Big man backpack

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
So here is the issue, I am 6' 6" and right at 265 and I need a pack that will support a 23 to 24 inch torso length. Any ideas on what company to go with, I have been looking at kuiu but they only go to 22 inches, I have also been looking at stone glacier, mystery ranch, kifaru, nimrod, or others if anyone has any different ideas. I was hoping to get a pack in the 5000 ci area, that could compress down to a day pack, with a load shelf, and a modular system so that a larger bag cold be added. I already have a "truck bag" and an old school wilderness wander that is awesome for heavy loads so this would be middle of the road pack for a 5 to 6 day trip. Not sure I like the bat wing design that is on the new nomad, although they did a hell of a job designing a VERY modular pack system! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

shaun

WKR
Why don't you look at a Kifaru Bikini frame with the Timberline 2 bag. I would think that would be what you want! They have a lot more options than just the nomad.

j-bow

Lil-Rokslider
Im not quite as tall as you(almost 6-4) I am more than pleased with my Timberline 2 on a bikini frame. The pack carries great, even with up to 90#. The load lifters do their job well and the pack is really comfortable for me. I am new to the backcountry hunting but did experiment with a few other packs(mystery ranch, badlands)but as soon as there was over 40# in them they became very uncomfortable.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here are some pictures for reference on a guy just short of 6 feet 5 inches.uploadfromtaptalk1387728008210.jpg
Paradox has a LOT!
uploadfromtaptalk1387728039774.jpg
Stone Glacier has plenty as well.
uploadfromtaptalk1387728069415.jpg
And Kifaru does the job as well.

All three provide plenty of lift.

Jdog

WKR
I am 6'8" 240 lbs and have a long torso...the Kifaru fit me VERY well.

I tried the KUIUs and they are a tad too short for me.

I currently use a Kifaru duplex frame with a High Camp 7000 bag. They are bombproof and the duplex frame is LEGIT.

Recently tested on a DIY AK dall hunt...did several miles loaded down as we killed two rams and did ~60 miles in the boots.

Attachments

• IMG_0490x.jpg
    IMG_0490x.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0491x.jpg
    IMG_0491x.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 77

Jdog

WKR
Here is a frontal pic of the Duplex Frame with a DT1 bag attached and fully loaded for a 10 day sheep hunt.

I show you the front pic to show you how all the straps correctly line up on my long torso--key for tall dudes like you and me.

Attachments

• IMG_2823.jpg
    IMG_2823.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2848.jpg
    IMG_2848.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 71

Jdog

WKR
for comparison...here is the KUIU Icon. Although it had some cool factors to it--it didn't have enough verticle torso adjustment for me and kept riding up over the center of my hips. The Kifaru has far more vertical adjustment and seems more heavy duty construction...and no doubt, will fit you. Note--I am 6'8" and about 240 lbs.

Attachments

• Inconfront3.jpg
    Inconfront3.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Iconrear2.jpg
    Iconrear2.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Iconside2.jpg
    Iconside2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
you guys dont even have to climb mountains.... just go half way up and peek over haha. I am 6'2'' and have tons of lifters left on my Duplex and bikini frames. Even if you had 2 more inches of torso I would say you would be good to go.

Joe

Jdog

WKR
you guys dont even have to climb mountains.... just go half way up and peek over haha. I am 6'2'' and have tons of lifters left on my Duplex and bikini frames. Even if you had 2 more inches of torso I would say you would be good to go.

Joe

yep...what he said!

OP
E

E Wa Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the advice jdog, you even make me look short! I agree that the kuiu will be too short. It looks like it will be coming down to two different packs, the Kifaru or the stone glacier. I like the new stone glacier sky series mainly due to the supposed easy to use load shelf, but will have to wait and see more videos on it. The other pack that I am looking at is the Kifaru bikini frame (or hunting frame not sure on the differences yet) with either a DT 2 or high camp bag. I will also do some research on the nomad. By the way great pics!! Some day I will be able to hunt Ak! Just curium what sleeping bag did you go with for the length?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You could actually run a paradox out to a 30 inch frame pretty easily which should provide a torso of 24 or 25 inches if need be. We have not had anyone need to yet but it could be done easily. You basically would have a 26 inch frame with extensions.

Kevin

Jdog

WKR
Thanks for the advice jdog, you even make me look short! I agree that the kuiu will be too short. It looks like it will be coming down to two different packs, the Kifaru or the stone glacier. I like the new stone glacier sky series mainly due to the supposed easy to use load shelf, but will have to wait and see more videos on it. The other pack that I am looking at is the Kifaru bikini frame (or hunting frame not sure on the differences yet) with either a DT 2 or high camp bag. I will also do some research on the nomad. By the way great pics!! Some day I will be able to hunt Ak! Just curium what sleeping bag did you go with for the length?

I was a bit hesitant on the Kifaru on my initial purchase--they are costly...but after 2 consecutive sheep hunts and lots of miles loaded down...the Duplex Frame is awesome for heavy loads and stability. I never worry about that bag and frame failing on a DIY hunt several miles in. THERE IS NO COMPANY THAT TESTS THEIR GEAR FOR DURABILITY LIKE KIFARU. I lived in CO for 4 years and saw Aron Snyder try to break stuff--Kifaru never failed...and he spends LOTS of days annually in the backcountry...more than most guides.

I also like Kifaru's versatility with being able to change out bags with the duplex frame. I started with a DT1 and changed to a High Camp and they both worked great--my preference is the High Camp.

Sleeping bag...I bought a Western Mountaineering 7' Badger with Gore exterior 4 years ago. It is great and I love the feel and warmth of quality down. Plus it actually fits me! :)