Bino Dilemma (Swaro vs Zeiss)

archp625

WKR
I’m in the market for a new pair of binos. I currently have Vortex DB 10 x 42’s so the SLC or the Conquest HD’s will be a huge upgrade. I was all set on the SLC’s based on the reviews on here. I went to Cabelas today and the Zeiss seemed better to me. The picture looked brighter and I could read small print better. The SLC’s seemed a little dull and I really had to work on the focus to get it perfect to read a small sign. I also thought it was odd the SLC’s didn’t have an adjusted for the right eye.

Am I crazy or should I just buy the SLC’s and get used to it?

It really comes down to what YOUR eyes like best. I would go with whatever pair looks the best to you. I personally like the Swaro 10x42 EL HD's the best, so that is what I went with. Buddy's of mine have Leica, Zeiss or Swaro, and all are happy with their bino's. If possible, go to your sporting goods store close to dark and ask to go outside with them on a tripod. Many years ago, I worked at Sportsmans warehouse and that was common practice.

You have to lift up on the focus wheel for the diopter adjustment on swarovskis. They may not have been perfectly adjusted for you. I’ve owned conquest 8s and 10s, they are a great optic. Center of view will be as good as slc but the slc will have a bigger sweet spot. Take them outside and pay more attention to the perimeter of the view rather than dead center. If your eyes still prefer the conquest then get those.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
SLC for the win.

You need to properly adjust diopter.

SLC and my Leica Ultravid HD plus in 10x50 are the two best 10x binoculars to my eyes. I do not like field flattening designs like the Swarovision, Zeiss SF or Leica noctivid.

I have also owned the Conquest HD,Zeiss Victory HT and Victory FL,Meopta Meostar HD, Swarovski EL swarovision and others in 10x.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
Try to find a place where you can look through as many as possible. Your eyes will tell you what you should get. I would look at customer service next. I have had good experiences with Zeiss and Swarovski for scope repairs and just okay experience with Leica. I chose a pair of Swarovski 8.5x42 Els a couple years ago. To me, the view was better than Zeiss. Wouldn't look at the Leica's due to my previous CD experience compared to the other two. Use advice to get you to products to try out. Your eyes will tell you what works best for you.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
Did you look through the victories ?
I did not. They are over my budget. I looked the the Razor UHD, Conquest HD and the SLC. All 8in 10x42. I didn’t know how to set the diopter at the tine and neither did the guy behind the counter. They may have been the issue with the SLC’s.
People are saying go back at last light. The problem is they lose before it gets dark due to the corona virus.

2blade

WKR
I have a pair of slc's and conquests. The only difference I see, with my eyes, is the slc controls chromatic aberration better. However, I really have to look for it to see the difference.

Get what your eyes like best, you're the one thats going to be looking thru em all day.

Am I crazy or should I just buy the SLC’s and get used to it?

I mean no offence here. I find it interesting you are willing to pick an option that did not look good to you based on internet opinion/influence. You literally said one option looked better but were willing to pick the other option and "get used to it" because the forum tells you to get Swaro's.

I know in hindsight there was an issue with the comparison. Still fascinating one would be influenced that way. Guess there is good reason for companies to pay those influencers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
To be fair, go back, adjust the diopter on the SLCs, then compare again. Lift up on the center wheel, adjust the right eye to you and push back down to lock it in, then compare. If the Zeiss still looks better then you have your answer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forest

WKR
The conquests are a great piece of glass for the money. My eyes love their color of glass. The slcs are tough to beat also but by no means should you feel like you have to spend the extra money just because. Get what your eyes like and wallet can afford

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

NoWiser

WKR
How can someone who works at an optics counter not know how to adjust the diopter on a pair of SLCs? And isn’t there a set of instructions in the box? You didn’t really compare the two if you didn’t adjust the diopter on both.

sneaky

"DADDY"
How can someone who works at an optics counter not know how to adjust the diopter on a pair of SLCs? And isn’t there a set of instructions in the box? You didn’t really compare the two if you didn’t adjust the diopter on both.
Cabelas. That's how. Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Novy

FNG
A comparison someone told me about is find a darker corner of the store and look through both. Usually one is brighter or you can see more detail. Take your time and make sure both are set for your eyes. You can check edge clarity by looking at mounts across the store also. I run swaro el but a good friend runs zeiss sf, I have spent hours comparing off a tripod and both are great.

You didn’t really compare the two if you didn’t adjust the diopter on both.

This ^^^^. Look up how to adjust the diopter on both and go back on a cloudy/overcast day if they close before last light. Then adjust both properly to your eyes and let your eyes choose what is best for you.

OP
archp625

archp625

WKR
I mean no offence here. I find it interesting you are willing to pick an option that did not look good to you based on internet opinion/influence. You literally said one option looked better but were willing to pick the other option and "get used to it" because the forum tells you to get Swaro's.

I know in hindsight there was an issue with the comparison. Still fascinating one would be influenced that way. Guess there is good reason for companies to pay those influencers.
I know and see exactly what you are saying. I am from the Midwest and mainly hunt ducks. I have taken people advice before on items that I wasn’t in love with at the beginning to find out later it’s the best thing every. This was more or less intended to be a poll.