR
I wouldn't support them even if I agreed with them due to how much money they waste on partying. I was once invited to a big event they put on out in the desert and it just a free hippie bonfire with free beer and food.

Don't think for a second that your money is being spent wisely.

Add to that, the people leading BHA support political figures who want to see my way of life shut down and it's a none starter.
In the interest of transparency see attached for 2021. I am suprised at how high salaries are considering the salaries of the top two leaders combined is under 250k last I checked. I looked because I was curious what they spent on "outreach" myself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317_125528_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20230317_125528_Drive.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 165

sacklunch

WKR
Lol I’ve done plenty on them. Yes Busse is a former employee and anti 2a. I don’t support them currently, just get annoyed when people argue that they are anti 2a when there’s nothing in their mission stating this. Who in current leadership is anti and where can I read about it?
Not here to spoon feed you buddy. Also not my problem you didn't do your homework before sending them your money.

Cool shirt though #publiclandowner 👌

cmahoney

WKR
I
6537a3ae55cc10f3a568fb86ab640ad0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLJ

WKR
So post #20 means they are anti 2a?

Just trying to figure where they’ve said they are anti 2a. Then there’s that pesky press release stating their support for it.

It also says they’ve never engaged in any 2A policies and they don’t plan to. Can it be both??

Status
Not open for further replies.