Big Sky, Montana where to eat and what to do?

I am turning 40 in early May and headed to Big Sky for a long weekend with some old military buddies and their wives. None of us have ever stayed in the area and I am looking for some suggestions on good places to eat and maybe some good hikes or other things to do in the area. Also, if you have any places to avoid that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

jimh406

WKR
You will be just North of West Yellowstone, so maybe a Yellowstone day trip. There is also good fishing in the area, so you could maybe book a trip with a local guide to fish or sightsee on the river.

def90

WKR
I skied Big Sky last year, not a ton of choices for food if that is where you are staying.

As for what to do.. Yellowstone (early May is great as it will not be as busy as usual but you can still get caught in a traffic jam or two even in early May), fly fish, mountain bike, hike, go to Bozeman.

Elk97

WKR
ScissorBills up by the hotel at the ski area is good for grub and beer. Second the Riverhouse for BBQ - better be hungry. The Corral bar and restaurant has great food and atmosphere (not Big Sky), maybe 4-5 miles south of Riverhouse . If you are looking for really good food ($$$) try Buck's T4.

OP
doncarpenter
Thanks for all the info. I should have said we do plan on doing Yellowstone one day and a fly fishing trip. I'm looking forward to it.

Mt Al

WKR
Buck's T4! All the other suggestions are good as well. Depending on the snow, Northfork trail, beehive basin, ousil falls and others are right out of bigsky. Recommend looking at the Ridge Trail, overlooks the Northfork and excellent views of Mt. Wilson.

Going into Yellowstone via West Yellowstone would be a great trip.

Ridge Runner

Lil-Rokslider
The gallatin riverhouse is the best food i've found in Big Sky. It's a BBQ joint about 2 miles south of town.
Is that the place with the restaurant on the right side and bar on the left? If so it is great. Food was good and had a blast with my wife in the bar. Hit it on a Sunday night on turn over day for all the guest ranches. Bunch of kids that worked at the ranches having a good time at the bar with a really good country band.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Gotta get a corral burger at The Corral if you’re in Big Sky. The place is a Gallatin Canyon institution.

2ski

WKR
I am turning 40 in early May and headed to Big Sky for a long weekend with some old military buddies and their wives. None of us have ever stayed in the area and I am looking for some suggestions on good places to eat and maybe some good hikes or other things to do in the area. Also, if you have any places to avoid that would be helpful as well.

Thanks!

So what did you end up doing?

Had I found thus before now, I would've said have beers at Beehive Basin Brewing.

OP
doncarpenter
So what did you end up doing?

Had I found thus before now, I would've said have beers at Beehive Basin Brewing.
We rented a cabin near the resort, which turns out basically shuts down for May because it's between the ski season and summer season. Most of the suggested places above in this thread were closed for the whole month. The weather was cool and it snowed every day that we were there. We hiked a couple local hikes, spent some time wandering. We spent one day in Yellowstone. I wish we would have just spent all the days in Yellowstone since that was my first time there and there is so much to see and do.

That part of Montana is beautiful and I can see why so many non-native Montanans end up there. Everyone we talked to was not from Montana.

It was a good trip because of the friends I went with, I probably wouldn't go back to Big Sky to visit since I dont ski at all, unless I go for the Total Archery Challenge someday.
d2c20b4280f5bc31636523bc0f6dfcb4.jpg