Binocular power for guided sheep hunt

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for opinions on what power binocular I should bring on a guided Dall sheep hunt. Guide has a swaro spotter and I don’t plan to bring mine as I will gladly keep the weight out of my pack!

that said, I have a pair of 8.5x42 Swarovski EL’s and I have two pairs of 10 power top-end glass with swaro slc’s and zeiss FLs. They are all within a few ounces of each other, with the ELs performing slightly better in very low light conditions, but oddly enough being a few ounces heavier than the others.

would you lean to the higher magnification, or better low light abilities with a wider field of view and slightly more weight? Interested to hear opinions from those that have “lived it” so to speak.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Don’t overthink it. 10x42s are my binos of choice. Higher power will be good because it’s likely going to be big country, whether it be AK or CAN. But really it’s preference. Bring whatever you’re going to enjoy using the most.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeathH

FNG
You have a luxury, you probably can’t go wrong. I used Swaro 10x42s but those ELs are great too. I’d take whichever bino/harness setup is the most comfortable to hike in and enjoy the country, it’s beautiful. A couple ounces won’t be noticeable.

Bambistew

WKR
You won't be hunting sheep in low light conditions such as dawn and dusk. It will likely be light out for 20hrs or more.

Don't really need a large field of view, as you'll be sitting and glsssing a lot, with plenty of time to scan. My wife has 8x binos and always want to use my 10x.

nosler

FNG
In the words of TIM the TOOLMAN..........more power.

up against the wall Redneck Mother

Took my SLC 15s on a Dall/grizzly hunt. Great for glassing (plus had a STX 65) but sucked for quick looks.

Am taking my SLC 10s, and my STX 65, on my mountain goat hunt this year.

AKMoose

WKR
Anyone ever used 8x32s on a sheep hunt? Alsmot half the weight of the 10x42s so just something I've contemplated.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
Anyone ever used 8x32s on a sheep hunt? Alsmot half the weight of the 10x42s so just something I've contemplated.

That's all I'll be taking from now on. Bought some 12xEL last year and took them instead of my well loved 8x EL. Won't make that mistake again.

Yes. Those are perfect for sheep hunts, they are what I had been using before I went back to my 10 x 25's.

I own Leica Ultravid 8x32 (pre-HD) and Swarovision 10x42 ELs. I use the 10x42s exclusively for sheep here in BC, DIY but also in the NWT when I was on a guided Dall bow hunt. The 8x32 are nice to carry but you give up some capability above tree line with them. That said, I arrowed my first Bighorn in CO using Zeiss 10x25 binoculars.

Go hunt sheep and don't stress over the 8X or 10X decision! Good luck!

I generally use a 10x42 on mountain hunts. Your premium brand of choice and a harness will do. I glass a lot on sheep hunts so it is imperative to have a super-high contrast and fully immersive view. On first glance most any mid-level binocular will look good in full daylight but after a few hours my eyes and brain will clearly notice the difference. Ergonomics and handling is also vitally important when glassing a lot. Some binoculars feel like a brick after free-hand glassing for a period of time.

tuffcity

WKR
At the distances you'll be looking for sheep your field of view isn't going to be an issue, as well as mentioned, in July you'll get a "dim" period of "night". Maybe an couple of hours at most where glassing is tougher. Go with the 10X's